Mind Blank Auto Defense. Various interpetations of it.

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

GT
Explorer

Mind Blank Auto Defense. Various interpetations of it.

Unread post by GT »

Mind Block Auto Defense.

Most people I think say its an "Auto Defense" that kicks on and the Psi can decide to let it go down and such.

Some others say its an always on mind block that keeps you from using any or most forms of psionics what so ever. Even if you want to lower it, making it a totally useless power what so ever to take.

Any one got an official interpretation of it?
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: Mind Blank Auto Defense. Various interpetations of it.

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

*pokes your PMs*

Going by the "name" it only blocks when defending from something on the outside wanting to get in.

Anything that says that the psi with it is always blocking themselves from using psi is ...incorrect (to say in the least expletive using terms)
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

near-perfect passive immunity to all offensive psionics (only *near*-perfect because there's one rare type of psychic that iirc can actually do something about it) doesn't need extra things to make it better than the already-good mind block power. to me, if it is actively defending something you are blocked from using outgoing psionics.

that said, I don't consider it to be always-onunless otherwise specified, I just count it as active for one action after the last time it was active; that is, if someone tries to use empathic projection on you and you don't suppress the auto-defense response (which I only allow if you're aware of the attack) you will have a regular mind active.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

GT wrote:Mind Block Auto Defense.

Most people I think say its an "Auto Defense" that kicks on and the Psi can decide to let it go down and such.

Some others say its an always on mind block that keeps you from using any or most forms of psionics what so ever. Even if you want to lower it, making it a totally useless power what so ever to take.

Any one got an official interpretation of it?

The description in the book makes it pretty clear that it only comes on when the probe/attack happens and it stays in effect until the probe/attack is over. If your GM has ruled that it's on all the time, however, then that's something to discuss with them.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

It only comes on when you're attacked.
Unless there's some rule somewhere stating that you can choose to stop a psychic power before the duration is up just by willing it, then it'll stay up for as long as the power description says.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”