Question - Frequency of Ley Line storms and Rifts

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

darthauthor
Hero

Question - Frequency of Ley Line storms and Rifts

Unread post by darthauthor »

Good day my fellow GM readers

Researching for adventure material.

Been reading up on ley lines and rifts from Rifts Ultimate Edition.

I have found:

Two equinoxes every year: one around March 21 and another around September 22.
two solstices happen in June (20 or 21) and December (21 or 22).
There are zero to three lunar eclipses per year
Three or four partial eclipses in a year.
At ley lines, more if at a nexus, between 20% per hour or so for daylight hours. So chances are good that during the special days one or two will occur for around 2 hours.

Other than that there does not appear to be any table to roll on about when a ley line storm would happen. There are tables about what could go on during a ley line storm as well as how long it would last but not "IF" or how often a storm will occur.

If I were to make a guess I'd put the chances at 1 or 2 percent a day. So odds are 3 to 6 storms a year even though technical none could occur or they could have one every day.

I think a ley line walker has a spell Summon Ley Line Storm but the rest occur naturally
An atlantean stone pyramid should stop all naturally occuring ley line storms.

After writing this I realize I am also trying to create/predict averages for how frequently rifts occur regardless of "IF" or "WHO" comes out of them.

Please share any ideas.
killgore444
Wanderer
Comment: Brains are of little value to a warrior if they are no longer contained in his broken skull.

Re: Question - Frequency of Ley Line storms and Rifts

Unread post by killgore444 »

darthauthor wrote:Please share any ideas.

In general, you should give the same chance of a ley line erupting in a storm or rift as you give for a powerline running through town to just randomly surge and melt causing power in town to go out. :D

Otherwise, just leave them as plot devises.
History is where we look to for answers and guidance. History explains who we are, where we came from, and everything about our world. History is full of lies.
"Changing history to suit your purposes has a long and successful history."
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: Question - Frequency of Ley Line storms and Rifts

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

To paraphrase the creator of the Firefly show when he was asked how fast the ships there go...
As frequent as the plot of the story requires them to be.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.

Return to “G.M.s Forum”