The Speed of Fart

This is where you can all discuss our favorite nemesis ... The Mechanoids®, Enjoy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

The Speed of Fart

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Just in case it comes up that your PC is stranded floating in a zero-g environment, and tries to fart his/her way to freedom, somebody has calculated that an average fart could propel you about ONE meter in 13 minutes.

So, it's doable, but don't rely on it exclusively.

https://cheezburger.com/10695429/dudes- ... i_bQowJkF0
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Re: The Speed of Fart

Unread post by Jefffar »

But(t) that only works if your rear end is exposed to the vacuum. Otherwise the flatulence pressing against the seat of your space suit would cancel the momentum gained by the gas jet.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Jefffar wrote:But(t) that only works if your rear end is exposed to the vacuum. Otherwise the flatulence pressing against the seat of your space suit would cancel the momentum gained by the gas jet.

Who are you, who are so wise in the ways of science?
:D
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

Jefffar wrote:But(t) that only works if your rear end is exposed to the vacuum. Otherwise the flatulence pressing against the seat of your space suit would cancel the momentum gained by the gas jet.

Is vacuum the only place you can be zero G? could you not perhaps be effectively zero G inside a space ship and use farting to get to something if your arms and legs are broken? (although perhaps slower do to wind resistance.) Could farting while zero G cause you to go into a end over end spin?
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Blue_Lion wrote:[
Is vacuum the only place you can be zero G? could you not perhaps be effectively zero G inside a space ship and use farting to get to something if your arms and legs are broken? (although perhaps slower do to wind resistance.) Could farting while zero G cause you to go into a end over end spin?

Or you're the zero-gee equivalent of the atrophied human beings in WALL-E. Or Jabba the Hutt. Though that sort of hypertrophy and grossness gain might allow you to produce MORE gas/reaction mass than the average human gas expulsion...but then again, the more powerful jet is likely having to move more mass.
If I'm in an atmosphere and stranded like that, I think maybe I'd be better off trying to air-swim, than fart, puke, or belch my way to a handhold.

Zero-gravity fart propulsion is better left to impossible and gross comedy sketches or really unpopular alien metabolisms....
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Unread post by Warshield73 »

As with many things I find the PBS Space Time covered this pretty well.
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2

Return to “The Mechanoids®”