Umm...

10101010: Site is secure. Move on to the next, secure and deactivate. Await further orders from Swarmlord.
2009: Let the Hunt Begin.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Re: Umm...

Unread post by Library Ogre »

About 1999, Palladium came out with a post-apocalyptic RPG based on the Y2K bug... only, instead of a computer glitch causing things to shut down, the entire world was invaded by energy-based alien bugs.

It's fun and can be played deadly serious or light-hearted.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Steeler49er
Hero
Comment: AKA-"Steeler49er"

Steeler49er is to the BOARDS, what C.J. Carella and Jhonen Vasquez are to RPG's & Underground Comics. You know! BIG FAT NUCLEAR DA-BOMBS!"

Unread post by Steeler49er »

It's a pretty deep hard core game If (like Mark hints at) you've got the right GM.
I like it for single short runn games... Problem is, the players Never wanna Stop playing it cuz "It's so fun".

Like Mark said, The year was Dec 31st at 11:59 in the year 1999, every one was getting ready to Par'Teh as soon as it hit 12:00, Most everyone considered the Y2K bug to be a joke... Then every form of tech started going down... Then the screams started coming... Then everywhere it all went silent!

The 'Bugs' were giant sized Insectoid like energy vampires that had been waiting to make their move. They waited for the Ley Line energies to rise at midnight (a mix of celebration and mana) and they punctured the dimensional wall. Being creatures of pure energy they could Only exist inside of a conductive medium like the world wide com-lines which is the inter-net. The creatures Need energy to live and began to wipe the human race out. The creatures were once Insects that evolved on a planet, they evolved into energy absorbing creatures to survive and in time evolved so far that they began to jumping to other worlds when some of them realized that ley lines were made up of energy. Now they've evolved even further into sentiant beings and are a never ending threat to worlds that they fall upon... This earth is next on the list.

It can be a Vary horrifing game when played right. World wide communication is down and under the Insects control, All conductive mediums and phone/power lines are ways for the bugs to get in and start eatting humans (bio-electrical food), men , women, and children and worse is to be enslaved in power plants as Brain Worm Zombies. No where in city is safe, and even small towns are traps... The Only people safe were the Survivalists, and now they rules the shattered world! Snow covered ground in winter, little food, not being able to trust your fellow man just in case they are Zombie spies or criminal parasites. No blankets, no heat and every sound in the Dead of night could be the bugs coming for you... And the Night Is dead as the city lights are off, and the sky is cloudy.

You wife died a few weeks back when you were hidding in a small house because, for One brief moment in time, she didn't think and her right hand reached out in the dark for the kitchen light switch! You ran with you son and now your hidding in an underground cellar in an old abandon house in a feild somewhere, in the dark and trying not to breath to loud so that no one can here you. Your son feel a sleep 5 days ago and awoke in a scream... In the morning you noticed that his nose had been bleeding and that he was acting strange.
So you began to cry "Oh no, not you... Not you Oh *## not you!"
With that your son uttered to you "It's okay father, I'm alright... Everything will be alright, if you just join us! Mommy is here with me, with us, with all of us... You can't run".

You knew she was dead, you just never told your son what happened... Now your alone in the universe, and your getting tired!
I'm s, suh... soh...c..c...coldt..t...t...
I'll just sleepp...p...p....Nnn..owwhhh..h.
And with that, you final tear turns to crystal on your face... And you sleep.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________RATTZ
"it's okay daddy, Mommy is here with me, with us, with all of us..."
Image...."SMILE YOU S.O.B"....Image

Problem is I used Placebos "Running Up that Hill" to get Catherine Wheels "Black Metallic" to get Monorals "KIRI" to get Dan Balans "Crazy Loop" out of my head in the first place.
Dustin Fireblade
Knight

Unread post by Dustin Fireblade »

I posted this a little over a year ago in another thread -

I honestly think if I had to pick just one Palladium game, this would be it. It's a fun, quick, compact game. Would be fantastic to use to introduce new players or for old gamer's just looking for a change of pace from whatever they normally play.

There's a couple of Rifter articles on it, three or four maybe that add some content.

Mike Taylor has a good expansion that we have at Nexus 9 as well -
http://www.nexusnine.net/doc/nb/index.html

Just using Systems Failure and the Compendium of Modern Weapons - you should be set with just those two books. Add in those Rifter articles for additional source material, you should be golden.

I would love to see Palladium come out with a "deluxe" version that has the SF book and the Rifter articles added in as a single .pdf for purchase.
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

gmapprentice wrote:i don't know how to open it... i click on the link, it goes to some website, i click the systems failure link and it needs some Open Office info i don't have.

Right click on the link and select "Save Target As:"
Save it to your desktop.
You should then be able to open it with whatever Word processing application that you have.
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
Peacebringer
Adventurer

Unread post by Peacebringer »

If I played or ran Systems Failure, I'd convert it to CP:2020. The old Robotech game system just reminds me of boredom for some odd reason.

At my local used book store, there's in RPG game about an Alien (Grays) Invasion of the World and it's aftermath, which I guess is similar to SF. I might get that book.
vika
Explorer

Unread post by vika »

Mark Hall wrote:About 1999, Palladium came out with a post-apocalyptic RPG based on the Y2K bug... only, instead of a computer glitch causing things to shut down, the entire world was invaded by energy-based alien bugs.

It's fun and can be played deadly serious or light-hearted.
Yep. Even both.
RockJock
Knight

Unread post by RockJock »

It also works well as a supplement book for HU and Chaos Earth. It gives lots of non-super, normal type Occs with a little extra.

I've even done a sort of A-Team type group out of it for HU.
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

I just picked up this game as an add-on to my HU2 material. Yee-Haw! :D
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

I think it is great. It gives SDC based splicer powers for one of the OCC types. It also has skills related to creating bio-organic tech.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

The only real glaring omission was the Robotics skills for the Robotics program, but since that is covered in HU2, it was not a big deal for me.
johnkretzer
Adventurer
Comment: Power gaming in Rifts is NOT hard or challenging. If you want to impress people with you power gaming skills try Toon

Unread post by johnkretzer »

Is this in print anymore I can't find in the Palladium Store. It sound really cool and would be a fun read.
Shawn Merrow
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: For the glory of Zeon and Zerebus, Sieg Zeon!

2D6 Palladium Forum History Geek Points

Unread post by Shawn Merrow »

Bad news its out of print. :cry:

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection
johnkretzer
Adventurer
Comment: Power gaming in Rifts is NOT hard or challenging. If you want to impress people with you power gaming skills try Toon

Logus Vile wrote:
Shawn Merrow wrote:Bad news its out of print. :cry:

I bought a mint condition copy about a month ago from noble knight games http://www.nobleknight.com/ but after that I also saw a copy at http://www.leisuregames.com/.

GMed SF for the first time last weekend... I had a great time as, I think, did my players!

Yeah I know about nobleknight games (I have dealt with them before) but they didn't have it....
Neither did the other site :(
johnkretzer
Adventurer

Logus Vile wrote:
johnkretzer wrote:Yeah I know about nobleknight games (I have dealt with them before) but they didn't have it....
Neither did the other site :(

weird...
it's right here: http://www.leisuregames.com/cgi-bin/sh000002.pl?REFPAGE=http%3a%2f%2fwww%2eleisuregames%2ecom%2f&WD=palladium&SHOP=%20&PN=Main_Catalogue_System_Failure_RPG__Palladium_Books__412%2ehtml%23a12901#a12901

It wasn't there when I looked at the time...or maybe their search engine is not that good...or I mistyped something shrug..

Is there way on the site to convert the cost to USA dollars...?
Hendrik
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: What is genius? A Victim OCC (BtS 1st ed, p. 193 ss)! The ultimate hero is a victim conquering adversity.

Unread post by Hendrik »

Hi there,

it is not in print anymore, but as said, it can be more or less easily got used. I think it is well worth it.

I think Pally should publish it via Drivethru!

Cheers
Hendrik
Handouts for Operation Minotaur (BtS Adventure published in RIFTER #83) Get them at the fabulous "House of BtS"![/quote]

May all your hits be crits!

Return to “Systems Failure™”