PPE regeneration and lesser spells of Living Magic

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Axelmania
Knight

PPE regeneration and lesser spells of Living Magic

Unread post by Axelmania »

Pg 18 of Rifter 23 talks about how Living Magics need 1 PPE per day to survive. This is probably intended to come from the Spell Breather but I can't actually see anything saying it couldn't come from other sources...

Since all Living Magics appear to be spellcasters (they can all cast at least the spell which created them, albeit that will kill them) would they follow standard rules on being able to draw PPE from other people?

Though it occurs to me that these rules are actually about casting spells directly with that PPE as opposed to using it to refill your PPE base or fulfill daily PPE demands, so maybe it wouldn't be as helpful as I'd assume.

LMs based on low level spells probably can't cast other spells, while I'm not sure how to decide on what spells to giving LMs based on higher level spells except to draw on NPC examples of them.

I did think of an interesting trick to make them more useful though... what if you created a Living Magic on a Ley Line Nexus?

If you did that, then wouldn't they be "Nexus Born" and get a PPE boost?

This would make them capable of casting the spell which created them without dying, since they'd have slightly more PPE than the spell would cost.

Apparently the way it seems to work is that LMs die at 0 PPE so if their PPE is ever stolen by some means that could end them. Since they are technically spellcasters the ability to borrow PPE from the non-consenting is probably not one such means.

There is that spell "Draw Ectoplasm from Others" in TTGD which seems like an auto-kill spell for any Living Magic if they fail their save though... can anyone think of some way to protect against that?

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”