Necromatic combination question

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

If you combine Permanence and Union with the Dead you get:

Nothing, it doesn't combine
No votes
A Permanently fused object
60%
An object that fuses with a person every time PPE is pumped in
40%
Tacos
No votes
Other (please specifiy)
No votes

Total votes: 5

eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Necromatic combination question

Unread post by eliakon »

So I am designing some things for a game I am planning.
In the process of this I was tinkering around with some necromancy stuff and I was pondering combining a Permanence Ward and the Union with the Dead power. I am not sure how this would work out exactly.
My first thought was that it would permanently union with the person. But then I got thinking about how you can remove the items early and started wondering if you would have a bone that could be fused to you if you pump in the P.P.E.

Thoughts on the issue?
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
dreicunan
Hero

Re: Necromatic combination question

Unread post by dreicunan »

If it works for your game, whatever works, but I just don't see this being a thing canonically, as the permanence ward makes permanent the magic effects of wards, circles, magic curses, or magic spells, and I don't see the union with the dead power as falling into one of those categories.

I suppose that some might argue that the exacting wording from page 132 of PF 2nd edition, "Once activated, the ward is permanently affixed to that item or place and the entire ward phrase is indestructible and makes whatever other magic effect, be it caused by a ward, circle, magic curse or magic spell, permanent and always active in the immediate area around the ward!" is illustrative and not restrictive. I would disagree with them unless they could find evidence of other things being made permanent through a permanence ward.

If you would allow it, I'd apply the same rules as p. 132 does: the ward has to be sewn into the flesh and after a year if the ward gets removed then the necromancer and those around him are taking big damage. The sewing requirement may rule out union with things that don't have flesh to sew into.
Axelmania wrote:You of course, being the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not.
Declared the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not by Axelmania on 5.11.19.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

The reason I figured it might work was because the union powers are described as "...and muttering a spell incantation known only to those of the Necromancer O.C.C."
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
dreicunan
Hero

Unread post by dreicunan »

eliakon wrote:The reason I figured it might work was because the union powers are described as "...and muttering a spell incantation known only to those of the Necromancer O.C.C."

Well, that would change things! That particular line had never stuck in my head when I'd read that OCC before. In light of that, I suppose that it would be able to work, and there would be no need to pump in extra PPE later on. I still think that the sewing requirement might be an issue for skeletal limbs. You'd also run into the issue of MDC granted by the limbs, does it regenerate, and if so at what speed.

I'd imagine that if one was going to do this, a high level dragon head or head from a god would be a good target for making permanent.
Axelmania wrote:You of course, being the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not.
Declared the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not by Axelmania on 5.11.19.

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”