Altess tech question...

Dimension Books & nothing but..

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Pox
Dungeon Crawler

Altess tech question...

Unread post by Pox »

I'm toying with the idea of putting together a two-person Robot Vehicle for a couple of Altess characters I wrote up but am interested in getting thoughts on if I am going about doing it correctly.

I thought that the best way to do it was to take Sourcebook 1: UE and the robot creation rules there and combine it with the Galactic Tracer's personal space-ship rules from Rifter #34 with a few dashes of stuff from the Dimension books for some interior tech.

Now these characters will be placed on Rifts Earth, so I was going to go crazy and give 5d6x10 or other dumbness to them...one weapon at 3d6x10...if that.

Should I go about this another way or is this good?
we forgive you pox - Lord Cherico
You mah main Damie, Pox - el magico -- darklorddc
KLM
Knight

Re: Altess tech question...

Unread post by KLM »

Hi there!

Also, consider this:
While Altess stuff - as a rule of thumb - tends to be more advanced and sophisticated than
the stuff aviable on RIFTS Earth, their combat usefullness highly depends on the purpose
of the vehicle.

A WWI tank is a rough century behind a modern high-security limo, yet capable of magnitudes
more destruction.

So, if it is an Altess combat robot vehicle, it is probably can mop the floor with any Rifts Earth
vehicle, up to like 3 to 10 times its own weight (ie. a 10 ton robot is probably more than a match
to a Dragonwing, and clearly superior to a Titan Scout).

If it is "just" a high-sec leisure vehicle, it can have a staggering amount of MDC, including a
force field of hundreds of MDC, yet it lacks heavy firepower, limiting it to like an onboard version
of a naruni shoulder canon, a pulse laser, comparable to 3G rifles and maybe a micro-missile launcher.

While this is still a respectable whopping, as you can see, it can run out of ammo rather quickly.

Just my two cents.

Adios
KLM
But still, one of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather - This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.
- Terry Prachett

Small font: use ctrl+c and copy it, so you can read. But since it is in small fonts, it is not important. I am not a NE salesperson.
Pox
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Pox »

Thanks for the input thus far guys.

What I was leaning towards was putting together the robot (which I would not duplicate for other characters...it's for the Altess only and not going to be my go-to RV for a merc group or the sort) with the SB1 guide and pimp it out with ammenities given the Altess' budget, but use the Rifter article and Dimension books when it came to shields, sensor suites, and the such.

For weapons, I was thinking of placing light starfighter size/point-defense weapons such as the ones listed in Phase world and Three Galaxies. I don't think that the Altess in general would want their super-tech on Rifts-Earth given the backwater nature (comparatively) of the planet. I am definately leaning towards energy weapons given ammo concerns, and I am personally not a fan of Naruni weapons which sucks since the Altess have a serious thing for them.

Background on the characters, one is a R:UE Robot Vehicle pilot and the co-pilot is an Operator. So the fixing stuff isn't a problem.
Aramanthus
Monk

Unread post by Aramanthus »

Heck, couldn't a Repobot just jack in too control it? I mean that makes a lot more sense than having to use their legs and arms for controling the movement and fire power of the over all vehicle.
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

"As you will it, your Grace."

HH....FIE
Aramanthus
Monk

Very nice weapon Gadrin. I like the ability to change the weapons primary ammo quickly.
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

HH....FIE
Aramanthus
Monk

Nice looking rifle! Thank you for sharing the links!

HH....FIE
Aramanthus
Monk

Interesting ideas Gadrin. Can we get any more info on this little group? I'd be interested in hearing it.

HH....FIE
Pox
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Pox »

Holy hell...one from the vaults :shock:

What my intention with these two was one of the pilot being from a noble family who's father is allowing his daughter to slum it (as shown some do in pg. 65) and sow some oats before having to succumb to her status in Altess society. The operator is her best friend and is the daughter of one of the pilot's family's (gawd that sentenct looks odd to me) lesser families (originally was going to be an employee but I read deeper and saw that doesn't happen) and she is assigned to watch over her and keep her safe.

Now as far as the bot...I get that the Altess have a love for Naruni but I first, am not going to send them anywhere with something off-the rack (tacky) and would have something custom designed by Naruni (which is possible if Galactic Tracers can do it...why not a stock holder?) Also, I thought about putting a back-up AI that neither the pilot or the operator know about that would activate when they were in danger. Now before you say it...I would write up some psionic-dampners to shield it's presense from the operator's psionics. I have something else in mind as a last ditch, but I'll have to read up on that.

Though the Armoria is mainly Naruni ...it does say have some loop-hole terms in the Military section for wiggle-room. Such as the line about third-party vendors for secondhand and knock-offs and then "Considering that nearly all..."

I do have some designs in mind for what I would like to use but one that I'm favoring is weighted at 95 tons but I want to keep the bot at least under 30 feet...don't know how I'll pull that off. :D

Now if any of the above sounds odd...it is because I did not believe that this thread would ever be resurrected. :)
Aramanthus
Monk

Sounds like an interesting group. I've done the secret backup computer on a ship before. It's always fun to hide something like that on the PCs. And I've used psionic dampners to stop Operators telemechanics before too.

HH....FIE
Aramanthus
Monk

Sounds like an awesome new robot. You should actually stat it out. I'm sure the others would like to see it too.

HH....FIE
Pox
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Pox »

Here are some of the contenders for what I will use for bot design:

(now this will be for my personal use just so no one comes and calls me a thief)

You can see them at my favorites at: http://sarlacc-food.deviantart.com/

Or go to the individual pictures below for easier full view. Now I don't know how to crop addresses to save space so some of these might be kinda long...if any mod wants to fix this for me...that would be awesome.

http://eriance.deviantart.com/art/Battl ... -102762876

http://eriance.deviantart.com/art/Battl ... -104027128 (this is the heavy sucker)

http://blackswordsman28.deviantart.com/ ... s-25347395

http://eriance.deviantart.com/art/Mecha ... l-17202064

http://eriance.deviantart.com/art/Mecha ... I-18974006

http://eriance.deviantart.com/art/Mecha ... I-18974172

http://eriance.deviantart.com/art/Commi ... r-21589598

http://eriance.deviantart.com/art/Mecha ... r-33381963

http://eriance.deviantart.com/art/Mecha ... s-33438451
Aramanthus
Monk

A couple of nice pics. Not crazy about Battletech stuff. And some of those links are blocked. And I'm registered there too.

HH....FIE
Pox
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Pox »

That's weird about them being blocked.

Oh well...they are viewable in my favorites and linkable to the original artist through there.
Aramanthus
Monk

no problem. someday I'm sure I'll get to see them or something closely related.

HH....FIE
KLM
Knight

Unread post by KLM »

Kaltes wrote:A good way to shorten a bot is to do away with legs and put that baby on some treads like the Russian borgs.

It is not a very elegant solution for an Altess, in the 3 Galaxies, which is reeking of CG tech.

A treaded vehicle maybe fits the Central Alliance.

Adios
KLM
But still, one of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather - This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.
- Terry Prachett

Small font: use ctrl+c and copy it, so you can read. But since it is in small fonts, it is not important. I am not a NE salesperson.
Aramanthus
Monk

I have to agree with KLM on this. The Altess and especially they would have the highest possible tech level available to them. A vehicle with treads is not the paramount tech. Now a sleek CG vehicles makes a lot more sense.

HH....FIE
KLM
Knight

Unread post by KLM »

Aramanthus wrote:I have to agree with KLM on this. The Altess and especially they would have the highest possible tech level available to them. A vehicle with treads is not the paramount tech. Now a sleek CG vehicles makes a lot more sense.

Not that the Altss aren't techophiles - because generally they are - but more like they are also
act like Ubermensch (but they have a reason for it) and eager to prove it in every second.

Be it gestures, clothing or personal vehicle.

Adios
KLM
- Terry Prachett

Aramanthus
Monk

I agree with your observation KLM! That is the way I run them. Although I don't have many Altess NPCs running around in my game.

HH....FIE
Caballis134269
Newb

Unread post by Caballis134269 »

While it is common knowledge that the Altess use NE tech the do create some of their own tech. That tech however sees the light of day so very infrequently that they are assumed to not manufacture their own tech. The two spacecraft in Fleets of the Galaxy are proof of that. It is also noted that most of their tech is created and stored on a planet that is getting ready to go bye bye, if it hasn't already. Beyond the few and I mean very few tidbits of information that is known about the Altess tech, it is a very safe bet to simply outfit them with the best NE tech on the market and possibly some that is on the market.

Return to “Rifts®: Dimension Books”