doubling up on Ritual Magic Sorcerous Proficiency (TTGD)

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Axelmania
Knight

doubling up on Ritual Magic Sorcerous Proficiency (TTGD)

Unread post by Axelmania »

Page 24 of Nightbane World Book 3 uses doubling up on the Ritual Magic proficiency as an example, saying at level 3 you can quadruple instead of double the duration.

The other benefits of this should then be:
    1) quadruple the range instead of double the range
    2) quarter the PPE cost instead of half the PPE cost

One aspect that I am wondering about though, is the downside to getting these benefits:
    15 minutes minimum length, or double the normal casting time, whichever is greater

Would it seem reasonable to double up on that also? I figure it's only fair...

In the case of low-level spells, I would think that you would use 15 and then double that to 30 minutes.

Whereas say, if it was something that already had to be cast as a ritual longer than 15 minutes, you would just quadruple the casting time required.
thorr-kan
Adventurer

Re: doubling up on Ritual Magic Sorcerous Proficiency (TTGD)

Unread post by thorr-kan »

Axelmania wrote:Page 24 of Nightbane World Book 3 uses doubling up on the Ritual Magic proficiency as an example, saying at level 3 you can quadruple instead of double the duration.

The other benefits of this should then be:
    1) quadruple the range instead of double the range
    2) quarter the PPE cost instead of half the PPE cost

One aspect that I am wondering about though, is the downside to getting these benefits:
    15 minutes minimum length, or double the normal casting time, whichever is greater

Would it seem reasonable to double up on that also? I figure it's only fair...

In the case of low-level spells, I would think that you would use 15 and then double that to 30 minutes.

Whereas say, if it was something that already had to be cast as a ritual longer than 15 minutes, you would just quadruple the casting time required.

I would read that as exactly the way to use the Ritual advantage and disadvantage. With multiple applications of each, PPE usage gets ridiculously low, but casting time and possible inability to use incantations goes through the root. Your caster might prep some tricks, but if he's caught off-guard, he'd better have some friends handy!
Axelmania
Knight

Re: doubling up on Ritual Magic Sorcerous Proficiency (TTGD)

Unread post by Axelmania »

So if you ALSO had the deficiency (MUST cast as rituals) I guess it would be 60 minutes minimum and 8x range/duration (still only 1/4 PPE though, I don't think the limitation causes PPE reduction)

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”