Altess Armoria

Dimension Books & nothing but..

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Bladedancer13
D-Bee

Altess Armoria

Unread post by Bladedancer13 »

Ok so it is very clear that the Altess' military is called the Armoria and yet doesn't give any information about it anywhere that I can find. If it does exist can someone please direct me to that information?

If it doesn't exist what do use for a template/OCC/Power Category whatever for the Armoria? Should we just adopt something else and play with the equipment or what?
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Re: Altess Armoria

Unread post by Warshield73 »

DB 13: Fleets of the Three Galaxies, Pg. 30-36. There is a brief description of the military and a pair of ship classes. There is also a robot in the back that they use as a frontline soldier.

As for how I use them, I don't. To me these are the classic overpowered super humans and I don't bother to include them in my game. A player asking for one of these is basically asking for a demi-god. As for NPCs, if you use them in your game the Military would definitely be the equivalent to CAF fleet officers and it describes them as having the best gear the Naruni produce.

Hope this helps.
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

The Armoria are best played as the sort of Uber-rich/resourced super-cops/Blackwell paramilitary security corps who show up only when Altess interests are at stake or an Altess citizen is in over their heads.
They're really the weapon of last resort, the preferred method being to throw money at a problem to make it go away, or hire mercenaries to make it go away.
I'd use them sparingly....typically, if an Armoria unit is engaging in combat for more than a brief, spectacular show of force, it means something has gone terribly wrong(for the Altess).
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

The Altess in general are... problematic.
Both in narrative AND game mechanics. -sigh-
They are there as a 'nyah nyah' to other players and for the GM to self-concuss when a potential new player wants to munchkin out.

Seriously the best way too deal with them is as annoying and rage inducing NPC's and then ignore their existence... since the original author created these gold-plated mooks as completely unplayable by mere mortals.

That being said I've found a way to bring them into the meta plot of my campaign as USEFUL characters; but I've had to mangle the book-canon to do it.
Bind the body to the opened mind
Bind the body to the opened mind

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise

~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Warshield73 wrote:DB 13: Fleets of the Three Galaxies, Pg. 30-36. There is a brief description of the military and a pair of ship classes. There is also a robot in the back that they use as a frontline soldier..

Also a spacesuit for them, though it's not as sophisticated and glitzy as I'd like for them(being the Uber-wealthy able to afford cutting edge).
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

The Altess buy lots of naruni stuff, it wouldn't be hard for them to customize one of those suits with all the bells and whistles.

edit: or just use the naruni armors. my Altess bounty hunter used NE-BA-26 Themo-kinetic EBA fitted with built in forcefield, enhanced optics, advanced comms, and other computer upgrades. since i still had a ton of starter funds left i could probably go full mandalorian with it should i ever dust the character off again.. built in weapons, flight pack, etc.
Last edited by glitterboy2098 on Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Fenris2020
Adventurer
Comment: Go woke, go broke.

Unread post by Fenris2020 »

I just use the CCW classes for them, with Naruni weapons and armour.
However, I also rule that they have a version of the TGE Security Agent, which handles espionage an law enforcement
You are a truly worthy foe! I shall howl a dirge in your honour and eat your heart with pride!
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Fenris2020 wrote:I just use the CCW classes for them, with Naruni weapons and armour.
However, I also rule that they have a version of the TGE Security Agent, which handles espionage an law enforcement

I would have thought something along the line of super spy but the TGE Security Agent probably works better.
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Fenris2020
Adventurer

Warshield73 wrote:
Fenris2020 wrote:I just use the CCW classes for them, with Naruni weapons and armour.

I would have thought something along the line of super spy but the TGE Security Agent probably works better.

It makes a lot more sense than Super-Spy, with maybe the exception of the psychic version.
You are a truly worthy foe! I shall howl a dirge in your honour and eat your heart with pride!
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador

Fenris2020 wrote:
Warshield73 wrote:

It makes a lot more sense than Super-Spy, with maybe the exception of the psychic version.

The psychic version was what I had them as.
Braden Campbell
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Unread post by Braden Campbell »

You could just neuter them by having Novus 9 vanish... as is hinted at in the text, if I recall.
Braden, GMPhD

If that doesn't prompt you to buy it, I don't know what else I can say.
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador

My biggest objection to the Altess is not the power the government has, although I find there ships to be ridiculously over powered, my problems are with them as PC's. The completely human superman who can do anything a regular human can but better. I mean Xodians and K!ozn serve a similar function but they aren't PCs.

I should have been clear I don't allow them as PCs, therefore I don't worry about there OCCs, but I do use them as NPCs.
Braden Campbell wrote:You could just neuter them by having Novus 9 vanish... as is hinted at in the text, if I recall.

When I was running PW at a regular campaign I had intended to have Novus disappear at the height of the Minion War just to cripple them.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Braden Campbell wrote:You could just neuter them by having Novus 9 vanish... as is hinted at in the text, if I recall.

:D :D :D
I Did that in the HU one fo the sector expansion texts I sent in my Galaxy Unlimited article, that was sent in to the rifter about a decade ago. Thou...with the normal not quite saying it outright way PB likes to use when they want to just hint something.
Along with a spherical light speed effect wave that pulls ships out of light speed travel. To make it a adventure pull.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Fenris2020
Adventurer

Warshield73 wrote:My biggest objection to the Altess is not the power the government has, although I find there ships to be ridiculously over powered, my problems are with them as PC's. The completely human superman who can do anything a regular human can but better. I mean Xodians and K!ozn serve a similar function but they aren't PCs.

I should have been clear I don't allow them as PCs, therefore I don't worry about there OCCs, but I do use them as NPCs.

When I was running PW at a regular campaign I had intended to have Novus disappear at the height of the Minion War just to cripple them.

They don't bother me.
Then again, had I written the Phase World books, humanity wouldn't be a power; they'd be on the occasional planet, and have about the numbers and influence of the Oni.
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador

Fenris2020 wrote:They don't bother me.

Then again, had I written the Phase World books, humanity wouldn't be a power; they'd be on the occasional planet, and have about the numbers and influence of the Oni.

I like the idea of humans in the CCW being equal partners with the Noro my problem has always been that humans are major parts of the TGE and UWW.

In my game I used the races from the Aliens Unlimited and the alternate TGE population breakdown in DB 3: Phase World SB, pg. 52. This seriously reduces the human population from 20% to 5% and I also introduced some other races to the UWW to reduce the human population there as well. I like humans being a large percentage, I just hate that they are the most populous species.
Fenris2020
Adventurer

Warshield73 wrote:

I like the idea of humans in the CCW being equal partners with the Noro my problem has always been that humans are major parts of the TGE and UWW.

In my game I used the races from the Aliens Unlimited and the alternate TGE population breakdown in DB 3: Phase World SB, pg. 52. This seriously reduces the human population from 20% to 5% and I also introduced some other races to the UWW to reduce the human population there as well. I like humans being a large percentage, I just hate that they are the most populous species.

I don't see why "plain humans" would be that populous either, and similarly use the same population breakdown; the Altess make more sense, in my perspective, having engineered themselves to be actually viable in the Three Galaxies.
But I have similar gripes with various sci-fi settings, like Star Trek.
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador

Fenris2020 wrote:
Warshield73 wrote:

I don't see why "plain humans" would be that populous either, and similarly use the same population breakdown; the Altess make more sense, in my perspective, having engineered themselves to be actually viable in the Three Galaxies.

The simple fact is that all the players of these games are going to be human, as far as we know, so having large numbers of humans helps with immersion. Again I just think they should be smaller and not the most populous race. I would have switched things around and had Noro at around 10% and then went Kreeghor at 8ish% with humans & wolfen tied around 4% with all other races being 3% or less. But, having what is essentially English be one of the trade languages really helps when bringing in characters from other games.

Fenris2020 wrote:But I have similar gripes with various sci-fi settings, like Star Trek.

I give live action IPs a break because you need actors to play these parts, the only ones available are human, and prosthetic makeup cost a lot. I haven't read a lot of books based on either series but the ones I have read always have way more non-human and even non-humanoid characters in them. In one of the series Riker's Chief Medical Officer on the USS Titan is a giant reptile.

Besides Start Trek, and even more so Stargate, the spread of humans around the galaxy is a big part of the series lore and history.
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador

I will say that my preference for a situation like this is more Babylon 5 than Star Trek or Star Wars with Humans being an important part but not dominate.

Return to “Rifts®: Dimension Books”