Doomsday Preppers

10101010: Site is secure. Move on to the next, secure and deactivate. Await further orders from Swarmlord.
2009: Let the Hunt Begin.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Trooper Jim
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: Huh! What? There was homework???

Doomsday Preppers

Unread post by Trooper Jim »

This a new show on Nat Geo. Did anyone catch it? If so what do you think?
Dustin Fireblade
Knight

Re: Doomsday Preppers

Unread post by Dustin Fireblade »

I saw it. Didn't think too much of it to be honest. The pilot episode from last year I thought was better.

The first family, making their home out of shipping containers? Ok I don't have a problem with that. Building the entire compound out of them though, and THEN doing a "ballistics" test after they were all done building seemed pretty stupid. Wouldn't you have done that before you built your home?

The "urban girl" was one of the better ones - she at least admitted she didn't know a lot. Obviously dressing the way she did and walking through bad neighborhoods wasn't a very smart choice. All the training she did wasn't worth much if you don't train with your gear.

The "cook" was also one of the better ones. Her personality just bothered me for some reason though.

The heavy set guy with all the health problems? Dude get yourself healthy, THEN start prepping.

"Doris Day" seemed to be living in a fantasy world. She doesn't believe in guns. Good thing she's got a buddy who will welcome the raiders in, offer them food and "convert" them or some such. If that doesn't work he plans to poison them or 'slit their throat' while they sleep.

The last guy with the large family seemed ok. I may have missed it, but I would be cross-training some family members.
Zamion138
Hero

Unread post by Zamion138 »

Always thought sharing your preps on national telvision is real bad for op-sec, And preping and not having a least one or two weapons is just basicly stocking up for some one else, cuase your just gonna get rolled over and either left alive and with nothing or dead with nothing.
Trooper Jim
Dungeon Crawler

I agree with both of you. I thought the Urban Girls plan was kind of half assed. The cargo container family was interesting. I liked that they secondary "bug out" locations. And keeping preps on the busses was a good idea. The "Urban hippy guy" had some good ideas, though I am not sure i would bug in in an major urban area with no firearms. Although he is limited by the state, as to whwt is legal firearms wise.
Zamion138
Hero

Trooper Jim wrote:I agree with both of you. I thought the Urban Girls plan was kind of half assed. The cargo container family was interesting. I liked that they secondary "bug out" locations. And keeping preps on the busses was a good idea. The "Urban hippy guy" had some good ideas, though I am not sure i would bug in in an major urban area with no firearms. Although he is limited by the state, as to whwt is legal firearms wise.

Even in anti gun California you can own a pump shotgun,pistol that holds 10+1, and any rifle that cant take high capacity mags....cept a .50bmg. Just for defense and geting food on the table or scaring birds off your crops. Even if you dont plan or dream of keeping yourself safe a gun is a tool as much as a shovel or rake.
Trooper Jim
Dungeon Crawler

Zamion138 wrote:
Trooper Jim wrote:I agree with both of you. I thought the Urban Girls plan was kind of half assed. The cargo container family was interesting. I liked that they secondary "bug out" locations. And keeping preps on the busses was a good idea. The "Urban hippy guy" had some good ideas, though I am not sure i would bug in in an major urban area with no firearms. Although he is limited by the state, as to whwt is legal firearms wise.

Even in anti gun California you can own a pump shotgun,pistol that holds 10+1, and any rifle that cant take high capacity mags....cept a .50bmg. Just for defense and geting food on the table or scaring birds off your crops. Even if you dont plan or dream of keeping yourself safe a gun is a tool as much as a shovel or rake.

Amen, i agree 100%. I am very much pro 2nd Amendment, and i own a few firearms. And i have and use my CCW permit often.
Zamion138
Hero

Dustin Fireblade wrote:I saw it. Didn't think too much of it to be honest. The pilot episode from last year I thought was better.

"Doris Day" seemed to be living in a fantasy world. She doesn't believe in guns. Good thing she's got a buddy who will welcome the raiders in, offer them food and "convert" them or some such. If that doesn't work he plans to poison them or 'slit their throat' while they sleep.

I personaly think slitting a throat is much harder core than shooting someone and more damaging to your psyche and would stay with you alot longer.
Trooper Jim
Dungeon Crawler

Zamion138 wrote:
Dustin Fireblade wrote:I saw it. Didn't think too much of it to be honest. The pilot episode from last year I thought was better.

I personaly think slitting a throat is much harder core than shooting someone and more damaging to your psyche and would stay with you alot longer.

Yea the guy that made that statement looked like a budding psycopath.
Zamion138
Hero

Is the show streaming anywhere?
Dustin Fireblade
Knight

Unread post by Dustin Fireblade »

Zamion138 wrote:Is the show streaming anywhere?

I haven't been able to find it.
Trooper Jim
Dungeon Crawler

Have you tried the Nat Geo website? I know they have some material for the show up.
Peacebringer
Adventurer

Unread post by Peacebringer »

I saw an episode where I guy shot his thumb of and I thought, "Yup, the zombies are going to get that guy".

Guns, in a Doomsdayish scenario, aren't for hunting game: unless you're a nature-survivalist, if you shot a squirrel, how would you know how to clean it and prepare it? In our modern-society of grocery stores and refrigeration, most people won't know that. So, guns are for hunting: they're for use against other people. Sure, you may be prepared for the apocalypse, but your neighbors are probably not. They're to protect the prepared against the unprepared. Or, if you're not a prepper, you can use your guns to take food from that lady that doesn't believe in guns.

Note: also, having a gun alone won't mean survival; in the long run, the guy that can manage, organize and influence others, will have a better chance of survival vs. the loner with the stockpile of arms. Being able to work together and utilize skills that one may not possess is key for survival. What happens to the preppers if they get wounded or sick? If they have an accident and break a bone, there's no other people to help them.

Return to “Systems Failure™”