Starship Vs Palladium Warlock

Dimension Books & nothing but..

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Does Earth worlock magic create or convert elements

Poll ended at Wed May 01, 2019 4:08 am

Creates material to use, allow River of Lava in Space
33%
Converts material, Earth Warlocks are useless in Space.
67%

Total votes: 6

Greyaxe
Champion
Comment: Role playing is not my hobby, it is my lifestyle.

Starship Vs Palladium Warlock

Unread post by Greyaxe »

Hello friends.
I have a bit of a dispute with a player and I want input from the forum.

RIVER OF LAVA IN SPACE.
Specifically on the bridge of a Capitol class starship. Does the spell create the necessary material to cause a flow of magma to erupt in the starship, or does it convert earth and stone into magma and thus is only effective on land.

If it creates the necessary material then this is the most devastating spell ever. I had a high level warlock cast this spell on the bridge of a warship killing the entire bridge crew and destroying several decks of a starship crippling a massive ship with only a handful of PPE. Total overpower and wrecking game balance in an already unbalanced system.

Alternatively, if warlocks need the necessary elements to work their spells earth warlocks are useless in space. A real possibility in my opinion but want a consensus from our friends here to create an overall ruling.
Sureshot wrote:Listen you young whippersnappers in my day we had to walk for 15 no 30 miles to the nearest game barefoot both ways. We had real books not PDFS and we carried them on carts we pulled ourselves that we built by hand. We had Thaco and we were happy. If we needed dice we carved ours out of wood. Petrified wood just because we could.
Father Goose
Adventurer
Comment: If I could go back in time, I would join the cast of "The Thrilling Adventure Hour"

Re: Starship Vs Palladium Warlock

Unread post by Father Goose »

Greyaxe wrote:Hello friends.

RIVER OF LAVA IN SPACE.
Specifically on the bridge of a Capitol class starship. Does the spell create the necessary material to cause a flow of magma to erupt in the starship, or does it convert earth and stone into magma and thus is only effective on land.

If it creates the necessary material then this is the most devastating spell ever. I had a high level warlock cast this spell on the bridge of a warship killing the entire bridge crew and destroying several decks of a starship crippling a massive ship with only a handful of PPE. Total overpower and wrecking game balance in an already unbalanced system.

Alternatively, if warlocks need the necessary elements to work their spells earth warlocks are useless in space. A real possibility in my opinion but want a consensus from our friends here to create an overall ruling.

Option 3: The Warlock neither creates, nor converts the element, but instead taps into the elemental plane and calls forth the effect from there. Ultimately this leads to the same effect as the create option, though it's thematically different.

Personally, if someone were to use that spell while on board a ship in a game I was running, I would rule that the lava ate through the hull, caused a breach that tore the ship in half, and killed everyone. I would only have to do that once before people got the message that they need to exercise caution and show some responsibility when using weapons of mass destruction on board a space ship.
taalismn wrote:Hey, you came up with a novel, attention-getting idea, you did the legwork, you worked it through, you made it fit the setting, even though initial thought might be 'nah, it can't work, it's too silly/stupid/lame', and you posted something that only required a little adjustment, yet can be added to, without diluting its original concept. How can we not give you due support and credit?
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Page 194 of Adventure on the High Seas book for PFRPG has a section about magic use at sea. It then gives a brief overview on how each of the mage classes can be useful at sea and some of the spells they can bring with them, to include a bit about warlocks. However, when it goes into each of the warlock classes individually, Earth warlocks are left out entirely. So I'm thinking there must be a restriction of some sort that makes their magic less effective while on the open seas, and if that's the case, then the same should apply while in outer space.

Now what exactly this restriction is and how it would apply in space I don't know. There aren't any details given on why Earth warlocks aren't included in that section.
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

UPDATE: I just thought to check the 1st Ed version of that book. In it, instead of saying what each mage OCC can bring it lists spells that would be useful at sea. There's a total of nine Earth warlock spells listed and River of Lava isn't one of them. Furthermore, under the Fire warlock it mentions that that spell can't be cast in water or on a ship. As a result, I must conclude that Earth warlocks are useless in space.
Father Goose
Adventurer
Comment: If I could go back in time, I would join the cast of "The Thrilling Adventure Hour"

Unread post by Father Goose »

The Beast wrote:UPDATE: I just thought to check the 1st Ed version of that book. In it, instead of saying what each mage OCC can bring it lists spells that would be useful at sea. There's a total of nine Earth warlock spells listed and River of Lava isn't one of them. Furthermore, under the Fire warlock it mentions that that spell can't be cast in water or on a ship. As a result, I must conclude that Earth warlocks are useless in space.

Seems pretty clear then. No space lava.
taalismn wrote:Hey, you came up with a novel, attention-getting idea, you did the legwork, you worked it through, you made it fit the setting, even though initial thought might be 'nah, it can't work, it's too silly/stupid/lame', and you posted something that only required a little adjustment, yet can be added to, without diluting its original concept. How can we not give you due support and credit?
Braden Campbell
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Unread post by Braden Campbell »

Our starships are safe again. But, for how long...?
Braden, GMPhD

If that doesn't prompt you to buy it, I don't know what else I can say.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Braden Campbell wrote:Our starships are safe again. But, for how long...?

Until I finish my TW missiles
River of Lava +
Dimensional Portal (to provide the needed material)?
Or maybe lots of "Create wood"?
Or Create Metal?
Or...

Whatever it is, this new missile summons rivers of Lava onto the hulls of unsuspecting space ships
Muauahahahhahaha
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Redmace
D-Bee

Unread post by Redmace »

Thanks for the idea muahahahahahahaha
dragonfett
Knight

Unread post by dragonfett »

Oh, TW Molten Hull Breaching Charge, using the spell River of Lava to create lava right on the hull of a ship to breach it!
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
Against an Army of Darkness
And Horrors Unknown
Colonel_Tetsuya
Champion

Unread post by Colonel_Tetsuya »

Greyaxe wrote:Hello friends.

RIVER OF LAVA IN SPACE.

Considering that they had to board the enemy ship, and reach the bridge... i dont see the issue.
Im loving the Foes list; it's the only thing keeping me from tearing out my eyes from the dumb.

Return to “Rifts®: Dimension Books”