Monster Tattoo Characteristics

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Marcus Smythe
D-Bee

Monster Tattoo Characteristics

Unread post by Marcus Smythe »

Pardon a simple question that must have a clear official answer somewhere, as it is necessary to play an OCC that has been in existence for *decades*, but I just cannot find it.

Bob has a magical tattoo of a monster. That Monster has, in its entry in the conversion book, 10d6 MDC. So the summoned monster will have 60 MDC - the rules say max.

It also has 6d6 Strength. What is the Monster's Strength? Is it 36 (Max)? Is it 21 (Average)? Is it whatever is rolled on 6D6? If the later, is it rolled once, or every time?

Anyway, I know such a basic question has to have a canonical answer going back 30 years... but I just cannot find.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Re: Monster Tattoo Characteristics

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Since Monster Tattoos work like Animal Tattoos, and Animal Tattoos have examples to pull from and check across other Rifts books... The text for the various animals listed in World Book 2: Atlantis describe the Speed Attribute as Average (they few I cross checked with actual entries do line up) which would apply to the Monster Tattoos. The answer to your question appears to be "Average".

Alternatively, you could do an inventory of various NPCs looking for any with their Monster/Animal Tattoos stated but I don't know of any off hand.
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

I don't think there is a canon answer. From the NPCs I recall, none of them list the details of their monster/animal tattoos (not down to the attributes).

As an aside, consider having the artist's depiction reflect what stats you choose. Is it a very strong lion? Then the drawing is a bit larger than normal and highlights the beast's muscles. Is it an average lion? Then the drawing is unremarkable. Is it a fast lion? Then illustrate it running at full speed. Etc.

For a bit of personalization, consider letting the player select one attribute to max out. Bob might have a fast lion, where Fred has a strong one. And for those who know (T-Men and the like) they should be able to recognize the differences between Bob's tattoo and Fred's.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
Marcus Smythe
D-Bee

Unread post by Marcus Smythe »

Good advice, everyone.

I think for a generic case, the reference to averages on Animal Tattoos is probably decisive, lacking any other data.

I like the idea of 'what did the artist draw?', and might incorporate next time I find myself GMing for a TM.

Thank you both.
Mlp7029
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Mlp7029 »

We have always played the tattoo monsters have max stats.

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”