is Eylor a planet or a dimension or a family of dimensions?

Dimension Books & nothing but..

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Axelmania
Knight

is Eylor a planet or a dimension or a family of dimensions?

Unread post by Axelmania »

I seem to recall in WB2 (Atlantis) it was originally presented as just being a living planet (similar to Wormwood perhaps?) in some unspecified dimension that the Splugorth presumably shared access to...

but DB7p26 mentions "Eylor: One of the Splugorth dominated dimension s that is the source of a major Bio-Wizard component, the Eyes of Eylor"

It occurs to me that maybe there might be a "main Eyelor" similar to the Demon Planet in Dimensional Outbreak, but then maybe it has child-planets which are lesser versions, similar to the demon planet?

As for the dimensions, perhaps each planet exists in a self-contained pocket dimension? That's the impression I got of Wormwood, that it might be all there is, aside from a moon or two.

Pg 10 of DB7 says this can be as small as a mile, on the optional table. If you roll "None" (pg 11) for a Primary Dimensional Medium, then if your secondary medium is "a planet" (pg 12) then it would just be the planet, not even a void of space around it.
MadGreenSon
Explorer

Re: is Eylor a planet or a dimension or a family of dimensio

Unread post by MadGreenSon »

Wasn't there a Rifter article about Eylor? I could swear there was, but I can't remember it clearly...
Whiskeyjack
Adventurer

Unread post by Whiskeyjack »

I personally play it as a dimension that contains the planet. Only the Splugorth have knowledge of its location.
ITWastrel
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by ITWastrel »

Whiskeyjack wrote:I personally play it as a dimension that contains the planet. Only the Splugorth have knowledge of its location.

I play is as an infinite dimension, named after the one unique thing in it, the Eyelor planet(s). just like Rifts Earth dimension isn't just Earth.

You've just given me an idea though, a module where players would discover a whole "race" of living planets spread out over said dimension, and the populations who live in symbiosis with them. Antagonists would include "evil" planets roaming around eating other planets, their followers/populations, space laser battles, and the MacGuffin would be a star-killer bomb.

Inspiration!
Curbludgeon
Hero
Comment: They/Them

Unread post by Curbludgeon »

I run it as secretly being akin to the Cordwainer Smith story A Planet Named Shayol, where (spoiler) sentients are biomedically tortured into generating superfluous organs which are routinely harvested. That Linebarger(Smith) himself had a glass eye and otherwise poor vision lends a little resonance. Sticking "Eylor" into a pocket dimension with weird, otherwise undesirable but in this case necessary qualities allows for as many of the organs as is wanted without each Splugorth holding just having an adjacent body farm.
Rogerd
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Rogerd »

Axelmania wrote:As for the dimensions, perhaps each planet exists in a self-contained pocket dimension? That's the impression I got of Wormwood, that it might be all there is, aside from a moon or two.

Infinite dimension rubbish is a holdover from things like DnD for those that have no understanding of really big.
Some of the best examples of dimensions done right is Lords of Gossamer, with varying sizes. Some are only a solar system, while others are galactic clusters (The Black).

Others are places of pure nightmare, Nightmare Kingdom, and out to infect other dimensions (Otherlands). It is also why when I run this in mind I have Atlantis (MCU Asgardians), Lemuria as their own dimensions in their own right which are galaxy sized.
ITWastrel
Dungeon Crawler

Rogerd wrote:
Axelmania wrote:As for the dimensions, perhaps each planet exists in a self-contained pocket dimension? That's the impression I got of Wormwood, that it might be all there is, aside from a moon or two.

Infinite dimension rubbish is a holdover from things like DnD for those that have no understanding of really big.
Some of the best examples of dimensions done right is Lords of Gossamer, with varying sizes. Some are only a solar system, while others are galactic clusters (The Black).

Others are places of pure nightmare, Nightmare Kingdom, and out to infect other dimensions (Otherlands). It is also why when I run this in mind I have Atlantis (MCU Asgardians), Lemuria as their own dimensions in their own right which are galaxy sized.

Actually, I was referring to the official rules and definitions of dimensional sizes, as stated on Page 10 of Dimension book 7, Megaverse Builder (DB7:MB PP10).

Questions on these boards should always be answered with cannon rules (and hopefully page numbers) or else someone here will argue with you.
Rogerd
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Rogerd »

ITWastrel wrote:Actually, I was referring to the official rules and definitions of dimensional sizes, as stated on Page 10 of Dimension book 7, Megaverse Builder (DB7:MB PP10).

Questions on these boards should always be answered with cannon rules (and hopefully page numbers) or else someone here will argue with you.

Yeah, I don't care nor am I interested in canon tbh
Infinite dimension sizes as I stated is for those that cannot just comprehend really big something might be to some idjit riding on horseback (or flying a plane) so out of laziness they put infinite instead of quantifying it.
ITWastrel
Dungeon Crawler

Rogerd wrote:
ITWastrel wrote:Actually, I was referring to the official rules and definitions of dimensional sizes, as stated on Page 10 of Dimension book 7, Megaverse Builder (DB7:MB PP10).

Yeah, I don't care nor am I interested in canon tbh
Infinite dimension sizes as I stated is for those that cannot just comprehend really big something might be to some idjit riding on horseback (or flying a plane) so out of laziness they put infinite instead of quantifying it.

Or, as an alternative, you can read the game text.

An infinite dimension has no boundaries. You cannot get to it's "edge"

Find an infinite dimension opposed to a pocket dimension with a defined size, which may vary from the size of a closet to large enough contain a whole galaxy, or several.

All this is on DB7:MB Pg10, bud.
Rogerd
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Rogerd »

ITWastrel wrote:Or, as an alternative, you can read the game text.

ITWastrel wrote:All this is on DB7:MB Pg10, bud.

Don't care.
Just because it is written in the book it does not mean it makes sense, nor is it right.
It is all about critical thinking.

ITWastrel wrote:An infinite dimension has no boundaries. You cannot get to it's "edge"

It also lazy writing, and well just dumb.
The dimensions just need to be really big, not infinite.
The caveat here is if you are talking multiverse mechanics then the maths make sense, because there is a mathematical symmetry to it. Then it depends upon the type of multiverse you are using.

ITWastrel wrote:Find an infinite dimension opposed to a pocket dimension with a defined size, which may vary from the size of a closet to large enough contain a whole galaxy, or several.

That is exactly what I said I believe.
And you know what else, if someone was trying to ride on horseback across a dimension the size of a galaxy - you know what they would conclude. It continues without limit, thus infinite even when it is not.

Amazing where common sense gets you.
ITWastrel
Dungeon Crawler

Rogerd wrote:
ITWastrel wrote:Or, as an alternative, you can read the game text.

ITWastrel wrote:All this is on DB7:MB Pg10, bud.

Don't care.
Just because it is written in the book it does not mean it makes sense, nor is it right.
It is all about critical thinking.

ITWastrel wrote:An infinite dimension has no boundaries. You cannot get to it's "edge"

It also lazy writing, and well just dumb.
The dimensions just need to be really big, not infinite.
The caveat here is if you are talking multiverse mechanics then the maths make sense, because there is a mathematical symmetry to it. Then it depends upon the type of multiverse you are using.

ITWastrel wrote:Find an infinite dimension opposed to a pocket dimension with a defined size, which may vary from the size of a closet to large enough contain a whole galaxy, or several.

That is exactly what I said I believe.
And you know what else, if someone was trying to ride on horseback across a dimension the size of a galaxy - you know what they would conclude. It continues without limit, thus infinite even when it is not.

Amazing where common sense gets you.

Yeah, so, I figured this was a games forum for a specific game with specific rules and specific answers, not a "yammer on about some idea unrelated to anything about the game because I love arguing about stupid stuff" forum.

Obviously I was in the wrong.
Rogerd
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Rogerd »

ITWastrel wrote:Yeah, so, I figured this was a games forum for a specific game with specific rules and specific answers, not a "yammer on about some idea unrelated to anything about the game because I love arguing about stupid stuff" forum.

Obviously I was in the wrong.

If the game fluff relating to the multiverse are so obviously out of whack then they are obviously wrong, and some changes need to be applied.

And the way the 'Megaverse' / multiverse is structured makes absolutely no sense at all.

Magic is essentially scientific sorcery, akin to weird powers from various other franchises. Most of them follow physics, albeit of the soft variety.
Crimson Dynamo
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Crimson Dynamo »

I play it even more streamlined, and despite any written text on the subject.

If it is some variant of Earth (TMNT, Robotech, Heroes Unlimited, Nightbane, etc.) OR it has really funky universal laws all its own, it's located in another dimension.

Otherwise it's just a remote region of the Rifts Earth universe, even if it's in a galaxy trillions of lightyears from the Milky Way or the Three Galaxies and completely inaccessible except by rifts.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Axelmania wrote:I seem to recall in WB2 (Atlantis) it was originally presented as just being a living planet (similar to Wormwood perhaps?) in some unspecified dimension that the Splugorth presumably shared access to...

but DB7p26 mentions "Eylor: One of the Splugorth dominated dimension s that is the source of a major Bio-Wizard component, the Eyes of Eylor"

It occurs to me that maybe there might be a "main Eyelor" similar to the Demon Planet in Dimensional Outbreak, but then maybe it has child-planets which are lesser versions, similar to the demon planet?

As for the dimensions, perhaps each planet exists in a self-contained pocket dimension? That's the impression I got of Wormwood, that it might be all there is, aside from a moon or two.

Pg 10 of DB7 says this can be as small as a mile, on the optional table. If you roll "None" (pg 11) for a Primary Dimensional Medium, then if your secondary medium is "a planet" (pg 12) then it would just be the planet, not even a void of space around it.

Eyelor is clearly refered to as a Planet.

There's no reason to assume it's a dimension. Nothing indicates this, or that there are child planets.

It may or may not be a pocket dimension, that's not really relevent.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon

Return to “Rifts®: Dimension Books”