Black Belt

Mysticism, spies, cybernetic implants, & cool vehicles. Discuss these two great classics here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Black Belt

Unread post by jaymz »

So at what level would character be a "Black Belt" and then how many levels would gaining a higher "degree" of "Black Belt" be?

I'd explain why I am asking but that may run afoul of the "no conversions" policy.

Thanks in advance.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Re: Black Belt

Unread post by Jefffar »

With the exception of the 'Agent' forms, I'd say that all the Martial Arts you are starting at the equivalent to at least a Black Belt plus some extra special time with a true master learning secret techniques that are never taught to outsiders.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

So level 1 is essentially your graduation to "Black Belt". If we

It looks like there are 8-10 degrees of "Black Belt" so if we got with 10 degrees....

1st degree is level 1.
2nd we will say is level 2.
3rd is level 3.
4th is level 4.
5th is level 5. At this point going higher generally means time served (XP to gain 2 levels) as well as "quality" of ability.
6th is level 7.
7th is level 9.
8th is level 11.
9th is level 13.
10th is level 15.

That'll work.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

I really meant the at least a black belt when I said at least a black belt. Trying to put degrees on the black belt when the character has learned to smash tank armour with his bare first, lower his body weight to the point of climbing walls like an insect, paralyze his oponent with a finger poke or disrupt the very life energy of an opponent is pointless. The character is a master. They may be a young master, but they have earned the title.

So if I was talking a PC, they start at level 1 and they can claim they have 6 or 8 or 12 degrees in the black belt of the martial art form they practice as part of backstory. What matters is they have spent time with a true master and transcended the basic teachings of the art and become a master themselves.

Now, if we're talking an NPC who has a black belt in 12 different fighting systems and is the heir to secrets one of the last ninja clans, set them at a suitible level in their primary form(s) to make them suitibly epic and challenging for your game and have them know a bunch of other forms that they are lower levels in to represent their skills.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
Rogerd
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Rogerd »

jaymz wrote:So at what level would character be a "Black Belt" and then how many levels would gaining a higher "degree" of "Black Belt" be?

I'd explain why I am asking but that may run afoul of the "no conversions" policy.

Thanks in advance.

Level 1 would be beyond black belt really, as you mean the term.
It does not take ten years of training to get level one in any martial art. Therefore the implication is that there is more involved in that training. Likely an unholy amount of fitness that would rival a navy seal, and building automatic reflexes such that the character can react almost instantly.

In essence you would be like the martial artists of old.

None of that a modern black belt could do. Not even close.
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Honestly what I'm realizing is the martial arts as written need to be redone frankly.

\m/
Rogerd
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Rogerd »

jaymz wrote:Honestly what I'm realizing is the martial arts as written need to be redone frankly.

I think that is true of a lot of things in Palladium to be honest.

To be honest N&S as a setting, the martial art powers need to more akin to Gurps Martial Arts.

Mystic China would be better if it was included in the Nightbane setting, and would make a lot more sense, and all the chi stuff needs rolling into magic.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

I agree with Jefffar on this.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Fenris2020
Adventurer
Comment: Go woke, go broke.

Unread post by Fenris2020 »

The way I do things is different.

1st-4th levels, white belt. You know all of the moves, but lack practical experience.
5th-9th levels, brown (or whatever you like) belt.
10th-13th levels, black belt.
13th-15th levels, master.

I also start characters off at no older than 24 years old; I assume they've studied martial arts from the time they were 5-12 years old, depending on the martial art. then learned their OCC from the ages 0f 16+, depending on what it is.
You are a truly worthy foe! I shall howl a dirge in your honour and eat your heart with pride!
Warmaster40k
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Warmaster40k »

If you look at how learning martial arts works in real life you really don't start learning the really cool stuff untill Black Belt. The prior belts are just tests to determine your mastery of the basics and foundation of the art. It's when you end the training do you go learning the more esoteric forms and abilities of your characters life. Sure at level one you have some powers, but most martial arts don't even give you the option to master your chi until 3rd level. Something real masters claim to yake a decade atleast to do in real life. Getting your blackbelt is the just the equivalent of graduating high school, and see you off to enter the real world, where you honestly learn the most and apply and mold your skills, and develop them to greater heights. Hell even masters continue growing after. This is why a starting martial artist begins at running a school and teaching.
I am the Omega, I am the thread killer, my post is death.

Return to “Ninjas & Superspies™ & Mystic China™”