Amusing Mystic thought

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Amusing Mystic thought

Unread post by Mack »

Suppose a Mystic picks up the super-psychic power Mind Bond and uses it on another mage. Would the Mystic be able to cast any spell known by the other mage (at least until the Mind Bond's effects wear off)?
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Re: Amusing Mystic thought

Unread post by Warshield73 »

Have to say no. Mystics do not actually learn or cast spells. They have mystical abilities that act like spells but they aren't so getting the knowledge of how to cast a spell wouldn't really work for them. IMO.
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Unread post by Warshield73 »

Have to say no. Mystics do not actually learn or cast spells. They have mystical abilities that act like spells but they aren't so getting the knowledge of how to cast a spell wouldn't really work for them. IMO.
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
Soldier of Od
Hero

Unread post by Soldier of Od »

The mystic mind-bonder learns all the skills of the other person, so, for learned magic such as wizardry, it could be argued that they would learn the "skill" of spellcasting as part of the mind bond. Although this is not technically under the heading of skills, I would certainly allow the mind bonder to access skill-like O.C.C. abilities such as recognise enchantment, reading/writing runes or oghrunes, or horsemanship: palladin, so I guess it could be extended to include the skill of spellcasting, as it is a learned ability. But not granted spells such as those of other mystics, warlocks or witches. I'm inclined to allow it mainly for the adventure opportunities!
Rifter Contributor:
Rifter 61 – Purebred animal templates for Mutants in Avalon (After the Bomb)
Rifter 77 & 78 – Khemennu, City of the Eighteen Cosmic Gods (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – The Prophet O.C.C. (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – Half-Ogres (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 84 – Spellbound O.C.C. (Nightbane)
Rifter 85 – Relics of Empire: Elven Cities of the Old Kingdom (Palladium Fantasy)
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

From a Balance POV I want to say that no, the psychic cannot cast magic (or other psionic powers) from the donor. It keeps things simple.

From a Technical POV I will say that yes, you can cast spells (and the psionic powers are if available to the Mind Bonder's race) and magic powers provided they have sufficient PPE and the power/spells are not linked in origin (ex. Preist spells or Warlock). However this does create a follow up question
-is there some penalty for a Mystic who (even temporarily) learns to do normal invocations? When you mix magic types there is usually some penalty, so this is not without some precedent. For example a PF Diabolist can learn Rifts Nazca Line Magic (and vise versa), but there is some penalty associated with it.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Mack wrote:Suppose a Mystic picks up the super-psychic power Mind Bond and uses it on another mage. Would the Mystic be able to cast any spell known by the other mage (at least until the Mind Bond's effects wear off)?

Mystics are not Mages, they just intuitively know how to use a few bits of magic.

In the terminology found in the Mysteries of Magic 1 book Mystics are grouped with Warlocks and witches into the Magical Arts. These are magic users that that get their magic through intuitively or is granted to them from SuperNatural Beings.

While mages..aka wizards...are within the grouping the Magical Sciences. These magic users gain the ability to cast magic through years of hard work and study.
-------------------------
In a modern explanation, those of the mystic arts don't have the brain structures needed to cast magic that was not granted to them by a SN being or what they can cast through their psychic abilities.

While Mind Bond might give the psychic any technical knowledge about how to case magic, it does not change the psychic's brain to be able to cast spells like a wizard/mage does.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
barna10
Hero
Comment: Started playing Palladium in 1990.

Unread post by barna10 »

According to the old F.A.Q., yes this works
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

I thought that I had once read that one couldn't steal a mage's spell knowledge via telepathy, mind bond, or similar method. I don't recall where I read that though and am looking in a few spots to see if I can find it.

EDIT: Page 55 of Mysteries of Magic states that certain psychic powers can be useful for teaching/learning spells. It also points out diabolists and summoners can't use this method to learn spell magic. That page says nothing about mystics (but it might on other pages). It also says nothing about stealing a mage's spell knowledge via psychic means. It does say that mages can't be tortured for their knowledge.
barna10
Hero
Comment: Started playing Palladium in 1990.

Unread post by barna10 »

Somewhere in Phaseworld is a place one can go to learn things via psychic means.... haven't read that in years
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

The Beast wrote:EDIT: Page 55 of Mysteries of Magic states that certain psychic powers can be useful for teaching/learning spells. It also points out diabolists and summoners can't use this method to learn spell magic. That page says nothing about mystics (but it might on other pages). It also says nothing about stealing a mage's spell knowledge via psychic means. It does say that mages can't be tortured for their knowledge.

I would probably not allow a mystic to grab spell knowledge this way, because, for me, a mystic doesn't really cast spells like a wizard. The mystic's style is completely idiosyncratic, and they don't have the experience to cast spells like a wizard any more than a mind mage does. A wizard who has Mind Bond probably could, and I'd let a wizard with Insert Memory to use it to teach spells to someone who knows how to cast.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Mack wrote:Suppose a Mystic picks up the super-psychic power Mind Bond and uses it on another mage. Would the Mystic be able to cast any spell known by the other mage (at least until the Mind Bond's effects wear off)?

No, it does not confer the belief/ability to be able to cast those spells, only the knowledge of how that mage casts those skills. Because the skills and belief were gained through Learning (reference the terms Magical Sciences and Magical Arts in the PFMoM1 page 7) are the antithesis of the way of magic the mystic gains his/her powers. And trying to use the knowledge is like an artist trying to solve the equations of quantum mechanics in a few hours.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”