What would you say is the most "complete" core rulebook?

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

What is the most "complete" core book

Rifts Ultimate Edition
24%
Heroes Unlimited
29%
Palladium Fantasy
35%
Other (Please Specify)
12%

Total votes: 17

Captain_Nibbz
Adventurer

What would you say is the most "complete" core rulebook?

Unread post by Captain_Nibbz »

To Everyone:

What would you say is the most complete core rulebook from the palladium megaverse. I may or may not be bored at work (and have been for weeks now) and I'm looking at writing my own homebrew setting using the palladium rules. I want to use another core book as a way to cherry-pick the rules for the new setting without needing to jump around much.

As for the setting, think Rifts meets Fantasy meets everything that can be found under the kitchen sink (and then some) so the flavor of the rules won't make a ton of difference.

Thoughts?
A good friend will help you hide a body. A best friend will lend you the P.P.E. you need to resurrect the body as a loyal zombie servant.

"If I kept a list of all time worst Sound Off threads, this would be way up there." - Mack
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Re: What would you say is the most "complete" core rulebook?

Unread post by Warshield73 »

From the ones listed RUE is definitely the best. I gave up on HU a long time ago and just use the RUE rules with my on mods and the others are not much better.

Now I haven't read it much but Dead Reign is the newest of the core rules so it may have tweaks and fixes that I'm not aware of.

Also, there are a few rules that I imported from Robotech 2nd ed but I still think RUE has the more complete rules.
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
Father Goose
Adventurer
Comment: If I could go back in time, I would join the cast of "The Thrilling Adventure Hour"

Unread post by Father Goose »

I would agree that RUE is the closest to being complete.
taalismn wrote:Hey, you came up with a novel, attention-getting idea, you did the legwork, you worked it through, you made it fit the setting, even though initial thought might be 'nah, it can't work, it's too silly/stupid/lame', and you posted something that only required a little adjustment, yet can be added to, without diluting its original concept. How can we not give you due support and credit?
Kraynic
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Kraynic »

Palladium Fantasy 1E was pretty complete in the core book (having others was nice, but everything you needed to play/run games was there). You definitely want more books with 2E, though. I'm not familiar enough with the others to really know how they compare.
Fenris2020
Adventurer
Comment: Go woke, go broke.

Unread post by Fenris2020 »

Palladium Fantasy 2nd edition.
You are a truly worthy foe! I shall howl a dirge in your honour and eat your heart with pride!
Shorty Lickens
Hero
Comment: Arrrrgggghhhh!

Unread post by Shorty Lickens »

D&D Rules Cyclopedia.

OR..... Rifts Ultimate Edition.
http://incompetech.com/graphpaper/
Create and print dozens of different graph papers.
Captain_Nibbz
Adventurer

Unread post by Captain_Nibbz »

Dang, some thread necromancy here for sure :D

That being said, I absolutely love the Rules Cyclopedia, though I think that Moldvay/Cook make for the better game. More concise and focused. I use that as a base and then steal from Mentzer when I need additional material
A good friend will help you hide a body. A best friend will lend you the P.P.E. you need to resurrect the body as a loyal zombie servant.

"If I kept a list of all time worst Sound Off threads, this would be way up there." - Mack

Return to “G.M.s Forum”