What Naming Conventions for 3 Galaxies's Powers?

Dimension Books & nothing but..

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

gaby
Knight

What Naming Conventions for 3 Galaxies's Powers?

Unread post by gaby »

What Naming Conventions for 3 Galaxies's Powers you give for each ship class?

Like For Me I go with Altess Armoria,S Yannar-Class Destroyer are names for Precious things and Zhokil-class battlecruiser are Name after Jewels.
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Re: What Naming Conventions for 3 Galaxies's Powers?

Unread post by Warshield73 »

I only came up with a few. To me the largest powers, CCW and TGE, are too large and have way too many of each ship type and class to have true naming conventions. We don't have an official order of battle but they are certain to be in the tens of thousands of ships. Smaller powers like the UWW and Altesse have much smaller numbers and can do true conventions.

For the CCW I had:
Destroyers named for cities - Including wolfen, noro and other peoples
Destroyers named for predatory animals - things like Terror Lizards
Frigates named for war heroes, military and political - so just names
Warshields were weird, wanted them named for weapons originally like lance or mace but I ended up with sort of royal navy names Warspike or Royal Oak, or names like vanguard or sentinel
Carriers named for planets or star systems
Battleships named defensively - Defender, protector, Guardian, etc.

The other thing is that a name can be used more than once in each galaxy and in IDFs but not for the same class.

So the CAF might have 3 ships named Enterprise (Corkscrew, Thundercloud, Anvil) But one would be a Warshield, another would be a Defender Battleship (my own Design) and the last might be a Protector. The human alliance might also have a carrier named Enterprise

The TGE I always gave it a...well a name that sounds like it comes from a warrior race that is in a series with a ship by the above name..but when translated they were the following

Berserkers named for acts of violence crush, destroy, maul
Dreadnoughts were named for dead emperors, important political leaders and invincible guardsmen

This was as far as I ever got.
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2

Return to “Rifts®: Dimension Books”