Gravity Bombs

Use this area to ask questions and provide tips for assembling Robotech RPG Tactics™ mini's as well terrain sculpting.

Moderators: Phaze, Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

AvakDarkstar
D-Bee

Gravity Bombs

Unread post by AvakDarkstar »

Hey guys, new member here, I just bought into the game early this month, and really enjoying the modeling aspect so far. As the title says, the subject is gravity bombs. My Google Fu is weak and I have not been able to find a picture of what they look like. Anyone here have any clue? I am interested in adding a valk. squad armed with them and had considered subbing long range missiles for them model wise.
However, I have a squadron already equipped with long range missiles and would prefer to keep it wysiwyg in order to keep down on confusion. Anyone here have any clue as to what a gravity bomb looks like? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Re: Gravity Bombs

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

'gravity bomb' is a term used to refer to unguided bombs. sometimes also called 'iron bombs'.*
if you google "general purpose bomb" you'll find pictures of real world ones.
like this one of 500lbs bombs: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4099/489 ... 972d_b.jpg

the Sprue does not have Bombs on it.. you have the option of just painting the LRM or MRM's in a color to make them seem more like bombs than missiles if you dont want to convert.

if your willing to spend a little extra on the figures and use another company's product, you could look for microarmor (6mm or 1/285th scale) aircraft weapons kits, like that made by GHQ, which usually have racks of bombs for modern aircraft, meant to accessorize their 1/285th scale aircraft.
like this one (GHQ stock # AC28, NATO weapons ) : http://www.ghqmodels.com/store/media/m-images/AC28.jpg (which also gives you examples of sidewinders, Sparrows, and other real world aircraft weapons, fun for converting if your not looking for WYSIWYG.)**

*he reason they refer to them as gravity bombs is because where they hit is a combination of the aircraft's motion and the pull of gravity. it's also to separate them from glide bombs (bombs with strap on wings that let them glide some distance)

** personally i'm not a big believer in WYSIWYG for RTT.. the main visual differences between types of mecha and the loadouts are such small details (like the head shape) that at normal play distances, you won't really see them. things like paint schemes will matter more for telling figures apart than whether it has a -1J head or which tiny missiles it has under its wings. at least IMO. if people want to follow WYSIWYG, i don;t mind, but i'd rather accept that at the scale in use the small details like heads and missiles barely matter, and have the freedom to customize my wing loadouts to what i think looks good. (personally i'm going to be scratch building up a MRM/LRM mix, with adjustments for 2 LRM's per hardpoint, as per the RPG)
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
AvakDarkstar
D-Bee

Re: Gravity Bombs

Unread post by AvakDarkstar »

Thank you for the very informative response. It never occurred to me the gravity bomb just meant that it was a freefall bomb. I was thinking they were just trying to give it a cool sci fi sounding name. Well, looks like I will be checking the internet for a third party supplier for add on ordinance packs.

Return to “Robotech RPG Tactics™ - Modelling & Terrain”