Giant insects and other animals

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

RainbowDevil
Explorer

Giant insects and other animals

Unread post by RainbowDevil »

Does anyone know where I can find the stats for giant insects to use in After the Bomb? I know there are stats in the main rulebook and the supplements, but I don't feel the stats from the original sourcebooks are comparable to second edition and the stats in second edition are incredibly vague. What I'm after are insects that can be ridden, primarily, or used as beasts of burden, so things like Speed, PS, and other combat abilities are important. I thought Palladium Animals and Monsters may have had some good stats for giant beetles and similar things, but no such luck.

Regards,
RD
Prysus
Champion

Re: Giant insects and other animals

Unread post by Prysus »

Greetings and Salutations. There's the Rock Buzzer in Baalgor Wastelands (PF Book 9) that's a house fly amd beetle mix used as a small flying mounts (with a few different colors for different stats).

There's also some fan made AtB insects that can be found on these forums: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=70707&start=100

I saw Social Insects (Ants) on page 2 of 3 and then some other insects (such as Beetles and Praying Mantis) on page 3 of 3. I only did a quick skim of the pages though, so there might be more that I missed.

Anyways, hope that helps. Farewell and safe journeys.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Unread post by Warshield73 »

Mutants in Orbit has several different insects but they are more monsters then beasts of burden or riding animals.
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
RainbowDevil
Explorer

Unread post by RainbowDevil »

Thanks for that, folks. I'm really after "monster" stats though (ie what their attributes are, combat abilities, etc), not character creation/BIO-E tables.
tobefrnk
Adventurer

Unread post by tobefrnk »

Robotech: The Genesis Source Book has the type of stats you’re looking for rideable sized insects. Granted they were not intended to ride originally, and they’re MDC, but you could easily adapt. The listings include attributes and such.

Robotech: Return of the Nasters has a giant ant. Not as detailed as the insects in the Genesis Pit book though.

Hope this helps.
acreRake
Hero
Comment: Greatest Rune Gardenweasel

Unread post by acreRake »

What about the "Create Giant Insect" stats in the "Control Insects & Arachnids" from Villains Unlimited and HU2?
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

acreRake wrote:What about the "Create Giant Insect" stats in the "Control Insects & Arachnids" from Villains Unlimited and HU2?

This is a good place to look for what you're asking. I think the magic spell Monster Insect also has a very generic but usable stat block as well.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

pinknemo13 wrote:What I'm after are insects that can be ridden, primarily, or used as beasts of burden, so things like Speed, PS, and other combat abilities are important. I thought Palladium Animals and Monsters may have had some good stats for giant beetles and similar things, but no such luck.

https://palladium-store.com/1001/produc ... Under.html
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
slade the sniper
Hero

Unread post by slade the sniper »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
pinknemo13 wrote:What I'm after are insects that can be ridden, primarily, or used as beasts of burden, so things like Speed, PS, and other combat abilities are important. I thought Palladium Animals and Monsters may have had some good stats for giant beetles and similar things, but no such luck.

Seconded. The ATB books are much, much better than you would expect.

-STS
My skin is not a sin - Carlos Wallace
A man's rights rest in three boxes. The ballot box, jury box and the cartridge box - Frederick Douglass
I am a firm believer that men with guns can solve any problem - Inscriptus
Any system in which the most populated areas have the most political power, creates an incentive for areas that want power to increase their population - Killer Cyborg
Jockitch74
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Jockitch74 »

Heroes Unlimited, Insect Control has stats as well
"Knowledge is the key to the universe"
ITWastrel
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by ITWastrel »

slade the sniper wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:

Seconded. The ATB books are much, much better than you would expect.

-STS

I've never run an ATB game, but I have used the books in many, many, many games over the decades. They are, hands down, the best pile of resources you can get on mutants and DNA monsters and Mad Scientist Creations, and superhero hamsters.*

Just go buy the books. Trust us.
After the Bomb - Palladium Books Store

*9' tall and superhumanly strong. His name, Detective Cheeks, Metahumans Division, LAPD HU-Earth

Return to “G.M.s Forum”