BtS mage starting PPE

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Mlp7029
Dungeon Crawler

BtS mage starting PPE

Unread post by Mlp7029 »

I don’t have BtS but I am wondering what a mage has as starting PPE to compare the magic level in the BtS setting compared to other Palladium settings. Thanks for the help.
Soldier of Od
Hero

Re: BtS mage starting PPE

Unread post by Soldier of Od »

Mlp7029 wrote:I don’t have BtS but I am wondering what a mage has as starting PPE to compare the magic level in the BtS setting compared to other Palladium settings. Thanks for the help.

Unfortunately, there is no mage in the current issue of BtS. :-(
That is something we have been waiting for, for a long time!

In the first edition of BtS, the Arcanist P.C.C. received only 6D6 P.P.E. at level one, and an additional 1D6 per level of experience starting at level two. I think this might have been the first ever character class to use P.P.E. to cast spells instead of the old "spells per day" from the earlier games. The amount of P.P.E. might not match well to the newer books that have come out since.
Rifter Contributor:
Rifter 61 – Purebred animal templates for Mutants in Avalon (After the Bomb)
Rifter 77 & 78 – Khemennu, City of the Eighteen Cosmic Gods (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – The Prophet O.C.C. (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – Half-Ogres (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 84 – Spellbound O.C.C. (Nightbane)
Rifter 85 – Relics of Empire: Elven Cities of the Old Kingdom (Palladium Fantasy)
Mlp7029
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Mlp7029 »

Soldier of Od wrote:
Mlp7029 wrote:I don’t have BtS but I am wondering what a mage has as starting PPE to compare the magic level in the BtS setting compared to other Palladium settings. Thanks for the help.

Unfortunately, there is no mage in the current issue of BtS. :-(
That is something we have been waiting for, for a long time!

In the first edition of BtS, the Arcanist P.C.C. received only 6D6 P.P.E. at level one, and an additional 1D6 per level of experience starting at level two. I think this might have been the first ever character class to use P.P.E. to cast spells instead of the old "spells per day" from the earlier games. The amount of P.P.E. might not match well to the newer books that have come out since.

Thanks that confirms the BtS magic level is even lower that Heroes Unlimited which is lower than Palladium Fantasy which is lower than Rifts Earth.
Soldier of Od
Hero

Unread post by Soldier of Od »

That is true. "Magic level" is even lower than that in BtS II - there are rules that limit the power levels of psionics and I.S.P., which increase only in the presence of the supernatural.
Rifter Contributor:
Rifter 61 – Purebred animal templates for Mutants in Avalon (After the Bomb)
Rifter 77 & 78 – Khemennu, City of the Eighteen Cosmic Gods (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – The Prophet O.C.C. (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – Half-Ogres (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 84 – Spellbound O.C.C. (Nightbane)
Rifter 85 – Relics of Empire: Elven Cities of the Old Kingdom (Palladium Fantasy)
thorr-kan
Adventurer

Unread post by thorr-kan »

I say leave'em with 6d6 PPE and no danger multiplier. You're not a thin magic line holding back the forces of Darkness. You're not a super-hero. You're a fool meddling with Things Man Was Not Meant to Know. You're *BAIT.*

But then, I see BtS through a very specific lens, which might not be for everybody.
I have a blog; come see what I've created: https://thewhiteminotaur.wordpress.com/
-The 2024 Character Creation Challenge (#charactercreationchallenge):
https://thewhiteminotaur.wordpress.com/ ... challenge/

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”