USMC to issue H&K M27 to every Rifleman

1'st edition, Deluxe Revised. Military strategies are the thing to discuss here. Oh yeah and how much damage that land mine will do.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Arnie100
Knight

USMC to issue H&K M27 to every Rifleman

Unread post by Arnie100 »

They can't see me...Right!?
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Re: USMC to issue H&K M27 to every Rifleman

Unread post by Jefffar »

Stat wise its little different from the M16 the Marines gave up a few years ago, though in real world terms it should be a much more reliable weapon, especially in an extended firefight.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
Rockwolf66
Hero

Unread post by Rockwolf66 »

So what if any advantage does it have over the previous issue M16A4? It's a heavier design and potentially less accurate due to the movement of the piston system. Just about the only thing it really has going for it other than the "cool factor" is that it runs slightly cooler when one rapidly shoots hundreds of rounds without stopping.

IMO they should have just started re-issuing the M16A4 to most line troops.
"Having met a few brits over here i wonder about them. The Military ones I met through my dad as a kid seem to be the most ruthless men on the planet..." -Steve Hobbs
RockJock
Knight

Unread post by RockJock »

The M27 has a full auto ability, and supposedly is more accurate than an M16A4 because of the free floating barrel and all.
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!
Rockwolf66
Hero

So instead of installing a free float fore end on the M16A4 and installing a FA trigger group the USMC is going with entirely new rifles? You can free float a M16/AR15 fore end for under $1,000. I see that the going price for a 416 upper is over $2,000 and complete rifles are mostly found over $3,000.

I've handled them and I know people who have personally shot them and the feedback is that the H&K M416 while it is a good rifle it's not as great as the pricetag indicates.
"Having met a few brits over here i wonder about them. The Military ones I met through my dad as a kid seem to be the most ruthless men on the planet..." -Steve Hobbs
RockJock
Knight

I'm not disagreeing with the ROI issue, just stating what I have read.

With the government who knows. The money to rebuild a rifle might be from one pocket where as the cash to buy a new rifle is from another. Heck, the money for regular carry rifle, accurized weapon, or auto fire weapon might all be from different buckets for all I know. Stupid, but it is the government we are talking about.
Rockwolf66
Hero

Yup and other's in the firearms community have made similar observations as myself. The Firearms Blog does give a great rundown as to why the M27 should not become standard issue but instead become a baseline for an improved rifle.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017/05/07/m27-iar-not-right-rifle-marine-corps/
RockJock
Knight

Good article RW. Now you just need to figure out how the government decides what to pay for. Good luck with that:).
Grey Death
Adventurer

Unread post by Grey Death »

Rockwolf66 wrote:I've handled them and I know people who have personally shot them and the feedback is that the H&K M416 while it is a good rifle it's not as great as the pricetag indicates.

Can be said about most H&K products that I've handled. YMMV
Hale Chidduck: Do you believe in karma?
Joe Sarno: Karma's justice without the satisfaction. I don't believe in justice.
Peacebringer
Adventurer

Unread post by Peacebringer »

Doesn't it state in the Zentraedi book that every Zentraedi soldier is issued a battle-pod? We're through the looking glass here...

Return to “Recon® & Recon® Modern Combat”