Asian Weapons Revisited

Mysticism, spies, cybernetic implants, & cool vehicles. Discuss these two great classics here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Asian Weapons Revisited

Unread post by Guest »

Since this subject has come up, I think it would be interesting to get more information on a very useful topic from the past. I've pretty much lumped most of the author submissions of weapons and related material together for ease of posting. However, some of the replies had special circumstances which rate their own area.

Kuseru Satsujin's original thread topic wrote:Everytime I read that Obscure weapons post, I keep remembering my desire to see a useful source on Asian weapons (let's face it, while there are alot of weapon books out there, many so-called encyclopedias/compendiums/what-have-you give Asian weapons (especially far eastern asian weapons) the shaft. And while there are tons of books on Asian weapons, not everyone has the time, resources, or ability to get their hands on them. With this in mind, I'd like to see people post Asian weapon conversions on here, if we get enough, I'll be more than happy to host such a collection on my site (most likely in the new PMAN portion) as a netbook compendium of martial arts/asian weapons. Of course this doesn't mean you should feel restricted to just the weapons of Asia. If you think you've got a better idea of how some other 'ancient' (i.e. covered under the Ancient W.P.s) weapons work or should work in the game, go ahead and post them.

A few things I'm looking for in particular:

1. Primarily Chinese, Korean, Thai, Vietnamese, Filipino, Indonesian, Malaysian, Mongolian, Tibetan, and Indian weapons (several of you already know that I've got quite a bit of notes on Okinawan/Japanese weapons, though if you've got some obscure bit of info you think I haven't seen yet, go ahead and post). But this doesn't mean other weapons aren't welcome, this is just what I'm looking at primarily.

2. Each weapon should have a description, which includes a physical description (of course even the same types of weapons will have some differences, if you think you know of ones important enough to include, do so) with length(s)/size of the weapon, who uses it, how it is used, a damage rating, weight if possible (trust me, it isn't always possible, many historians and researches neglect this little tidbit, or don't know how to find it out), range (for missile weapons), a picture (again, if possible), and other applicable notes such as ammo capacity, special moves or conditions, history (where possible), etc. NOTE: Country and subculture (where applicable) of the weapon are also important items, however a simple statement in the description can cover that (i.e. "a Japanese sword of blah, blah, blah").

3. While an applicable weapon proficiency is nice (especially for exotic weapons which may use more than one proficiency), it is not required, though if you want to post a new weapon proficiency (or several) along with weapons, go ahead.

4. If you see a weapon Palladium has already done, but think it needs a revision (and several do), feel free to post it as well.

Personally, I hope others are as excited about the possibilities of this project as I am, and that together, we can create a netbook which snubs the CWAC as much as it has snubbed us for it's poor collection of weapons applicable to the martial arts genre.

Unread post by Guest »

Mantisking's Weapons of the Philippines wrote:Olisi (Stick): This weapon is commonly called an Escrima or Kali Stick. It can be made from wood or bamboo, but most often it is made of rattan. Length: 0.74 meters/2.42 feet, Weight: 0.15 kilograms/0.33 pounds, Damage: 1D6, Cost: $12.

Mantisking's Weapons of China wrote:
Deer Antler Knives (Lu Jiao Dao) / Crescent Moon Piercers (Yue Ya Ci) / Mandarin Duck Blades (Yuen Yang Yue): These weapons consist of overlapping, crescent-shaped blades. One crescent points towards the user, the other away. The handle is the center portion of the crescent that is facing away. Usually used in pairs, one weapon is used to catch and lock the opponent's weapon while the other is used to strike the opponent. One variant of this weapon is called the Elk Horn Knives, it only has three prongs though. Weight: 2 pounds (0.91 kilograms), Width: 1.25 feet (0.38 meters), Length: 0.41 feet (0.13 meters), Damage: 1D6, Cost: $150 (for one).

Kwan Dao (General Kwan's Sword): This weapon, supposedly created by the legendary General Kwan, consists of a heavy sword blade attached to a stout staff. Length: 2.1 meters/7.0 feet, Weight: 9.09 kilograms/20.0 pounds, Damage: 2D8+2, Cost: $150.

Ta Ch'iang (Long Spear): This weapon is used in the Liu Ho Ta Ch'iang style. A long and very heavy spear, significant strength and training is required to use it properly. Length: 3.05 meters/10.0 feet, Weight: 7.26 kilograms/16.0 pounds, Damage: 2D8, Cost: $150.

Omei Tz’u (Emei Piercer): A short, thin, metal rod with points on both ends. A finger ring is mounted on a swivel in the middle of the rod. Length: 0.3 meters/1 foot, Weight: 0.34 kilograms/0.75 pounds, Damage: 1D6, Cost: $30.

P’u Tao (Long Handle Broadsword): This is a heavy Chinese broadsword blade with a short staff for a handle. Length: 1.5 meters/4.8 feet, Weight: 3.6 kilograms/8 pounds, Damage: 3D6, Cost: $160.

Sam Chieh Kun (Three Section Staff): Three long rods (2.2 feet each) connected by sections of chain (0.75 feet each). It looks like a staff-sized version of a nunchaku with an extra rod. It is also known as an “Eighteen Staff”. Length: 2.5 meters/8.1 feet, Weight: 4 kilograms/8.8 pounds, Damage: 2D6+1, Cost: $60.

Shuang Shou Tao (Two Handed Broadsword): This is a larger version of the standard Chinese broadsword. Length: 1.7 meters/5.5 feet, Weight: 3.2 kilograms/7 pounds, Damage: 3D6, Cost: $140.

Shuang Tao (Double Broadsword): This is a pair of Chinese Broadswords designed to fit together into the same scabbard. Length: 0.9 meters/3 feet, Weight: 1.1 kilograms/2.5 pounds (single) 2.3 kilograms/5 pounds (both), Damage: 2D6, Cost: $159.

W.P. Hook Sword: +1 to Strike and Parry at level 1. +1 to Strike at levels 3, 6, 9, 12, & 15. +1 to Parry at levels 3, 5, 10, & 13. +1 to Throw at levels 4, 8, & 14. +1 to Entangle at levels 2, 7, 11, & 15.

I've also thought that the 9 Section Whip should be W.P. Chain rather than W.P. Whip, or maybe a combination of both.

Mantisking's Weapons of Korea wrote:Joong Bong (Short Stick): This is the Korean version of the Escrima Stick. Length: 0.4 meters/2.25 feet, Weight: 0.9 kilograms/2 pounds, Damage: 1D6, Cost: $12.

Dan Gum (Short Sword): This is the Korean version of the Butterfly Sword. Length: 0.6 meters/2 feet, Weight: 1.4 kilograms/3.1 pounds, Damage: 1D6+1, Cost: $75.

Mantisking wrote:Ch’ang Hsiao Pang (Short Handle Sweeper): This is a short rod (1 foot) connected to a short staff (3.75 feet) by a length of chain (0.5 feet). Length: 1.6 meters/5.25 feet, Weight: 1.9 kilograms/4.25 pounds, Damage: 2D4, Cost: $30.

Di So Gee (Long Handle Sweeper): This is a long rod (2 feet) connected to a staff (6.5 feet) by a length of chain (1 foot). Length: 2.8 meters/9.5 feet, Weight: 3.9 kilograms/8.5 pounds, Damage: 3D4, Cost: $45.

Mantisking's Weapons from India wrote:Urumi: This Indian weapon consists of 1 to 4 blades of light, flexible steel attached to a hilt. The blades are 1.5 to 2 inches wide and sharp on both edges. It's generally used with whipping or flailing techniques when in combat. Also called a Spring Sword or Belt Sword, the Urumi can be carried concealed around the waist like a belt. Length: 0.9 meters/3 feet, Weight: 1.1 kilograms/2.5 pounds, Damage: 1D6+1, Cost: $119.

Chakram: A flat, razor edged, Indian throwing weapon similar to the Chinese lun (wheel), favored by Sikh warriors. It is thrown like an American frisbee.Length: 1 foot / 0.31 meters, Weight: 0.3 pounds / 0.14 kilograms, Damage: 1D6, Cost: $.

Mantisking wrote:Here's a few Hawaiian weapons. Most of the numbers are guesstimates at the moment. I'll add more weapons and maybe change some of the numbers in the future.

Hoe (Oar): This is a canoe paddle used as a weapon. Length: 5 feet / 1.53 meters, Weight: 3.3 pounds / 1.5 kilograms, Damage: 1D8+1, Cost: $.

Hoe Lei-o-mano (Shark Tooth Oar): This is an oar with shark's teeth placed along the edge of the paddle section. Length: 5 feet / 1.53 meters, Weight: 3.52 pounds / 1.6 kilograms, Damage: 1D8+2, Cost: $.

Ko'oko'o (Staff): Length: 6 feet / 1.83 meters, Weight: 3.3 pounds / 1.5 kilograms, Damage: 1D8, Cost: $.

Ko'oko'o Pokole (Short Staff): Length: 4 feet / 1.22 meters, Weight: 2.2 pounds / 1.0 kilograms, Damage: 1D6, Cost: $.

Ku'eku'e Lima Lei-o-mano (Knuckle Duster Weapon): This weapon has two versions. One is shaped like a "D", with shark's teeth around the outside of the curved section. The other is shaped like a "d", similar to a trench knife, it has shark's teeth around the outside of the curved section and and the extended section sharpened to a point. Length: inches / meters, Weight: pounds / kilograms, Damage: 1D, Cost: $.

Lei-o-manô (Shark Tooth Weapon): This weapon looks like a large ping-pong paddle with shark's teeth around the outside edge. The handle is sharpened to a point and can be used as a thrusting weapon. Length: 1.5 feet / 0.46 meters, Weight: 1.24 pounds / 0.56 kilograms, Damage: 1D6+1, Cost: $.

Maka Pâhoa (Double-Edge Dagger): This weapon looks like a wooden Jitte, but with both tines of a equal length. Length: 1.5 feet / 0.46 meters, Weight: 1.24 pounds / 0.56 kilograms, Damage: 1D6, Cost: $.

Newa (Short Club): A small, wooden club carved to look like a human hip or leg bone. Length: 1 foot / 0.305 meters, Weight: 1.5 pounds / 0.68 kilograms, Damage: 1D6, Cost: $.

Pahi (Knife): A wooden knife. Length: feet / meters, Weight: pounds / kilograms, Damage: 1D, Cost: $.

Pâhoa Ko'oko'o (Cane Double-Edge Dagger): A larger version of the Maka Pahoa. Length: 4 feet / 1.22 meters, Weight: 2.75 pounds / 1.25 kilograms, Damage: 1D8, Cost: $.

Unread post by Guest »

Tinker Dragoon wrote:Klewang
Short Sword; 2D4 damage; 5 lbs.; $???
The klewang is a Malaysian machete/sabre hybrid.

Kora
Large Sword; 2D6 damage; 8 lbs.; $???
The kora is the national sword of Nepal. It is a pure chopping weapon, ostensibly for the purpose of executions...

Kukri
Knife; 1D6+2 damage; ? lbs.; $???
The famous (and deadly) knife of Nepal's Gurkha mercenaries.
The edge is curved inward, and the back of the blade is straight for several inches, before angling towards the tip.

Kukri, Regimental
Short Sword; 2D6 (very sharp); 4 lbs.; $????
The regimental kukri is an enlarged version of the normal Gurkha knife. It is a ceremonial weapon, used to bless the regiment by beheading a water buffalo with a single stroke. Only one is issued per Gurkha regiment, and only for the specific purpose of the blessing ceremony.

NOTE: I have no idea if the image links still work. This post did happen quite a while ago.
Last edited by Guest on Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread post by Guest »

Okinawan Weapons Repost (This is how the original Okinawan Weapons were reposted into the Asian Weapons topic.)

Mantisking:
Okay, this is an incomplete list of Okinawan weapons that I've compiled. The format is the name of the weapon followed by the weapon proficiency it falls under.

Ryoba Katana (Sword): This is a double-edged, straight-bladed sword. It is similar to the Chinese Jian. Damage: 1D8+2

Yamakatana (Sword): This is a broad-bladed, single-edged sword that is heavier than a normal katana. It resembles the southern Chinese Nan Dao. The name literally translates into "Mountain Sword". Damage: 3d4+1

Puku (Spear): This is the spear Okinawans use for hunting. Damage: 1D8

Tuja (Spear): This is a three-pronged fishing spear. Damage: 1D8

Kusarigama (W.P. Kusarigama): This weapon is different than the Japanese weapon of the same name. It consists of two Kama joined by a length of chain. The chain can be used to entangle or choke. Damage: 1D8

Gekiguan (W.P. Gekiguan): This is a 3 1/2 foot stick with weighted rope or chain attached to one end. Damage: 1D6 (short staff)/ 1D8 (chain)

Rokushaku Kama (Polearm): This is a 6 foot staff with a sickle blade attached at a right angle to one end. Damage: 1D8

Toyei Nobori Kama (Polearm): This is a 5 1/2 foot staff with a hatchet blade attached at a right angle to one end. It is also known as a Nata. Damage: 1D8

Tanbo (Paired Blunt): This is a short stick, 1 foot long or less, that is used in pairs. Damage: 1D6

Tankon (Blunt): This is a 2 foot stick, designed to be used singlehandedly. Damage: 1d6

Tekko (Blunt): This weapon would be called a knuckle duster by Americans. It is "D" shaped, with the user holding the straight section of the "D". Sometimes there are bumps or projections on the curved section of the "D". Damage: 1D8

Techu (Blunt): This is a 1 foot metal or wood rod, that is tapered at the ends. It also has a swivel ring in the center. This weapon is similar to Bagua's Pun Gun Bi, but heavier. Damage: 1D6

Rokushaku Bo (Staff): This is a 6 foot staff. Damage: 1D6

Hassaku Bo (Staff): This is an 8 foot staff. Damage: 1D8

Kyushaku Bo (Staff): This is a 9 foot staff. Damage: 1D8

Daijo (Chain): This is a nunchaku variant. The rods of this weapon are only 6 inches long. Damage: 1d6

Tinbe(Knife): This is a short-handled weapon that resembles a tiny spear. It is usually used in combination with a leather or straw shield. Damage: 1D6

Kanzashi (Blunt): This item, a hairpin used by both Okinawan men and women, does 1D2 damage. It also can be used to perform Neural Atemi, Bloodflow Atemi, and Paralysis Attack.

Nuntei (W.P. Nuntei): This weapon is a 7 foot staff with a Manji no sai (see above) fastened to one end. It is also called the Nunti. Damage: 1D6. NOTE: This is listed under it's own weapon proficiency because it is a combination of the spear, staff, and forked W.P.s.

Mame (Small Thrown Weapons): A dried bean. Damage: 1D2 (S.D.C. only)

Kenju (Flintlock): This is a flintlock pistol.
Caliber: ??
Damage: 3D6
Feed: Muzzle Loader
Weight: 2.5 pounds (1.1 kg) loaded
Effective Range: 60 feet (18.24 m)
Overall Length: 15.5 inches (39.37 cm)

Kinawaju (Flintlock): This is a flintlock rifle.
Caliber: ??
Damage: 4D6
Feed: Muzzle Loader
Weight: 8.8 pounds (4 kg) loaded
Effective Range: 150 feet (45.7 m)
Overall Length: 49 inches (124.46 cm)

Kiseru (Blunt): This is an Okinawan pipe. It can be used for smoking tobacco or as a weapon. Generally made from wood, there are some made from metal. They range from 12 to 18 inches in length, though there are some of Chinese origin that are longer. Damage: 1D4 (Wood), 1D4+1 (Metal).

Chiu Tsi Kou (Nine Teeth Hook): This weapon is a variant of the Hook Sword. Instead of a crescent shaped hand guard, there is a half-moon shaped one that has nine spikes on it. Also instead of being hooked over, the end of the blade is straight with a short hook coming out of the side opposite to the hand guard. Like the Hook Sword, the Nine Teeth Hook is used as a set of paired weapons. Overall Length: ~50". Weight: ~4 lbs. Damage: 1D8+2 for the main blade, 1D8 for the spiked hand guard, 1d4 for the hook. W.P. Type: Large Sword.

Kuseru:
Kai (Blunt): The kai is a long, paddle-like wooden oar used primarily for boating in the Ryukyu islands, but readily adapted for use as a weapon. Damage: 1D8+1.

Gusan Jo (Blunt, Staff, or Stick): A three and a half foot wooden stick of Ryukyu archipelago origin. Damage: 1D4+2.

Sanjaku Jo (Blunt, Staff, or Stick): A three foot long staff of Ryukyu archipelago origin. Similar in all respects to the Jo. Damage: 1D8.

Sanbon Nunchaku(Chain): A three-section staff of Ryukyu archipelago origin, consisting of three separate two foot long staves connected with rope or chain. This weapon was originally introduced to the Ryukyu archipelago from China. Damage: 1D6+1.

Uchibo(Chain): This Ryukyu archipelago weapon consists of two staves, one longer than the other, connected by a short length of rope or chain. One staff is generally one foot in length, with the other being two and sometimes three feet long. Damage: 1D8.

Manji-no-sai(Forked): A weapon of Ryukyu archipelago origin, the manji-no-sai is similar to the sai, except that one of the two shorter tines curves downward. Damage: 1D6.

Abumi: woodens saddle stirrups which were also used as knuckle dusters. Damage: 1D4

Chizikanbo: These are knuckle dusters made from wooden fish floats. Damage: 1D4

Kuruman Bo: "supple long staff" This weapon is a six shaku long staff to which is attached by the means of a rope or chain, a second staff roughly 50 cm long. Similiar to many other Okinawan flail weapons, the original use of this was to harvest rice. This weapon comes from the village of Kume. Damage: 2D8

Tatsuko: A knuckle duster similar in design to the Tekko or Tekken, this weapon is made from metal hand has metal studs protruding where the knuckles are placed. Damage: 1D4+2

A few W.P.s that popped up as a result of the ensuing discussion:

W.P. Flail: This includes european flails, nunchacku, three section staves, long handle sweepers, and other weapons that are made of sections of wood separated by chain or rope. Bonuses: Start with +1 to Strike, +1 to Parry, and +1 to Entangle at level one. +1 to strike at levels 4, 6, 9, 14. +1 to Parry at levels 2, 5, 9, 13, 15. +1 to Throw at level 8. +1 to entangle at levels 3, 6, 9, 12, 15.

Bayonet: Use of the bayonet as a knife, mounted on a rifle and used as a spear or polearm, and use of the rifle itself as a club or staff. The Japanese name for this discipline is Jukenjutsu (Bayonet Techniques). The Japanese weapon which falls under this W.P. is the Juken.
+1 to Strike at levels 2, 7, 10, & 13.
+1 to Parry at levels 2, 6, 9, 12, & 15.

NOTE: All these items are listed as they originally appeared in the post (years ago). The accuracy (or lack thereof) is debatable. I don't know about Mantisking, but I've further refined the data on my weapons since then. I also removed W.P. Bayonet since Palladium stated it was covered under spear, and I roughly agreed with that.

Unread post by Guest »

Mantisking wrote:This is passed on from Ronin/Sonjin in reply to Isis' post. By way of background Sonjin is a 3rd degree black belt in the traditional Korean martial arts (DSD, TKD, Hapkido, Ship Pal Gi), specializing in Joong Bong Sool, the Korean equivalent of Kali.

1) Dan bong are extremely short, much shorter than kali sticks.
2) Joong bong are the size of kali sticks.
3) Jang bong are full staves.
4) Paired joong bong are called ssang bong, twin sticks.
5) Koreans were not occupied for much of their history, and had no problem training with weapons, with the noteable exception of the Japanese occupation during the early part of the 20th century. Indeed, the arts of Muye I Ship Sa Ban and Ship Pal Gi are almost entirely weapon systems, utilizing 24 and 18 traditional Korean weapons respectively, including the bongs. Do not confuse Korean history with Okinawan history. However, during various dynasties, archery was almost exclusively practiced due to Confucian recommendation. Also, Kuk Sool Won has an extensive repetoir, also including the various bongs, as does Hwarang Do.
6) Dan Bong are typically less than a foot long.
7) Style note, anyone who would use a stretch kick or axe kick against an experienced stick fight had better be damn fast, or should expected a broken knee cap, busted shin, or broken ankle. Sticks move faster than feet.
8) And that's DSD for Dang Soo Do, not Tang Soo Do.
Last edited by Guest on Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread post by Guest »

And now, for some new weapons.

BURMESE WEAPONS

Dalwel. A Burmese two-handed sword with a tanged steel blade. Damage: 3D6

Dha The national sword of Burma, it is a single-edged blade varies in length from about 12 to 24 inches (30-100 cm) and is slightly curved; the point is usually long, apart from a few specimens which are square-ended. Some blades are plain but others are grooved and decorated with scrolls, figures, and inscriptions inlaid in copper and silver. There is no guard and the hilt is long with hardwood, horn, silver, or ivory often beautifully carved or engraved. Shark skin is sometimes used to cover it. Dha scabbards are wooden and have brass or silver fittings with bands of cane, silver, or even gold. Occasionally a cord is wound around the scabbard and secured with a knot and a long loop to enable the weapon to be slung around the neck. Damage: 2D4+2

Dhaw. A Burmese knife. Damage 1D4

Panji: Burmese bamboo slivers wrapped in rattan with an arm band like strap. Damage: Add 1D4 to Forearm Strikes.

NOTE: I'm going to try to post more new weapons at least once each day, but I've got a lot of notes, so it may take longer.

NEW NOTE: Yeah, a lot longer. I went looking for pics and found a bunch of new notes. (Ironic isn't it, when you're looking for notes you can't find jack, when you're looking for something else, you find stuff for notes.)
Last edited by Guest on Thu Mar 03, 2005 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread post by Guest »

heretic888 wrote:The sanshaku tefuki is a special weapon from Togakure ryu Ninjutsu.

It's more commonly known as a Sanshaku Tenugui. It also pops up in several other Ninjustsu and Jujutsu styles.

Essentially, it is a three-foot cloth, often loaded with a heavy object like a rock or piece of metal. From what I have been told, it is used in a very similar way as the kusari fundo is in Masaki ryu.
Actually, it's used as a fist load, simlar to how a sap or blackjack is used, though also for hammer hand-style attacks.

I would just treat it as a variation of the manriki-gusari in actual gameplay.

Unread post by Guest »

Speaking of weapons, I do mostly have one little project done. It's still under construction, but it's finished enough for most usage.

Revised Ancient Weapon Damages

Unread post by Guest »

Vietnamese Weapons

Bat Tram Dao
: Vietnamese butterfly knife can be used in pairs, using both the hands at the same time to ward-off and counter-attack. Functionally identical to Mystic China’s Da Kan Dau.
Chinese Butterfly Knives

Cau Liem Kiem: Vietnamese hook sword. Functionally identical to Mystic China’s Wu Grou Jen.
Chinese hook swords

Cochin Dai-dao: Dao of Cochin China are of the two handed variety called dai dao. These are related to other Southeast Asian saber such as the Burmese and Thai dha. But they also show a strong Japanese influence. The Japanese influence on Vietnamese dai dao appears strongest in the fittings. These Cochin sabers have guards shaped like the tsuba of Japanese katana. Some are actually copies of tsuba right down to the holes on either side to allow for the utility knives present on the side of Japanese sword scabbards (but are absent on the dai dao). The Cochin dai dao also have a habaki or collar at the forte as do Japanese swords. Sometimes, oval, serrated washers like Jappanese seppa are also positioned between guard and collar. While these specific features are drawn from Japanese sources, the overall design of the Cochin saber is Southeast Asian. Their blades form closely follow the Chinese Willow Leaf pattern mentioned above. And the grips on these weapons are also of round cross-section, like those of Thai and Burmese dha. Damage: 2D6.
Bottom sword

Cung: A Vietnamese bow. Damage 1D6. Range 300 feet.

Cuu Tiet Mai Hoa Tien: Vietnamese chain, has the same characteristics; it is composed by a series of nine knots joined together. Functionally identical to the Chinese nine-section whip. Damage: 2D6+1
Chinese Nine-Section Whip

Dai Dao: This weapon, which consists of a spear with one or two crescent moon-shaped blades set just below the spearhead. Functionally equivalent to the Chinese Fang Tian Hua Ji or Sky Halberd. Damage: 4D4.
Chinese Double Halberd

Dai-dao††: Vietnamese two-handed saber †† The small "d" should be crossed. In Vietnamese, the D is pronounced like an English "d". A crossed D is pronounced like "z" in the north, like "y" in the south. Functionally identical to Mystic China’s Pok Dau.
Chinese Da Dao

Dao: Vietnamese sabre of Chinese origin. The Dao, in fact, is a heavy weapon, typically military, used by cut, that needs wide circular movements to perform the techniques with very hard impact. Functionally identical to Mystic China’s Lieu Yeh Dau.
held in arms

Dinh Ba: Vietnamese trident, used to perform ward off and counter-attack while blocking at the same time the weapon of the enemy. Functionally identical to the Chinese Tiger Fork. Damage: 4D4
Far right polearm

Doan-dao††: Vietnamese dagger †† The small "d" should be crossed. In Vietnamese, the D is pronounced like an English "d". A crossed D is pronounced like "z" in the north, like "y" in the south. Functionally identical to Mystic China’s Bi Shou.

Doan Con: Vietnamese short stick about 80 centimeters long (distance wrist - armpit). The short stick (1-2) is the better weapon for an application in a fighting, as it can be substituted by object of common use. It has the same length of the short weapons as the Dao (butterfly-sword). Also called Gian. Functionally identical to other short sticks of the same size. Damage: 1D4+1
held in arms

Guom: (in North Vietnam, also called Kiem) Vietnamese curved sword with one edge sharpened. It is used one handed and is similar to the Dao, but thinner. It’s blade design allows for slashing as well as thrusting. Damage: 2D4+1
Top sword

Khan: Vietnamese material belt as a band, that is characteristic of the uniform of the practicing of Viet Anh Mon: the belt is made of a double layer of cloth and it was used as a purse and in case of need it was used in a similar way as a medieval nailed star, whirling and hitting for the weight of the coins. Functionally similar to the Manriki-Gusari. Damage: 1D6-1

Khieng: Vietnamese shield.

Kich: Vietnamese lance with blade as a half-moon. that allow, for their particular conformation, to perform ward off and counter-attack while blocking at the same time the weapon of the enemy. Functionally equivalent to the Chinese Ma Ji or Horse Halberd. Damage: 3D4+2
Far right polearm

Kiem (Jian in Mandarin): A Vietnamese straight sword. The kiem is a double edged straight sword that has no parallel elsewhere in Southeast Asia. Kiem are clearly a direct descendant of the Chinese straight sword, or Jian, and mirror their general shape and design very closely. The Vietnamese kiem however are lighter with thin almost needle-like blades. In some respects the Vietnamese straight sword is reminiscent of European small swords and at first glance one might mistakenly assume a European origin for this weapon. Vietnamese(right sword with double cut), of Chinese origin, is lighter and easier to handle (than the Dao) and allows fluent movements, faster and more exact attacks, performed mostly with the tip of the sword. This is the light Chinese broadsword, often used in Kung Fu styles. The weapon's blade is straight, light and double-edged; it's a thrusting weapon, and normally only the four inches at the tip of the blade are used in combat. Functionally identical to Mystic China’s Shi-Zi Jen.
in use

Luc Liem Dai Dao: Vietnamese Halberd stick-sword with a shorter grip, that makes it easier to handle in contexts different from the clash in open field, too. Damage: 2D6.
center polearm

Luong Tiet Con: Vietnamese( nunchaku), derived from it; both were used to hit the rice, so to share it from the chaff. Functionally identical to the nuchaku. Damage: 1D6+1
Nunchaku

: A Vietnamese Crossbow. Functionally identical to a light crossbow. Damage: 2D4 Range: 340 feet.

Phi Long Da: Vietnamese meteor, is composed by a rope on which it is fixed a metallic point, and it can be as lethal as a weapon to launch, but in opposition of a knife or a arrow, it is immediately recoverable. Functionally identical to the Meteor Hammer. Damage: 1D4
Chinese Meteor Hammer

Phu: Vietnamese axe. Functionally identical to Mystic China’s Fu.
Chinese Li Kwei Axe

Quai: Vietnamese( tonfa), often associated to the sword to perform ward off techniques, was used for the grinding Functionally identical to the tonfa. Damage: 1D4
Tonfa

Quat: Vietnamese fan. Functionally identical to the fan. Damage. 1D4.
Martial Arts fans

Roi: "as mouse tail" Vietnamese stick, with conical section, about 2.10 meters long a weapons typical of the Vietnamese styles, whose origin goes back in the beginning of the 19th century, when in the Binh Dinh (Central Vietnam), was prohibited the practice of the martial arts: to train the techniques of lance (Thuong), they begin to use a stick with the same length, thinner in one end, that allow movements similar to the ones performed with the lance. Damage: 2D4

Song Dau Thuong: Vietnamese lance with two heads. In southern styles, the pole of the lance is a wooden or metal rigid stick, with cylindrical section; in North styles, like Thai Cuc Duong Lang, the pole is a stick with conical section, similar to the Roi stick, that, for its flexibility, allows to perform particularly insidious attack techniques, able to penetrate the enemy guard through sudden or rapid rotatory movements. The tassel decorating the point of the lance has the role to distract the enemy, as in rotatory movements it opens "as a flower" hiding partially blocking his view. Functionally identical to Mystic China’s Chiang Chiang.
Chinese Double Headed Spear

Song Gian: Vietnamese paired short sticks. See Doan Con.

Song Kiem: Vietnamese paired straight swords. See Kiem.

Song Dao: Vietnamese paired sabers. See Dao.

Tam Thiet Con: Vietnamese stick with three sections Functionally identical to Mystic China’s Shan Gieh Kun.
Three Section Staff

Te Mi Con: Vietnamese stick high as a man about 1.8 meters long. The weapon mostly diffused is certainly the long stick (3-4), present both in the Vietnamese and in the sino-vietnamese styles, that used this weapon in different way according to their strategy of fighting. According to the styles, the long stick could be held with the hands in opposition (positive-negative) or with the two hands turned on the same part (positive-positive); the stick can be also took up in the center, for a fighting in short distance in which the two heads are used; or with the hands at one end, that involve long distance and need more complex movements to change head. classical long stick high as a man, that is used both in the Vietnamese and in the Chinese styles. Functionally identical to the Bo staff. Damage: 1D10
in use

That Cuoc Mai Hoa Tien: Vietnamese in Thai Cuc Duong Lang, contrary to the other styles, uses a chain variant composed of seven knots. Functionally identical to the seven-section whip. Damage: 4D4-3.
Chinese Seven-Section Whip

Thiet Linh: Vietnamese(whip), a long stick linked to a shorter one. Of peasant flail origin. Functionally identical to Mystic China’s Shao Tzu.
Chinese Chang Xiao Ban

Thuong: Vietnamese (lance), most important of the long weapons. In southern styles, the pole of the lance is a wooden or metal rigid stick, with cylindrical section; in North styles, like Thai Cuc Duong Lang, the pole is a stick with conical section, similar to the Roi stick, that, for its flexibility, allows to perform particularly insidious attack techniques, able to penetrate the enemy guard through sudden or rapid rotatory movements. The tassel decorating the point of the lance has the role to distract the enemy, as in rotatory movements it opens "as a flower" hiding partially blocking his view. Functionally identical to Mystic China’s Chiang.
in use

Tien Bong: This is a single stick around 4' in length. Functionally identical to the Jo staff. Damage: 1D8

Tien Can: Vietnamese medium stick, a little longer than the precedent (at the height of the navel). The short stick is the better weapon for an application in a fighting, as it can be substituted by object of common use. Vietnamese medium stick Tien Can has the same length of the short weapons as the Kiem (sword with double cut). Functionally identical to the Hanbo. Damage: 1D8-1

Tonkin Dao: Sabers from northern Vietnam (Tonkin) show a strong Chinese influence. In blade form and design of fittings, they descend from the Ming type LiuYe Dao - 'Willow Leaf Saber'. These dao have a hand or hand and a half grip. Functionally identical to Mystic China’s Lieu Yeh Dau.
Top sword

Truong Con: A Vietnamese long stick, 3.5 meters long, used only in the Chinese styles, like Thieu Lam Chu Gia (Shaolin Zhou Gar). Functionally identical to Mystic China’s Chang Bahn.

Xa Mau: Vietnamese lance or spear with winding (as a snake) blade. In southern styles, the pole of the lance is a wooden or metal rigid stick, with cylindrical section; in North styles, like Thai Cuc Duong Lang, the pole is a stick with conical section, similar to the Roi stick, that, for its flexibility, allows to perform particularly insidious attack techniques, able to penetrate the enemy guard through sudden or rapid rotatory movements. The tassel decorating the point of the lance has the role to distract the enemy, as in rotatory movements it opens "as a flower" hiding partially blocking his view. Functionally identical to Mystic China’s Chiang Zhu.
Last edited by Guest on Sun Mar 06, 2005 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

KS, you have way too much time on your hands.

FG, not really, but the better training should open up the way for access to other techniques that make your weapon more effective (like the Martial Arts Techniques and Spceial Katas).
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.

Unread post by Guest »

Jefffar wrote:KS, you have way too much time on your hands.
Not really, I've just got lots and lots of stuff on my computer.
Mantisking
Hero

Unread post by Mantisking »

Here's my small list of Vietnamese weapons, and their counterparts.

Dia-Dao (Kwan Do)
Cau-Liem (Kama)
Song-Dau (Butterfly Sword)
Thuong (Spear)
Yen-Dao (Sai)
Kich (Halberd)
Bong (Staff)
Moc-Can (Tonfa)
Tien-Bong (Escrima Stick)
Tham-Thiet-Gian (Three Section Staff)
Long Gian (Nunchaku)
Ma-Dao (Broadsword)
Doan-Guom (Wakizashi)
Guom (Katana)
Kiem (Gim)
"I know twenty-six different points on your body I could hit and release enzymes into your brain to compel you to tell the truth -- Talk!"
Barry Ween, The Adventures of Barry Ween Boy Genius, Monkey Tales #3
Mantisking
Hero

Here's a short list of Thai weapons.

Krabi (Saber)
Krabong (Staff)
Plong (Staff)
Ngow (Halberd)
Daab (Sword)
Daab Song Meu (Paired Swords)
Mai Sun-Sok (Paired Tonfa)
Hok (Short Spear)
Toman (Tiger Fork)
Loh (Small Round Shield)
Ken (Small Rectangular Shield)
Dung (Large Rectangular Shield)
"I know twenty-six different points on your body I could hit and release enzymes into your brain to compel you to tell the truth -- Talk!"

Unread post by Guest »

Thai Weapons
The Thai language uses five tones, called mid (M), low (L), high (H), rising (R), and falling (F).

Baat (L): lasso, lariat, chain, snare, noose

Bpa (L) Dtak (L): archaic harpoon, spear

Bpang (M) Dtaaw (M): loanword, Chinese cleaver; butcher's knife

Cha (L) Muaak (L): harpoon; spear

Chakram, Thai: The Indian Chakram, usually with a sawtooth edge.

Daab/daap (L): A Thai sword used in Krabi Krabong. Thai sword. This is the more popular weapon in the history of Siam. Sometimes the warrior held two swords (One on each hand), this is call "Daab Song Muun" They can be used to stab or slash the opponent. Normally a ground weapon and is a little more curved and heavier than a "Krabi". It can be used to cut and stab. It is made from striked metal. Its shape is flat and curve at the end, weighing more than krabi. It is used in ground-level and horseback fights.

Daam (F) Jiu (F): A folding fan of Chinese design. Also called phat (H) daam (F) jiu (F).

Daap (L) Bplaay (M) Bpeuun (M): bayonet

Dha: length: 28" ,blade: 20 3/4",blade width: 1" base,grip: 7 1/4" Nice solid workingman's dha. 5/16" thick at spine of blade with distal tapering to 1/16" at the point. (By the way, this is one indicator you can use to tell tourist junk from authentic weaponry. Tourist junk invariably has a flat blade, working tools and weapons will be thicker at the base, tapering to thinner at the point. This is not a sure-fire identifier, but it's a great rule of thumb.) Sharp blade with dark patina, no maker's marks. Wooden grip with rattan banding, brass and copper plating. Wooden scabbard with lacqured black cloth wrapping for water-proofness. Someone or some generations carried and used this weapon regularly, but the blade edge is in perfect shape.

Diu (F): club, stick, bat, truncheon

Dtang (M) Ga (L): Pali spade, hoe, hatchet

Dtang (M) Gi (L) Gaa (M): Sanskrit axe, hatchet, chisel

Dung: Thai Long Shield. This weapon is a different kind of shield, it is long and thing. It covers from the shoulder until your knee and is made of skin or metal and is "HEAVY"!!! Thai tool for defense made from animal skin or rattan. It has long rectangular shape which curves like a leaf sheaf of a banana tree truck. It is about 100 centimeters long. (shield)

Graw (L): body armor; chain mail; protective plating

Haawk (L): lance, spike, spear

H/Na: A crossbow

Kaen: Thai Buckler. This medium shield is rectangular like DUNG, but is not very long. It adjust well on your forearm. Made from the same materials as the other shields. Thai rectangular-shaped weapon for defense. It is about 50 centimeters long. It is about 50 centimeters long. It is usually made from animal skin. (shield)

Khan (M) Chak (H)/Khan (M) Sohn (R)/Tha (H) Nuu (M): archery bow The longbow, which was also used as a staff at close quarters.

Khiaao (M): A sickle like the Javanese Arit.

Khwaan (R) Lek (H): hatchet

Khwaan (R): ax, axe

Krabi/Gra (L) Bee (L): A sword identical to the Burmese Dha and the Vietnamese Dai Dao. Like Japanese swords, it is basic pattern that is repeated at different lengths. The best swordsmen fight with a pair of identical-length. In my *Very* amateur observation, the striking movements look sorta like the "Doble Baston" of eskrima. Thai saber used for cutting and stabbing. It is made from striked metal. With its flat shape and sharp tip, it suits the groung-level fighting. It is used to stab, is thin and sharp ,metallic and is a ground weapon; Normally used by high rank soldiers. This is the European fencing saber, a very sharp, curved weapon used principally for slashing. It is included in The Ultimate Martial Artist because it is used with the Fencing style. The saber's statistics can also be used for the krabi, a saber-like sword used in Krabi-Krabong. Overall Length: 34"

Krabong/Gra (L) Baawng (M): Thai a wooden bar, made normally from Bamboo, It is 6 feet long. It is very easy to make one and very effective because of it's long range. Is normally a ground weapon and the people that used it are farmers that became soldiers.a long staff similar to the Japanese Rokushakubo.

Kris: Kris made in the Malay shape. The Thai kris is straight rather than pistol hilted, is always waved, and that's really about it. Usually no Aring, Dagu, or other peculiar features that distinguish Malay keris. All that matters is the waves.

Leaf Blade Sword: A sword with a leaf shaped blade.

Loh: Thai Round Shield. This weapon normally is used to block but you can strike with the edges as well. It is big and round, and is made of metal or skin. Thai self-defense. It is round, protruding in the middle and usually made from animal skin, rattan weaving together or metal. (shield)

Maai (H) Dta (L) Baawng (M): wooden club; cudgel

Mai Sowks: (also called Mae Sun Sowks and Mai Sun) Thai (wooden elbows). Eighteen inch long pieces of wood with double handles that were strapped to your arms. The mai sowks were developed for use against longer weapons but work well at all ranges. Much of what you see in traditional Muay Thai hand positioning, blocking, and stance come from the mai sowks. The mai sowks are a truly formidable weapon able to defend at distance and awesome in close with punches, elbows, slaps, hooks with the handles, and the ability to slide out to your hands and be used as clubs. Thai ground level weapon ,made of hard wood or bone. They come in pairs, each one you wear iton the out side part of your forearm. The weapon is used to attack as well asto block .Because it is a close range weapon you can use it very well in close combat. Thai rectangular lump of wood shaped like the bone at the tip of the arm. It is put on each lower arm for both fighting and defense. (shield)

Mit/meet (F): A single-edged Siamese dagger shaped exactly like the Krabong but tanto size.

Ngao: (also called Ngaw, ngaao (H)) Thai spear. This weapon is to be used on Elephant-back or horse-back. Normally the King would use this weapon. There is an extensive variety of different spears. When the King was going to Battle on the sides of the Elephant he had different kinds of spears. The end of some look like a knife, others looks like a fork, and some like a sword.
Some are for slicing, some to trap the opponents weapon, and some for stabbing etc. The spears consist of a strong and long wood pole and with a sharp metal end. The form changes1 depending of what kind of spear you are talking about. Thai long weapon used to cut and stab. Its body is made from fine metal. It is flat-shaped and curve at the end like daab but short and attached to a long wooden stick. It is the weapon used on the elephant back. Looks like the Chinese GuanDao, but thinner and with a hook in front. Used when dueling from Elephant-back; this is what King Naresuan used to kill the Crown Prince of Burma in 1556.

Ngow: This is similar to the Chinese Ghi halberd, which consists of a spear with one or two crescent moon-shaped blades set just below the spearhead.

Phra (H) Saaeng (R): official sword of state

Phraa (H): a big curved knife, a jungle sickle, a scythe

Plong/Phlaawng (M): This is a 5'-6' hardwood staff (also called Sri-Sok) Thai (four-cubit long) weapon used to strike.

Sa (L) Lao (R): A Cambodian loanword for arrow, spear

Saae (F): whip

Sak (L): spike, lance, javelin, sword, spear. Straight spear resembling the Yari.

Seuua (F) Graw (L): chain mail jacket

Thuan: This weapon is similar to the Chinese spear. It comes in dozens of unusual styles. Often the spear had a red tassel tied behind its head, partly for decoration and partly to keep blood from running back down the shaft and fouling the spearman's grip.

Trident, Thai: This is identical to the Indian Trisula. In artwork it is always depicted being gripped ice-pick fashion, implying downward stabs.
Mantisking
Hero

P’an Kuan Pi (Scholar’s Brush): A short rod that tapers from one end which is thick and round, to the other that ends in a point. This weapon can be used for stabbing attacks, or to strike atemi points. Length: 1 foot (0.3 meters), Weight: 0.5 pounds (0.2 kilograms), Damage: 1D6, Cost: $25, Weapon Proficiency: W.P. P’an Kuan Pi.

Tessen (Iron Fan) / Shon (Fan): This is a regular folding fan that has been strengthened for combat. Length: 1 foot (0.3 meters)(closed) / 1.8 feet (0.55 meters)(open), Weight: 1.1 pounds (0.5 kilograms), Damage: 1D6, Cost: $90, Weapon Proficiency: W.P. Fan.

Return to “Ninjas & Superspies™ & Mystic China™”