Solar System development - how would you do it

Dimension Books & nothing but..

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Nuristas
Explorer

Solar System development - how would you do it

Unread post by Nuristas »

Imagine you having a solar system in the Thundercloud Galaxy of which nobody at this point knows the location (that you are aware of).

It contains one jungle type world with a huge bio-diversity but no intelligent life.
It contains several worlds and moons rich in materials and minerals

You have a decent amount of money, let's go with several hundred billions.

How would you develop it?
How would you protect it?
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Re: Solar System development - how would you do it

Unread post by The Beast »

Nuristas wrote:It contains several worlds and moons rich in materials and minerals

Let's go with the easy one first, obviously these celestial objects will be strip mined. I'd also build refining facilities on an as-needed basis.

It contains one jungle type world with a huge bio-diversity but no intelligent life.

This one gets complicated. Right off the bat we have trees, which means wood. So that's going to be some of the resources right there.

And since this planet has life on it, it wouldn't hurt to look into setting up farming areas to help support the colonies that are going to be built in the system.

This planet might also have oil and coal, all depending on how long life has been there. So there'd be parties exploring for those resources.

The bio-diversity would provide scientists with new subjects to study, which can lead to new breakthroughs in medicine, genetics, and other fields. And depending on how unique and/or dangerous some of the life forms are hunting is another source of revenue. You just have to decide if it's going to be the kind of hunting we have now (licenses, seasons, limits on amounts killed, ect) or the kind that was in place back in the wild west days.

I currently see only one problem. We have plenty of money, but you didn't say anything about workers. Once you begin hiring you're not going to be able to keep the system hidden for long. Corporations, pirates, claim jumpers, and the like are going to try to move into the system. I think the best play is to cozy up to some of the larger corporations and work out some deals with one or more of them. Let them deal with those headaches.
Braden Campbell
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Unread post by Braden Campbell »

What's my alignment? ;)
Braden, GMPhD

If that doesn't prompt you to buy it, I don't know what else I can say.
Nuristas
Explorer

Braden Campbell wrote:What's my alignment? ;)

You are aberrant
Nuristas
Explorer

The Beast wrote:
Nuristas wrote:It contains several worlds and moons rich in materials and minerals

Let's go with the easy one first, obviously these celestial objects will be strip mined. I'd also build refining facilities on an as-needed basis.

This one gets complicated. Right off the bat we have trees, which means wood. So that's going to be some of the resources right there.

And since this planet has life on it, it wouldn't hurt to look into setting up farming areas to help support the colonies that are going to be built in the system.

This planet might also have oil and coal, all depending on how long life has been there. So there'd be parties exploring for those resources.

The bio-diversity would provide scientists with new subjects to study, which can lead to new breakthroughs in medicine, genetics, and other fields. And depending on how unique and/or dangerous some of the life forms are hunting is another source of revenue. You just have to decide if it's going to be the kind of hunting we have now (licenses, seasons, limits on amounts killed, ect) or the kind that was in place back in the wild west days.

I currently see only one problem. We have plenty of money, but you didn't say anything about workers. Once you begin hiring you're not going to be able to keep the system hidden for long. Corporations, pirates, claim jumpers, and the like are going to try to move into the system. I think the best play is to cozy up to some of the larger corporations and work out some deals with one or more of them. Let them deal with those headaches.

Thanks for all the feedback already.
The Solar System is located in the Corkscrew Galaxy, more info is unknown at this point in time.

Is there any of the power blocs with whom you would prefer to associate, make a deal?
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Nuristas wrote:[

Is there any of the power blocs with whom you would prefer to associate, make a deal?

For that, you have review what the overall policies of each of the power blocs are towards colonies:

TGE: If the planet has any sort of value, the Empire will want a piece of it. They're out.
CCW: Their pretty much regulated individualists, so it's possible to get backing without drawing big-time attention, but your information is sure to eb registered SOMEWHERE.
FWC: They're stretched too thin to offer any support to anything that doesn't help them fight the TGE.
UWW: They might help you if there's anything magical about your world or you can provide them with something they can use. Otherwise, they're much like the CCW in that somebody will note your world in an atlas somewhere.
GR: Golgans might give you support, but only if you don't pose a threat to them. Plus they'll have you fill out forms that will take centuries to get through. On the other hand, that same red tape tangle also makes it possible that the location and specifics of your worlds will be lost in the paperwork.
Altess Dynasty: You better promise a good payoff on their investment or they'll just buy you out.
Naruni: They'll offer you assistance, but they'll wind up owning you.
Hartigal Combine: They'll offer you assistance happily enough, but it might also draw Naruni's interest.
Central Alliance: Lot of borderline worlds with folks looking for opportunity. If you like having a heavily 'borged workforce, they're your folks. On the other hand, if you abuse the help...well, you got a disgruntled heavily 'borged workforce squatting on your planet.

So your best choices are(probably) the CCW(money and bureaucratic indifference), the Central Alliance(discretion and heavy labor), UWW(magic and again bureaucratic indifference), Hartigal, and the Golgans.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Return to “Rifts®: Dimension Books”