Living Magic Starting Skills

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Living Magic Starting Skills

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

I'm in the process of writing up one and would like your input/opinions.

Mostly this is about what skills the LM should have from the start. Because the LM started out from a Meta: Human spell....what natural skill(s) do you think it should have.

For my racial template I'm starting off with the LM RCC in R23, page 20-22. And modifying things to fit the char concept I came up with before looking into the books.

Iv'e had some thoughts already but I'll withhold them to give people freedom of thought about things.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
taalismn
Priest

Re: Living Magic Starting Skills

Unread post by taalismn »

Language skill to begin with...that of the original caster and perhaps the ability to read magic .
Perhaps a few other more basic skills 'Inherited' from the caster.
Because the Living Magic is 'born' of the caster's abilities, it would make sense, plus the Living Spell might have some instinctive insight into the character and memories of the caster...make a roll vs magic to see if they can remember things about he caster that slipped into them.
"Um...yeah! I think I remember something about the sea! I think Ruffolo the Great mighta had a boat?...No, he had a cottage...yeah, I think he mighta had a cottage somewhere by the sea! Can't remember what sea it was though...maybe it will come to me."

"Magister, your spell-golem just stole your car."

"Yes, MASTER, I DO know the combination to your safe. Your mother's birthday? How... predictable."
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Another thing.... Other than TtGD and Rifters 13 and 23, are there any referances in the published books about Living Magics.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

I am going to try to go over the relevant materials. This is not something I am at all familiar with.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Wouldn't Gods be considered "Living Magic" as they are "an organized batch of P.P.E. (just as all animals are nothing more than an organized batch of cells)." (D&G pg85).

Alien Intelligences (or specifically their essence fragments) might also qualify.

The Federation of Magic includes a tid bit about their Automaton operators losing control (WB16o pg95, I don't know where it would be in Revised assuming same placement as original it would be the tail end of the introduction for them) and the units either coming alive or being possessed (both of which in-universe are said to be impossible).

Conjurers and Tattoo generated monster/animals might also qualify (if only temporary)
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

*watches the tourist drop of the edge of the world, only to get stuck right there at the very edge.*
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Another thing.... Other than TtGD and Rifters 13 and 23, are there any referances in the published books about Living Magics.

had to ponder about Rifter 13... is this a reference to page 31's "Living Numbers" ? It weirdly says "much like living spells" which makes me at first think it's something different, but pg 32's "Milly Thompson" seems like a pretty standard living spell (unlike Greg Turner and Victoria Gerald).

Do you think R13 has any kind of unique insight, or just more serves as an example of what lesser spells to assign to living magics based on a high level spell?

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”