Acrobatics plus gymnastics?

Mysticism, spies, cybernetic implants, & cool vehicles. Discuss these two great classics here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Devari
Adventurer

Acrobatics plus gymnastics?

Unread post by Devari »

Does anyone know of any restriction that prevents a character from taking both the acrobatics and gymnastics skills and gaining the attribute bonuses from each skill? The rules for most Palladium games state that "all attribute and skill bonuses are accumulative" and I haven't found anything in N&S (or in any other Palladium game) that states that acrobatics plus gymanstics isn't a legal combination. As a GM I personally wouldn't allow a character to take both skills since they have too much overlap and provide very high bonuses when taken together, but I can't find any official rule disallowing this.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Perfectly legal and fairly common.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!

Unread post by Guest »

Yup, there is no rule disallowing a character from taking both Acrobatics and Gymnastics.
Devari
Adventurer

Unread post by Devari »

Thanks for the replies. I always assumed that there was some restriction somewhere, but it looks like the two skills can be taken together.

In other Palladium games this isn't much of an issue since acrobatics and gymnastics only provide a +1 P.P. bonus, but in N&S each skill provides a +1D4 P.P. bonus. For some reason many of the physical skills in N&S (boxing, climbing, etc.) have better attribute bonuses then the same physical skills in other Palladium games. This is probably due to changes in the Palladium rules, but I still use the N&S physical skills for N&S characters because I assume that the higher attribute bonuses could simply reflect more advanced physical training.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

darkmax wrote:stacking them make survivability of the PCs better.

Unless the bad guys stack them, too.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Colt47
Champion
Comment: Keeper of the Pies

Unread post by Colt47 »

Actually, I just looked and Monkey Style Kung fu has both Acrobatics and Gymnastics as martial arts skills. Monkey style sounds like fun already :demon:
Norbu the Enchanter: Hello friends! What brings you to my shop today?

Big Joe: We need some things enchanted to take a beating...

Norbu: Perhaps you want your weapons enchanted? Or maybe a shield or sword? I can even enchant armor!

Big Joe: We need you to enchant this Liver, this heart, and these kidneys.

Norbu: :shock:
Kryzbyn
Hero
Comment: How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin.
Ronald Reagan

Unread post by Kryzbyn »

This might be a littel off subject, but if you read the new write ups in RUE about Gymnastics and Acrobatics, it seperates the 2 skills better.
It makes it sound like Gymnastics is for ground work, like tumbling and such, while acrobatics is for arial maneuvers, like back flips.
Also, they changed it so there isn't as much overlap from taking both skills.

Just a FYI :P

BAD MOMMA DOG-FACE BANANA PATCH
"Well said, Kryzbyn! :ok: " -Killer Cyborg
"...I have to agree with the questions and comments made by Kryzbyn." - The man himself, Kevin Siembieda
+100 "acting like a real man" points - DLDC
"Damnit, we agree on something. It's time to rethink my position." - Misfit KotLD
HIPPIES ARE WHAT D-BEES EAT
thorinteague
D-Bee

Re: Acrobatics plus gymnastics?

Unread post by thorinteague »

(Totally necro thread, I know, but uhh... here's something...)

Acrobatics:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XXllk_rgbs

Gymnastics:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooV8Rl2fvRQ

See the difference? They're very different skills. I could see the subskills stacking or not stacking either way. In my game you'd have to take training in the primary skill they're improving and take the best of the two.
green.nova343
Adventurer

Re:

Unread post by green.nova343 »

Devari wrote:Thanks for the replies. I always assumed that there was some restriction somewhere, but it looks like the two skills can be taken together.

In other Palladium games this isn't much of an issue since acrobatics and gymnastics only provide a +1 P.P. bonus, but in N&S each skill provides a +1D4 P.P. bonus. For some reason many of the physical skills in N&S (boxing, climbing, etc.) have better attribute bonuses then the same physical skills in other Palladium games. This is probably due to changes in the Palladium rules, but I still use the N&S physical skills for N&S characters because I assume that the higher attribute bonuses could simply reflect more advanced physical training.

I believe that was a holdover from the early editions of certain games -- HUr, for example, has the same bonuses as N&SS. Those were also the days, though, when if you had an exceptional attribute, you only rolled 1 extra die (the "roll a 2nd die if the first one gives you a 6" rule didn't exist), so even with those extra bonuses most human characters still couldn't get above 30 on their attributes.
thorinteague
D-Bee

Re: Re:

Unread post by thorinteague »

green.nova343 wrote:I believe that was a holdover from the early editions of certain games -- HUr, for example, has the same bonuses as N&SS. Those were also the days, though, when if you had an exceptional attribute, you only rolled 1 extra die (the "roll a 2nd die if the first one gives you a 6" rule didn't exist), so even with those extra bonuses most human characters still couldn't get above 30 on their attributes.

Ok, so I'm not crazy....

(Or maybe I am, but my memory did not fail me on this one)...

I haven't played Palladium regularly since the 90s, and I haven't played at all since around 2000. Coming back to HU2e, there was a lot that came back to me but I was tripping out about that exploding exceptional d6, which I thought I must have missed somehow all those years ago... :eek: :D

Return to “Ninjas & Superspies™ & Mystic China™”