Power Punch in Ninjas and Superspies Revised

Mysticism, spies, cybernetic implants, & cool vehicles. Discuss these two great classics here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

socom242
Wanderer

Power Punch in Ninjas and Superspies Revised

Unread post by socom242 »

Greetings all!!!

The power Punch strike is as listed under Damage and under Strikes simply stated the strike does 1d10 damage. However under the explanation of Critical Strikes the following is stated

Jump Kicks,Leap Attacks, and Power Punches are all critical strikes that do double damage when successful.

So does that mean one could use the Power Punch strike over and over each time inflicting critical damage of 2d10 each time. Or should it follow theprotocol of Jump Kicks and Leap Kicks?

I'm curious to read how you players handle this contradiction

Thank you and I look forward to your response

~Socom242
~SOCOM242
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Re: Power Punch in Ninjas and Superspies Revised

Unread post by The Beast »

I would cross reference with HU2 and go with the one that either matches or comes close to matching with the version in that book. (I'm thinking it's the double-damage option though)
Axelmania
Knight

Re: Power Punch in Ninjas and Superspies Revised

Unread post by Axelmania »

For reference purposes, I believe OP is referencing page 128 (right column) and 129 (left column)

Stacking these RAW seems 100% fine to me because power punches need love and tend to be underutilized.

socom242 wrote:So does that mean one could use the Power Punch strike over and over each time inflicting critical damage of 2d10 each time.

It should be 1D10x2

socom242 wrote:Or should it follow theprotocol of Jump Kicks and Leap Kicks?

I'm curious to read how you players handle this contradiction

Jump Kicks do 1D8x2
Flying Jump Kicks do 1D10x2
Flying Reverse Turning Kicks do 2D6x2

I don't see any contradiction. The only oversight appears to be that pg 129 neglects to note that power punches are also critical hits.

The Beast wrote:I would cross reference with HU2 and go with the one that either matches or comes close to matching with the version in that book. (I'm thinking it's the double-damage option though)

Pg 67 uses a different approach (the dice are doubled, rather than the sum of the original dice) and doesn't have a higher base amount. I don't think this should apply to N&S, because N&S forms being better at power punching feels appropriate.

There's no need to nerf N&S, they already fall behind in total number of melee attacks since they explicitly don't get the 2 for living built into later editions of other games.

Pg 189's Physical Training has a slightly different version. Instead of double dice, it does double damage (even results only, no odd) and the only other difference seems to be that it can damage invulnerable creatures.

There's nothing there about inability to stack that with traditional rules, so if you normally did a 2D4 punch and 4D4 power punch, I'd let the physical training do a 4D4x2 power punch.

This still lags behind the dice you get from the major Supernatural PS power so it doesn't seem unbalancing.

the "Aggressive and Deadly" guys who get the massive Superhuman PS bonus could probably double their PS bonus via their Special Combat Ability could pull ahead, but that still feels fine to me. Gives them a niche.

Return to “Ninjas & Superspies™ & Mystic China™”