Wormwood questions.

Dimension Books & nothing but..

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

dargo83
Dungeon Crawler

Re: Wormwood questions.

Unread post by dargo83 »

does any one have the netbook that Steve Conan Trustrum put out it would be apreciated
Steve Conan Trustrum
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Steve Conan Trustrum »

Duck-Foot: I've provided stats and my own version of her background in the Wormwood netbook, which leads to ...

Dargo83: I've just made said netbook available from my website @ trustrum.com
Steven "Conan" Trustrum

Trustrum.com | Misfits In Action Web Comic
Steve Conan Trustrum
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Steve Conan Trustrum »

Nope, it's real. The FAQ was also discussed with Kevin when it was intended to become an official book so, except for anything he's come out and contradicted since, one can consider the answers therein to be somewhat official.
Steven "Conan" Trustrum

Trustrum.com | Misfits In Action Web Comic
Mercdog
Hero

Unread post by Mercdog »

Braden Campbell wrote:1. As a result, certain game mechanics are either incomplete, missing, or broken entirely (ex. everyone on Wormwood is MDC, but almost no one has supernatural strength).

I've always looked at it from the standpoint of the Wormwood natives being infused with magical energies from the living planet, so their normal attacks can harm MDC targets. Sort of like how vampires are invulnerable to most things, but can still be harmed by magical creatures, but from a bit of a different perspective.
Blade with whom I have lived.
Blade with whom I now die.
Serve right and justice one last time.
Seek one last heart of evil.
Still one last life of pain.
Cut well old friend...
and then farewell.
-Sir Orin Neville Smyth, Flight of Dragons
Braer
D-Bee

Unread post by Braer »

While on the subject of Wormwood questions, I was wondering: who becomes Priests of Light in Wormwood? Is it only nobility? Anyone with aptitude and training?

Could people from other worlds choose to train as a priest on Wormwood?
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Unread post by Tinker Dragoon »

I always imagined that, like many people living in treeless regions on earth, they burn dung. :bandit:
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning
Braer
D-Bee

Unread post by Braer »

[Campfires] I have thought about this myself, but I thought of it in terms of lighting.

They could have candles. They wouldn't be wax since there are no bees, but they could have tallow candles. Basically, you would get some worm and/or grubs, rend the fat, use wicks made of angel hair, and have the candles contained in resin holders. Votives and tea lights are easy to imagine. Regular candles as well, though I would think that would be highly dependent on the consistency of the tallow.

By extension, you could have lanterns and oil lamps, which could work even better. I always pictured resin to be relatively fire prof and opaque -- kind of like a slightly darker and completely opaque amber -- so if without a thicker the tallow is too thin at 80 degrees, this would be a way to go.

Similarly, torches could be made of a resin stick, and wrapping of angel hair, and the rendered fuel.

The problem, of course, is cooking. Priests can make a hot spot that is one foot in diameter that will heat things, cook things, and light them on fire. The only problem is that it only lasts one (1) minute per level, so unless you have some secret near-instant technique for cooking and rendering, it is impractical. You could build an oven of resin to retain the heat for a time, but that's still awkward. The best I can come up with is to cook in a resin brazier over a fire that is rendered fat and maybe angel hair (ie. having a mini torch inside). Cooking would be over an open flame on skewers or over some kind of grate. Again, you could build a small oven to trap heat, and that might be the sort of thing you render your fat in, hopefully getting more than you use in fuel.
Braden Campbell
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Unread post by Braden Campbell »

Create Wood.

It's a third-level incantation, so many wizards would know it. It could be made in batches and sold/traded for in marketplaces across the planet.
Braden, GMPhD

If that doesn't prompt you to buy it, I don't know what else I can say.
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

Braden Campbell wrote:Create Wood.

It's a third-level incantation, so many wizards would know it. It could be made in batches and sold/traded for in marketplaces across the planet.

This.

Except Create Wood didn't exist when Wormwood was published. It does solve the problem nicely, though.

--flatline
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

I think the Knights of the Hospital should all get Life Fuel since it's basically the only healing skill in Wormwood =/ Then they'd have something to do with that PPE.

Braden Campbell wrote:I would say that as the Apok has been transformed into an supernatural instrument of Wormwood's holy wrath that he cannot, in fact, become a Juicer.

Was about to counter this with 'if they're so supernatural then why don't they have supernatural PS?' but then I took a closer look at Power Number 8 and realized they did.

It does beg the question why they'd only be doing 1d4 damage with a dagger though. Even the weakest Apok (supernatural PS of 5) would do 1d6/4d6 with a restrained/normal punch.

I thought I remembered something about the damage of weapons being added to punch damage for supernatural PS guys but I can't find it in the Rifts Conversion Book at the moment. Anyone remember?

This also begs the question, with the way the SDC>MDC works with Apoks (and Sea Inquisitors), this makes the full strength punch of those with a PS under 15 do as much damage as a power punch of someone with a PS 21-25, or a full strength punch of someone with PS 31-35.

Similarly, the SDC supernatural guys do on restrained punches is always more dice than they will do on a full strength punch, so I'm wondering if GMs ever experience problems with these character classes always doing 'restrained' hits to hurt more? This only seems to correct itself past PS 51 where restrained hits begin to inflict MD.

That's not even taking into consideration that SDC attacks get PS damage bonuses and MD ones don't, lol.

One solution I can see for it is perhaps to use the supernatural PS table in Heroes Unlimited since it's all SDC when these OCCs have such strength. This does end up leading to damage for full strength and power punches (41-50 in HU has the same dice as 51-60 in CB1, and 51-70 is higher) but it gives lower dice for restrained punches so that they can't be abused to skip up to large dice amounts.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Marcethus wrote:NO!!!! Wormwood does not contain the old ones nor does it have anything to do with them.
That's what Thoth wants us to think.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
SolCannibal
Champion

Unread post by SolCannibal »

Question - would it hurt or alter the setting much to simply treat it as a high PPE but still SDC world like Palladium instead of an MDC world?

Main difference i can see is in lessening somewhat the influence of the living world in all beings inhabiting it and consequently the
fluff problems with porting them over to Rifts Earth as their MDC would be a collateral of Rifts Earth awfully high PPE, like with most
creatures of magic/supernatural beings instead of a "gift of Wormwood". That said the symbiotes might still be a problem.

As an aside, has anyone ever compared Wormwood with one of the Demon Planets presented on Dimensional Outbreak?
Could there be a relation/connection between either?

edit: Ooooh, total thread necromancy! Well, it happens, still better than creating a new topic just for those questions with this one around.
flatline
Knight

It does alter the setting, but in a good way.

Wormwood should never have been an MDC setting in the first place.

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
flatline
Knight

varkus wrote:any rule or setting questions are really covered by the golden rule, its your game, if you don't like something just change it. but for a question of my own, in the wormwood book, the opening page about the inspiration behind the book, Kevin says he was wanted to make a game based on some comics, so what I want to know is where can I get my greedy little hands on these comics ? I really want to see what the game was based on, then I might get a deeper understanding of the setting and get some ideas for running a wormwood game. I've always loved wormwood but never had a clear enough view of the setting to run a game

That is an excellent question. Anyone know the name of the source comic?

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

duck-foot wrote:i got a question. is there stats for the Char warrior woman from the comic strip in the book?

Not that I've see. Dorsi Pentecost is in the comic, though it's easy to overlook that since he isn't referred to by name like Confesser/Lazarus/Salome are.

Also worth noting that the stats given for Lazarus are from before the comic takes place, since he calls himself a Freelancer (must've changed his OCC) and has the Mental Blast spell that was later published in FoM. Although I'm not entirely clear on that since his stats do say he took a Control Gem from Salome (which happens in the comic) which gives the impression the stats are post-comic, not pre-comic.

flatline wrote:
varkus wrote:the opening page about the inspiration behind the book, Kevin says he was wanted to make a game based on some comics, so what I want to know is where can I get my greedy little hands on these comics?

Flint Henry or Timothy Truman might be the ones to consult on that.

The comic on page 9 of Wormwood is called "Book 1: Genesis-Omega". Is there anything in the intro to imply that more than this was actually made? Could someone quote something to indicate that? I got the impression that's all they made, and it was designed as an RPG setting more than a comic series. I don't think this is like TMNT or Robotech or Justice Machine where it was based on an earlier work that existed on its own.
Shawn Merrow
Comment: For the glory of Zeon and Zerebus, Sieg Zeon!

2D6 Palladium Forum History Geek Points

Unread post by Shawn Merrow »

flatline wrote:
varkus wrote:any rule or setting questions are really covered by the golden rule, its your game, if you don't like something just change it. but for a question of my own, in the wormwood book, the opening page about the inspiration behind the book, Kevin says he was wanted to make a game based on some comics, so what I want to know is where can I get my greedy little hands on these comics ? I really want to see what the game was based on, then I might get a deeper understanding of the setting and get some ideas for running a wormwood game. I've always loved wormwood but never had a clear enough view of the setting to run a game

--flatline

Could try contacting Timothy Truman, his email is listed on his official website.

Timothy Truman

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection
SolCannibal
Champion

Something i can't remember about the world right now - does Wormwood have seas, oceans or rivers? And ships or boats to navigate them?
flatline
Knight

SolCannibal wrote:Something i can't remember about the world right now - does Wormwood have seas, oceans or rivers? And ships or boats to navigate them?

Nope.

--flatline

SolCannibal
Champion

flatline wrote:
SolCannibal wrote:Something i can't remember about the world right now - does Wormwood have seas, oceans or rivers? And ships or boats to navigate them?

Nope.

--flatline

Shame - pirates and age of sail stuff could make some nice mix in the setting. Need to give the book a good once over one of these days. Get a better image of it in the world-building aspect, check little details like the previous and see what kind of ideas come out.
flatline
Knight

SolCannibal wrote:
flatline wrote:

Nope.

--flatline

Shame - pirates and age of sail stuff could make some nice mix in the setting. Need to give the book a good once over one of these days. Get a better image of it in the world-building aspect, check little details like the previous and see what kind of ideas come out.

It's best to think of Wormwood as a desert without sand.

Could you make the age of sail stuff work if you made then airships or something?

--flatline

SolCannibal
Champion

flatline wrote:
SolCannibal wrote:
flatline wrote:

Nope.

--flatline

Could you make the age of sail stuff work if you made then airships or something?

Yes, it is possible, but that would probably call for magic or some such in the equation, not as all-around available....ah, i'm overthinking it.
Might as well read the book to see what kind of stuff comes up to mind.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

Wormwood needs airships! Why isn't this a thing already!?!?
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
flatline
Knight

Glistam wrote:Wormwood needs airships! Why isn't this a thing already!?!?

Technowizardry is a big part of the Wormwood setting and since TW airships have always been defined in RMB and now RUE, I think one should assume that they're present in wormwood.

--flatline

SolCannibal
Champion

flatline wrote:
Glistam wrote:Wormwood needs airships! Why isn't this a thing already!?!?

Technowizardry is a big part of the Wormwood setting and since TW airships have always been defined in RMB and now RUE, I think one should assume that they're present in wormwood.

And psionics related stuff - would material from the Psyscape book fit fine in Wormwood or be out of place?
Bill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Bill »

I fully endorse the idea of Wormwood TW air-ships...and host air parasites with gas-bags holding aloft malignant crews of raiding demons.
SolCannibal
Champion

Speaking of local powers and stuff, what could there be beside the Host and the Cathedral - any suggestions of forces of light, darkness or pure and simple comodity and oportunism could hide in the world already or shake up things a little in the conflict?

I remember Pantheons of the Megaverse mentioning Tiamat having a presence there and Rifts Africa seems to imply Lalibella in Ethiopia has a permanent or at least regular rift there (incidentally Lalibella also has a portal to the Tree of Dakness in the NGR's border, if memory tricks me not).
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

flatline wrote:
SolCannibal wrote:
flatline wrote:

Nope.

--flatline

--flatline

wind powered landships. like age of sail vessels, but with wheels.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land_sailing

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wind-powered_vehicle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97fjOmGg2jc
Last edited by glitterboy2098 on Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Bill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Bill »

SolCannibal wrote:Speaking of local powers and stuff, what could there be beside the Host and the Cathedral - any suggestions of forces of light, darkness or pure and simple comodity and oportunism could hide in the world already or shake up things a little in the conflict?

Local feudal lords, barbarian/possibly demonic warlords, weird aliens, self-willed symbiots or parasites, war profiteers, etc. Pretty much anything you like could be added, but should it be? The setting as it's written is a nicely defined war that can be used as a backdrop for any kind of story you want to tell. I think piling on more stuff would undermine that. And particularly in the greater context of Rifts, you can just as easily put those elements in another dimension.
SolCannibal
Champion

Bill wrote:
SolCannibal wrote:Speaking of local powers and stuff, what could there be beside the Host and the Cathedral - any suggestions of forces of light, darkness or pure and simple comodity and oportunism could hide in the world already or shake up things a little in the conflict?

Local feudal lords, barbarian/possibly demonic warlords, weird aliens, self-willed symbiots or parasites, war profiteers, etc. Pretty much anything you like could be added, but should it be? The setting as it's written is a nicely defined war that can be used as a backdrop for any kind of story you want to tell. I think piling on more stuff would undermine that. And particularly in the greater context of Rifts, you can just as easily put those elements in another dimension.

Cold War wasn't just USA vs URSS, WWII wasn't just Germany & Italy against France, England and later URSS and USA (not to mention Japan's campaign in the Pacific, that can easily be treated as a parallel but quite separate conflict). Even the forces of Sauron in the War of the Ring are not homogenous and it's even more true of the forces united against it.

Local groups and powers don't have to undermine anything and can actually add color and twists while sticking to canon well-defined war backdrop. And yes, powers from outside Wormwood can be used for that too, in relation to both sides - but then many of the beings in both sides are not exactly native either. :wink:

A planet can be pretty big, specially a weird living planet with no apparent seas in its surface - not to mention a sun and two moons that might or not be living themselves. There's a lot of room to set up kingdoms, republic and such if one is in the mood to.

Oh, post 666 - nice. :twisted:
Bill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Bill »

I'm not saying that it wouldn't be realistic to add more powers to the mix. I just don't think it needs to be done. Wormwood is a done deal. I say we leave it tidy and move on to a purpose-built dimensional setting that explores complex political influences and the challenges that can emerge from lots of power-players being vested in the outcome of a the situation. Doing so would save us a ton of retconning how and why the primary factions deal with the new ones.
SolCannibal
Champion

Bill wrote:I'm not saying that it wouldn't be realistic to add more powers to the mix. I just don't think it needs to be done. Wormwood is a done deal. I say we leave it tidy and move on to a purpose-built dimensional setting that explores complex political influences and the challenges that can emerge from lots of power-players being vested in the outcome of a the situation. Doing so would save us a ton of retconning how and why the primary factions deal with the new ones.

I can see your point but wouldn't say i whole heartedly agree - were Wormwood indeed "a done deal" i don't think we would be in the 3rd page and going, nor there to be another four Wormwood-related topics in the first page of the Dimension Books sub-forum. It still evokes curiosity and interest beside being a closed subject for decades it seems.

Addition of detail doesn't have to mean retcon. Going back to the Middle-Earth example, Sauron had Orcs, but also Haradrim, Easterlings and "black numenoreans" serving in his hordes, with Nazguls, human kings corrupted by his rings as lieutenants. Saruman, Sauron's last moment ally (and potential rival) sprung up as a betrayer come from the highest level of the forces that opposed the dark lord. And yet in strange borderlands and little visited places, powerful, terrible and mysterious beings like Dragons, Balrogs and the spawn of Shelob, that remembered Sauron as little more than a lieutenant playing with the ill-fitting cloth of a older and much greater evil, persisted in their fell palaces, citadels, mountains and other places...

Say, with about 17 OCCs and RCCs making just one major leader, hero or villain for each (or another, for those that already have some of these) should add some nice fodder for games as those movers-and-shakers butt heads over different priorities, agendas or trying to make ends meet over strategy and style preference. And that not even counting NPC-only monster races, that might have leaders, champions and renegades of their own under the morass that are the forces of darkness. Also, who brought the Unholy into Worwood? Even without knowing the price and all the sundry details, a person being willing to turn oneself into the host of an unknown supernatural force call for a certain degree of desperation and maybe major enemies, i guess. Just some quick examples.

All of that said, one can add some factions or conflict without rewriting Wormwood into the lands of Westeros. It's a whole planet, you can have some local groups the size of the CS, NGR, Warlords of Russia (or the 3 of them put together) around, and still have the Host & the Catedral being much, much bigger and mostly focused upon each other as usual, preserving its essential character. Distances, not having everybody under the same roof or constantly plotting (sometimes licking the wounds from the fallout of a failed plot), among ther things, are good for that.

Think of all the cinematic variety one can find in WWII movies, or even better, James Bond movies, when it comes to agendas and villains, while still set under the backdrop of a worldwide conflict, sometimes open, sometimes veiled, between two clearly defined superpowers. 007 movies are particularly egrerious in globe-trotting over-the-top craziness dancing around a Cold War backdrop and perspective - even in films decades after it ended. :lol:

Use it, without abusing it, because we know who the actual mainstream are supposed to be, are my thoughts overall.

PS: Also in the "not constantly plotting" thing... not every major antagonist needs to have a master plan or to secretly (or not so secretly) desire to rule it all. Some bad guys might think their little enclave is work enough, others just want to smack up some crap and leave the boring and complicated planning & ruling to their bosses, some may see being loafers, lovers, viziers or pet specialists as good enough and a few may have quite weird interests that take precedence over power (if not the only reason a character even cares to possess a measure of power and influence). Some of these might support a major power or strike first at some chronic backstabber just to avoid the hassle and stay in the gravvy train. That goes for any setting or game in general.
Last edited by SolCannibal on Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Bill »

While this thread is three pages; it's almost nine years old and has been ressurected more than thrice. Regardless, if it's something you want badly enough, I suggest you quit lazing about on the forum and start writing. ;)
flatline
Knight

Bill wrote:While this thread is three pages; it's almost nine years old and has been ressurected more than thrice. Regardless, if it's something you want badly enough, I suggest you quit lazing about on the forum and start writing. ;)

If you want some inspiration, get Splicers. Combining living technology with the living planet promises a very interesting reboot of the Wormwood setting. I've been playing with the idea ever since I got Splicers, but since I don't currently have a group, it's been impossible to get motivated actually figure out how to make it work.

--flatline

SolCannibal
Champion

Bill wrote:While this thread is three pages; it's almost nine years old and has been ressurected more than thrice. Regardless, if it's something you want badly enough, I suggest you quit lazing about on the forum and start writing. ;)

Well, i wasn't even thinking as far as doing a serious write up of stuff, but thanks a bunch for the thumbs up. Will give a good push when i'm back home after New Year.

Also, thanks for the Splicers suggestion Flatline, i will give it a look for reference if i can, though i admit what use i'll make or not of it depends will depend on how it fits or not with Wormwood's original presentation in the Dimension Book.
Last edited by SolCannibal on Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flatline
Knight

SolCannibal wrote:Also, thanks for the Splicers suggestion Flatline, i will give it a lookfor reference if i can, though i admit what use i'll make or not of it depends will depend on how it fits or not with Wormwood's original presentation in the Dimension Book.

If you use splicer tech to make "symbiotes" instead of armor (similar to the biotic OCC, but toned down to achieve whatever power balance you want), it doesn't change the "feel" of the setting at all, but it can correct some of the glaring mechanical issues with the system (according to the mechanics provided, the humans are so outclassed both in power and numbers that the setting doesn't make any sense at all).

Ignore more of the ranged weapons (or make short range versions of them) and you'll do fine to keep in the spirit of the comic.

--flatline

Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Wormwood buildings with soil dumped on roofs or balconies to plant Gardener defenses in would be great.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

glitterboy2098 wrote:
flatline wrote:
SolCannibal wrote:
flatline wrote:

Nope.

--flatline

--flatline

wind powered landships. like age of sail vessels, but with wheels.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land_sailing

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wind-powered_vehicle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97fjOmGg2jc

some more pics of this idea:
http://www.windwagonproject.se/wp-conte ... 2/06/1.jpg
http://i.ytimg.com/vi/97fjOmGg2jc/maxresdefault.jpg
http://i.ytimg.com/vi/JJHxNxtYYkE/maxresdefault.jpg

in wormwood you could have even larger ones made from a mix of carved resin and other wormwood-created products, since the materials are evidently much stronger than wood and rope.

it could also be applied to smaller uses as well..
http://media01.bigblackbag.net/19155/po ... b_4250.jpg
(a modern depiction of a real world experiment done during the 1800's)
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Would the Xiticix be able to build hives in Wormwood? Wondering if Queen's psionics might work. What about Star Hives Queens who are alien intelligences?
flatline
Knight

Tor wrote:Would the Xiticix be able to build hives in Wormwood? Wondering if Queen's psionics might work. What about Star Hives Queens who are alien intelligences?

Are you wondering if after generations of breeding on Wormwood if psionic ability would disappear from the Xiticix similar to what happened to the Wormwood humans?

--flatline

SolCannibal
Champion

flatline wrote:
Tor wrote:Would the Xiticix be able to build hives in Wormwood? Wondering if Queen's psionics might work. What about Star Hives Queens who are alien intelligences?

Are you wondering if after generations of breeding on Wormwood if psionic ability would disappear from the Xiticix similar to what happened to the Wormwood humans?

--flatline

Well, psionics being "bred out" of Wormwood humans might relate to a number of things completely unrelated to the envoriment per se (unless otherwise stated in the book) and have no effect on the Xitcix.

Question - are any "regular" passages between Rifts Earth & Worwood mentioned in the books? I know there's one in Lalibela (Ethiopia) is mentioned in Rifts Africa and Sourcebook 3 mentions another one in the evil millenium tree that, connects to either Lalibela, Wormwood or both depending on how one interprets the text, but can't remember any others right now.
Last edited by SolCannibal on Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Bill »

SolCannibal wrote:Question - are any "regular" passages between Rifts Earth & Worwood mentioned in the books? I know there's one in Lalibela (Ethiopia) is mentioned in Rifts Africa and Sourcebook 3 mentions another one in the evil millenium tree that, connects to wither Lalibela, Wormwood or both depending on how one interprets the text, but can't remember any others right now.

Permanent rifts? I think there's a couple. However, there is a Wormwood city that was uprooted and transported to South America (see SA2) during the cataclysm. It's part of the Southern Federation. Wormwood humans are described as experienced dimensional raiders with Shifter and Temporal classes among their common adventurer classes, so I'm inclined to think that the residents of the unnamed city (I call it Chastity) do a steady trade with their homeworld even without access to a permanent rift.
SolCannibal
Champion

Bill wrote:
SolCannibal wrote:Question - are any "regular" passages between Rifts Earth & Worwood mentioned in the books? I know there's one in Lalibela (Ethiopia) is mentioned in Rifts Africa and Sourcebook 3 mentions another one in the evil millenium tree that, connects to wither Lalibela, Wormwood or both depending on how one interprets the text, but can't remember any others right now.

Permanent rifts? I think there's a couple. However, there is a Wormwood city that was uprooted and transported to South America (see SA2) during the cataclysm. It's part of the Southern Federation. Wormwood humans are described as experienced dimensional raiders with Shifter and Temporal classes among their common adventurer classes, so I'm inclined to think that the residents of the unnamed city (I call it Chastity) do a steady trade with their homeworld even without access to a permanent rift.

Oh, i had forgotten about that city phased into South America - but yeah, i meant rifts mentioned in the books as connecting regularly with the living planet.
Braden Campbell

Worldgate features one on the four permanent portals to Earth - it links Aeon Keep to the ruin of Brasov, in central Romania.

(Note that this isn't 100% official, but comes from the Wormwood Addenda.)
Braden, GMPhD

SolCannibal
Champion

Braden Campbell wrote:Worldgate features one on the four permanent portals to Earth - it links Aeon Keep to the ruin of Brasov, in central Romania.

(Note that this isn't 100% official, but comes from the Wormwood Addenda.)

Oh, interesting, specially because it would also be the first straight bit of info on Romania in Rifts Earth - the most i can remember from the books are some random D-bees from Mindwerks, Woden the Hangman's community in Pantheons of the Megaverse or the rumors, in the werewolf section of the old Conversion Book, of a massive pack that established their own kingdom where they are worshipped as gods in the mountains of Romania. Never confirmed or denied, should be said.
Nox Equites
Explorer

Unread post by Nox Equites »

There is a newer rift in Detroit, as in recently developed or was found recently, and Worldgate connects to Calgary Super nexus.
Braden Campbell

Nox Equites wrote:... Worldgate connects to Calgary Super nexus.

Citation please?
Braden, GMPhD

Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Page 46 does mention there is a Rift in Calgary connecting to Wormwood. Does not specify the Super-Nexus though that seems a good a place as any. Does not mention where in Wormwood this Rift is though, so I don't know if it's in Worldgate or somewhere else. It might be mentioned elsewhere, like how the Lalibela rift introduced in 46 is elaborated on in page 156 where a Wormwood city is named after the place on Earth it connects to. Could even be in a later book.

SoT7: Aftermath page 70 has a section on the Calgary Highlanders and the city itself. The Calgary Rift is linked to at least 6 "hellish worlds", so Wormwood would fit the bill, although Worldgate seems one of the least hellish parts of it.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

perhaps it links to a spot controlled by the Unholy? an area fully under the Unholy's control would probably qualify as 'hellish'.. plus it would give some interesting options for the Calgary monster kingdom.. allow GM's to throw minions of the unholy at players in rifts, and demons andthe like against those in wormwood..

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
SolCannibal
Champion

As an aside, while re-reading the book, it caught my attention the fact that Lalibela is the 4th largest demon-city - only behind Charun, Demroggan & Atala (the last one being a close call) in population and 4 times the size of the free city of Worldgate in that aspect. Not bad for a place built just to exploit a dimensional doorway and no major NPCs.
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

...so far

A "Rifts Lalibela" building both the location on Rifts Earth and on Wormwood might be pretty cool :)

The size isn't surprising, I'd think any dimensional nexus oughta be big.

Return to “Rifts®: Dimension Books”