Wormwood (Braden Palladium Fantasy SDC method)on megaverse?

Dimension Books & nothing but..

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

tejas121
Newb

Wormwood (Braden Palladium Fantasy SDC method)on megaverse?

Unread post by tejas121 »

Hello Megaverse Ambassadors. I am wondering if anyone has tried Braden's Wormwood solution. Wormwood is missing several key design references in Rifts, and it has puzzled me as perfect yet incomplete for many years. Braden has suggested just making Wormwood a Palladium Fantasy game, and by doing so suddenly references to 'standard magic swords' and such in Wormwood make sense. I have been meaning to do a full playtest, in fact I may do just that to my current group. I was wondering if anyone has experience trying this SDC experiment and if so what results you care to share? Thanks in advance on palladium-megaverse
Glorath
Megaversal® Ambassador

Re: Wormwood (Braden Palladium Fantasy SDC method)on megaver

Unread post by Glorath »

Does the material in the Conversion book not answer the questions? Honestly just wondering, not trying to be snarky.
In Xanadu did Kubla Khan
A stately pleasure-dome decree:
Where Alph, the sacred river, ran
Through caverns measureless to man
Down to a sunless sea.
Levi
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Location: Lost in a dream world with the occasional nightmare of what might be reality.

Unread post by Levi »

Wow, no one responded for 10 months on this thread! I am rarely on the forums these days and I mostly just interact with the PF board.

tejas121, I felt Wormwood is better suited to be an SDC fantasy world for a long time. I am not aware of Braden's Wormwood solution either. To convert to SDC you should be able to find most of the guidance you need in the conversion book. Ignore anything that doesn't fit and add in as much from PF as you want. If you have specific questions on conversions you might be able to get some answer here or in the PF board.
As a man's shadow follows his footsteps wherever he goes, so will destruction pursue those who commit evil deeds.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Levi wrote:Wow, no one responded for 10 months on this thread! I am rarely on the forums these days and I mostly just interact with the PF board.

tejas121, I felt Wormwood is better suited to be an SDC fantasy world for a long time. I am not aware of Braden's Wormwood solution either. To convert to SDC you should be able to find most of the guidance you need in the conversion book. Ignore anything that doesn't fit and add in as much from PF as you want. If you have specific questions on conversions you might be able to get some answer here or in the PF board.

Maybe you could Mod it that it a person tries to cross the black wall (IATEOTW) they end up in a SDC/SD WW. Where the world tree links to the HU game. Ether to earth setting, or space.Milkyway Galaxy as a whole setting.
Other places the world tree might lead to is the world of the Nightbane game, or After the bomb's setting, or the System Failure game's setting. (N&S, TMNT, Recon, BTS can be used as supplements to the other SDC/SD games.)
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Braden Campbell
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Unread post by Braden Campbell »

A looooong time ago, I had this notion that the company should launch a series of SDC "dimension books" for the Fantasy line... called "realms books." And that Wormwood could be reworked to be the first such supplemental setting for that line.

One thing I can tell you (having brought a few of the demonic monsters into my on-going Fantasy game) is that the greater Minions of Darkness have to have their SDC/Hit point pool greatly reduced (otherwise, a single Rathos Rumbler can take more damage than an adult dragon). Cut lop two 0's off the end, give then a low natural AR, and you should be good.
Braden, GMPhD

If that doesn't prompt you to buy it, I don't know what else I can say.
SolCannibal
Champion

Unread post by SolCannibal »

Braden Campbell wrote:A looooong time ago, I had this notion that the company should launch a series of SDC "dimension books" for the Fantasy line... called "realms books." And that Wormwood could be reworked to be the first such supplemental setting for that line.

One thing I can tell you (having brought a few of the demonic monsters into my on-going Fantasy game) is that the greater Minions of Darkness have to have their SDC/Hit point pool greatly reduced (otherwise, a single Rathos Rumbler can take more damage than an adult dragon). Cut lop two 0's off the end, give then a low natural AR, and you should be good.

Yes, they do suffer from something of an "MDC in the hundreds just because" syndrome that was a little too common in the early books. For an example of that at work, just check the Brodkil in Sourcebook1 - and for a rare case of official update/retooling - then compare to their War on Tolkeen equivalents for reference.
SirSpamHammer
Explorer

Unread post by SirSpamHammer »

Apologies for Necroing this post....but does Wormwood really work as a SDC realm or world?

I would also love to see proper maps showing the continents and other places of Wormwood and detailed maps of the towns and cities and important buildings and other landmarks.

You see, I have crazy idea about using Wormwood as template for the hollow-world version within the Fantasy world of Palladium itself. Now, I know that it may not fit those perimeters, but I would try my best to make it so.

Please advise me or here or I will start my own thread about it.....
SolCannibal
Champion

Unread post by SolCannibal »

SirSpamHammer wrote:Apologies for Necroing this post....but does Wormwood really work as a SDC realm or world?

I posted just the day before you and the hiatus was just a little above 4 months. It's fine, not really necroposting. :wink:

SirSpamHammer wrote:I would also love to see proper maps showing the continents and other places of Wormwood and detailed maps of the towns and cities and important buildings and other landmarks.

You see, I have crazy idea about using Wormwood as template for the hollow-world version within the Fantasy world of Palladium itself. Now, I know that it may not fit those perimeters, but I would try my best to make it so.

Please advise me or here or I will start my own thread about it.....

MAPS, now that's a pretty good question. AFAIK, what we do have is limited to the few sparse details in the Dimension Book.
No Rifters articles expanding on any of it, to my knowledge at least.

In fact you might want to look into this topic, for a number of thoughts and discussion related to the subject - in fact the current topic might be seen as spin-off/reaction to the previous one, so definitely worth giving a look, imho.

Return to “Rifts®: Dimension Books”