mental guard vs Saves.

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

pblackcrow
Champion

mental guard vs Saves.

Unread post by pblackcrow »

Bit of a question.

Should someone who doesn't believe in either magic or psionics, never "seen" it before, (so they have never truly developed any type of "mental guard" against it) get a minus on saves until they see physically see and/or to their knowledge experience it and uh "See the light"? Basically, it's a question that keeps coming up in the game that I am in.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
ShadowHawk
Dungeon Crawler

Re: mental guard vs Saves.

Unread post by ShadowHawk »

On that same thought...And not to get off of your initial question, I think you will agree that the two questions run hand and hand. But is it possible to catch a normal somebody, who does have a clue and some idea off guard with spells and psionics?
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

how would knowing about it help? it isn't like you're actively planning out how to protect your mind from telepathy 24/7 just because you know it actually exists.

so i would say that generally speaking nobody should suffer a penalty due to lack of awareness (that doesn't mean they aren't more vulnerable in any way; someone who is aware that psionic mind control is a thing might react very differently to the realization that they can't explain why they would be thinking or feeling a certain way, which might lead to them suspecting that a known psychic is trying to control them or lead them to search for a previously unknown psychic, or might lead to them seeking out something that offers protection from mind control).
ShadowHawk
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by ShadowHawk »

Shark_Force wrote:how would knowing about it help? it isn't like you're actively planning out how to protect your mind from telepathy 24/7 just because you know it actually exists.

so i would say that generally speaking nobody should suffer a penalty due to lack of awareness (that doesn't mean they aren't more vulnerable in any way; someone who is aware that psionic mind control is a thing might react very differently to the realization that they can't explain why they would be thinking or feeling a certain way, which might lead to them suspecting that a known psychic is trying to control them or lead them to search for a previously unknown psychic, or might lead to them seeking out something that offers protection from mind control).

Right. So, the save reduction makes sense or not?
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

ShadowHawk wrote:
Shark_Force wrote:how would knowing about it help? it isn't like you're actively planning out how to protect your mind from telepathy 24/7 just because you know it actually exists.

Right. So, the save reduction makes sense or not?

not.

it might help in other ways to be aware of the possibilities. but it isn't an important part of resisting the effect.
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

pblackcrow wrote:Bit of a question.

Should someone who doesn't believe in either magic or psionics, never "seen" it before, (so they have never truly developed any type of "mental guard" against it) get a minus on saves until they see physically see and/or to their knowledge experience it and uh "See the light"? Basically, it's a question that keeps coming up in the game that I am in.

Greetings and Salutations. Game Masters may rule how they like and house rules can affect how other rules work, but just from the basic system ...

No penalties. Knowledge is not required. Reasons I say this ...

1: No such rule exists in settings such as BtS, where the setting is based around most people not believing.

2: Nega-Psychics (I think they're the ones) specifically resist by NOT believing (along with psychic powers, but the point is they don't believe or "see the light").

3: If knowledge is required, this has further ripples such as anyone not aware a spell (or psychic power) is cast receiving similar penalties (after all, they don't KNOW the spell is being cast to actively resist), and other oddities that could arise as a result.

Knowledge of spell casting isn't required to save. Belief is a requirement of the spellcaster, not the other way around. Knowledge does help though, and that's why magic classes tend too have better saves (bonuses). That's all for now. Farewell and safe journeys.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

By the RAW that would be a big fat No. Such a thing would be a house rule. Though by RAW it might also be situational on when you need to roll in some cases.

ShadowHawk wrote:On that same thought...And not to get off of your initial question, I think you will agree that the two questions run hand and hand. But is it possible to catch a normal somebody, who does have a clue and some idea off guard with spells and psionics?

Can you catch someone off guard with Spells and Psionics? Yes. For Saving Throw purposes? No.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

Prysus wrote:No penalties. Knowledge is not required. Reasons I say this ...

1: No such rule exists in settings such as BtS, where the setting is based around most people not believing.

The closest I can see is on pg 74 for "Ordinary People", you got a +1 to save vs magic as children which you lost by the time you became a teenager/adult. On the plus side, you double your bonus vs possession and resist psychic stuff better (+2 means your 15 or higher is basically 13 or higher, nearly as good as a minor/major)

Also, like what you bring up with the nega-psychic, the OPs also automatically applied a -8% penalty (not sure if cumulative) within 10ft of clairvoyants (85-86) / mediums (87-88) / object readers (88-90)
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

No. They work based on the beleif of the caster, not the beleif of the target. There is no penalty for being faced with something new.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”