my final collection numbers..

Use this area to ask questions and provide tips for assembling Robotech RPG Tactics™ mini's as well terrain sculpting.

Moderators: Phaze, Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

my final collection numbers..

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

after getting what i could from the refund package deal, i decided to make a tally of all the figures i can build using the sets i have.. so i can start figuring out what mix of variants to assemble when i start assembling my own collection. (currently trying to finish my twin brother's half of the showdown order.. he's a great painter, but so-so on assembly)

all told, i have:

Zents: 57 figures
4 Officer's pod
4 Recovery Pod
4 Recon pod
36 Battlepod
8 Artillery Pod*
1 Male PA/Grell

UEDF: 82 figures
8 Tomahawk
8 Defender
8 Spartan
8 Phalanx
16 Valkyrie Fighter
16 Valkyrie Guardian
18 Valkyrie Battloid
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Morgan Vening
Dungeon Crawler

Re: my final collection numbers..

Unread post by Morgan Vening »

glitterboy2098 wrote:after getting what i could from the refund package deal, i decided to make a tally of all the figures i can build using the sets i have.. so i can start figuring out what mix of variants to assemble when i start assembling my own collection. (currently trying to finish my twin brother's half of the showdown order.. he's a great painter, but so-so on assembly)

all told, i have:

8 Artillery Pod*

It's probably too late to get (and I will admit, I've got no idea if they're actually useful in the game), but another 4 allows the building of two Squadron cards. An eye on the online retailers or Ebay might allow you to get one cheap?

Kinda surprised that PB went for 4, when the two Zentradi options are 2 and 6. Malcontents have the option of 4 (and 2 Defenders), but I'm not sure that was the reason.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

well i suspect the price of a 6 pack of them would have been prohibitive. and since you can take multiple copies of the 2-pod reinforcements to the core battlepod forces, it kinda works out.

but yeah, if i get a job i recently applied to, i'll probably be grabbing an extra pack of arty pods and some more regular battlepods while the prices are still semi-reasonable. (i devoted most of my refund package to UEDF stuff because i figured those would see the biggest price inflation.. and because i can actually use the UEDF mecha in my Battletech/Alpha Strike Games as well. (one reason i expect the prices to balloon fast.)
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

i guess i should plan out my forces, so i can be sure to build enough of the right variants, and start my world building (because i like doing that, and it'll let me decide how i want to customize)

i do have some non-robotech 28mm figures i might repurpose as Zent Infantry eventually (i have a starter box for the old Starship Troopers Miniatures game, the Cap-troopers look kinda like Zent infantry armor), and i've been looking at shapeways for some extra Nousjadeulger figures so build at a proper three man unit for my Grell, but right now i don;t have the budget for that, or the desire to dig out the OOP SST figures either, so i'll stick to planning around my existing stuff.

i'm not going to worry too much about points and such, though i will track the base points for curiosities sake.

now i could just do a trio of Attrition squadrons for the zents, but that seems a bit.. plain. and would prevent me from using the full potential of the 4x Gluags. so what i'm thinking is;

Attrition Squadron Alpha - 70pts - 115pts total
- 12x Regult battle pod
*Quel-Gulnau Support Squad - 10pts
- 1x Quel-Gulnau Recovery Pod
*Quel-Regult Support Squad - 15pts
- 1x Quel-Regult recon Pod
*Gluag Special Squad - 20pts
- 1x Gluag Officers Pod

Attack Squadron Beta - 70pts - 130pts total
- 9x Regult battle pods
- 1x Gluag Officers Pod
*Regult Support Squad - 35pts
- 6x Regult battle pods

Attack Squadron Delta - 70pts - 95pts total
- 9x Regult battle pods
- 1x Gluag Officers Pod

Artillery Squadron Gamma - 90pts - 140pts total
- 4x Gluuhaug-Regult Light Artillery Pod
- 2x Serauhaug-Regult Heavy Artillery Pod
*Telnesta-Regult Support Squad - 15pts
- 2x Telnesta-Regult Cannon artillery pods
*Gluag Special Squad - 20pts
- 1x Gluag Officers Pod

480 pts total, before upgrades. this leaves me with a recovery pod unused, but ensures the full use of everything else. i'll probably try to magnetize the artillery pods so i can switch between the missile and cannon loadouts. if i can get another box of arty pods, they'll form "Artillery Squadron Kappa" and Gamma will lose its cannon pods.

Edit: DOH.. the Gluag special support card says you can add a Gluag to a unit that does not already have one.. so one Gluag per core squadron. looks like the Artillery pods get some Command love, and i have room to use all my recon pods.
Last edited by glitterboy2098 on Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

a quick check of my Starship troopers box set, and it gives two squads of 8 Mobile Infantry (16 total), but it looks like there are a few boxes of that old game (which is also OOP) floating around on ebay, some at decent prices, so might grab one so i could field 24 Zent heavy infantry. (heavy infantry so that i can source less armored figures from like 40K or something as the light infantry. i have an old Imperial Guard type army made from 3rd party figures that might suffice)

i found a shapeways seller of Nousjadeul-Ger in the right scale, though i'm not sure they are pose-able. i also found a sellter selling a boosters+radome kit in 1/285th for a VE-1, might be useable to make a VEF-1. (also found a seller with Logans. cool.)

edit.: actually i just thought of an even cheaper option for radomes.. the Tamiya 1/350th scale E-2 Hawkeye kits, which can be found on Amazon. they're meant for accessorizing 1/350th scale aircraft carrier kits, but a 57ft long plane at 1/350th scale ought to put their Radome's close enough to work for a 46ft long VF in 1/285th. and at 6 planes for $10, you can get plenty of Radomes cheap. plus without Radomes, the aircraft just become C-2 Greyhound cargo transports.. useful for scenery or as flying mobile objectives.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

i found a place where i can get more of the Starship troopers figures at a decent price.. well, metal not plastic, but without the inflated prices found on ebay.
i'm not gonna link to it because i figure that if i do, a bunch of people will descend on it, buy out their backstock, and i'll be out of luck before i can afford to grab the set(s?) i need to build a decent sized force of the infantry.
(not trying to be mean, but since the SST is OOP, this site has to be working off stockpiled sets to be able to charge the original prices. and with no way to know how much they have in stock, i don't want to risk a run on the figures.. if you really want/need some zent infantry and want to consider these figures, PM me about it and i'll share the link there.)

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

having worked out my UEDF and zent forces, my UEDF forces with minimal upgrades (just GU-11's for the spartans, burst munitions for the Defenders, command destroids and the Vf nose lasers), i have about 980 some points. call it 1000 if i tweak a few units and toss in a few named characters.

sadly my zentraedi forces are nowhere near as large, sitting at about 610 points, and that is using veteran pilots for everything that can take them. (it also includes the 12 man squad of heavy infantry i can proxy)
i am currently looking around for more artillery and battle pods i can get semi-cheap to bulk the zent's up. though i'll probably need to use a lot of named chars for them anyway.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
The Icedman
Newb

Unread post by The Icedman »

Nice; I'll have to count mine up and see what I can build.

Return to “Robotech RPG Tactics™ - Modelling & Terrain”