Natural Armor SDC

Ninja mutant creatures unite. Here's the place to do it.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Avigor
D-Bee

Natural Armor SDC

Unread post by Avigor »

Am I reading it right that the natural armor AR doesn't go away if/when the natural armor SDC is used up, and the only reason to track the SDC separate is for fringe rules like the Running skill where you damage yourself?
foilfodder
Explorer

Re: Natural Armor SDC

Unread post by foilfodder »

I am looking at page 10 of my 1994 edition of Heroes Unlimited which lists 3 types of A.R. in the game system:

- Body Armor (from equipment) wearer is damaged if roll is over A.R., otherwise armor is damaged. Armor destroyed when S.D.C depleted.

- Natural Armor (from mutant/super powers) character is damaged if total attack roll is over A.R., if not character takes no damage. Bonus S.D.C. is granted to character's total and heals at normal rate.

- Vehicle Armor (listed in vehicle entry) vehicle is damaged if attack is over A.R., otherwise vehicle takes o damage. Vehicle destroyed if all S.D.C. depleted.

The section on Natural A.R. does not mention if AR. is retained once character is out of S.DC. and begins sustaining hit point damage. I Didn't find anything in the F.A.Q. on armor viewtopic.php?p=1574327#p1574327

I am not sure about your question on "fringe rules"
Palladium System F.A.Q.s - viewforum.php?f=44
Find out you've been doing it wrong for years!
foilfodder
Explorer

Re: Natural Armor SDC

Unread post by foilfodder »

I found a post from 20+ years ago with a reply from drewkitty saying A.R. goes away, citing Heroes Unlmited 2 rulebook but not listing a page number. I don't have that book, but I am including a quote of the post chain and a link to the thread. https://palladium-megaverse.com/forums/ ... 8&t=137789

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
Teaching Time: for those Rifters who do not know what AR is...
(Excluding the above peeps who sound like they know what they are talking about.)

There are Three types of Armor Ratings, all of them only effect how SD attacks effect the target.

Armor Rating: the attack has to roll over the AR score to by-pass the armor. Otherwise the attack hit the armor.
Natural AR: this is when a being (sentient or animal) has a "tough skin" or shells or scales. The attack roll has to be over the NAR score to damage the armor. Otherwise the attack 'bounces' off the NAR. Unlike armor with the normal AR, the NAR armor can not be by-passed to hit the being HP till all the beings SDC is gone.
Robotic AR: this robotic vehicle AR and works almost exactly like Nat AR in that attacks lower then the Rob. AR score just 'bounce off'. And that the Armor can not be by-passed till all the SDC of the armor is gone.

Three notes:
1) Palladium Book writers are HORRIBLE at stating which of these three AR's they are talking about in their text. But generally speaking if it is ancient body armor it is normal AR, if it is the being being talked about it is Nat. AR, and if it is a robot vehicle then it is Rob.AR.
2) AR and MD: When the attacks vs the armor is MD, the AR of the armor is ignored, striking the armor till it is depleated.
3) When a Nat. AR or Rob. AR has a score of 4, then the attacks ether hit the armor and do damage or they miss and do no damage. This is how Force Fields work.

dragonfett wrote
Where are the rules for Natural AR and Robotic AR? I thought Natural AR was creatures and any roll under the AR did no damage to it and any roll above the AR did damage to the creature under attack.

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
In the SDC settings. In the HU2 main book the details from Nat. AR are listed in the combat section in the AR section in it's own sub heading.
Palladium System F.A.Q.s - viewforum.php?f=44
Find out you've been doing it wrong for years!

Return to “After the Bomb® RPG & TMNT®”