Favorite Shotgun

1'st edition, Deluxe Revised. Military strategies are the thing to discuss here. Oh yeah and how much damage that land mine will do.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Rockwolf66
Hero

Favorite Shotgun

Unread post by Rockwolf66 »

I am Beating Grey Death to the punch.

What is your favorite shotgun and why? What load do you usually use in it?

My favorite shotgun is a Mossberg M-500, as I already own one and know it well. The one Shotgun that could replace it is the Mossberg M-590A1, the full fledged military version.

I usualy load it with either Seller& Bellot 00 Buck(12 pellets insted of the usual 9) or Olin/Winchester slugs. I do have some less-lethal rounds and I collect exotic shotgun rounds for fun.
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

I've always be a fan of the Saiga guns.

The Baikal pump/semi with two magazines is a really interesting beast as well.

Unfortunately I've not had the pleasure with any other than my granddad's old browning 12 ga pump when I was really too scrawny to properly absorb the recoil.

It was a cool looking bruise for a while.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
GhostKnight
Adventurer

Unread post by GhostKnight »

Benelli M4. Doesn't jam and the chamber doesn't get nearly as dirty from soot as many other shotguns do.
Recovery? Only for the rich and 20 counties.
Anti-Nuclear = Anti-Salmon
PC = Patronizing Cretin
The World Clock
Real Economic Statistics
Grey Death
Adventurer

Unread post by Grey Death »

Remmington 870 in 12gauge. I personally think that it is the classic american shotgun. I find it reliable and easy to handle. But I suppose that could be said of most pump shotguns. I keep mine loaded with 12gauge 3 inch 00 buck shells. For those unexpected visitors.
Hale Chidduck: Do you believe in karma?
Joe Sarno: Karma's justice without the satisfaction. I don't believe in justice.
Grey Death
Adventurer

Unread post by Grey Death »

Mydnyte_Son wrote:I know that by honestly answering this question I will draw fire from the bigger is better crowd but here it is.

For home defense I use a Mossberg 500 pump action .410 The Sellier and Bellot 3" shells hold five 00 pellets and the improved cylinder bore choke holds them to about and inch out to 10yards. The recoil is only around 7 or 8 lbs so the follow up shot is near instant. ghost ring sights make for a very fast image aquisition and the sure fire light on the front grip is a weapon in itself really. It holds eight rounds in the tube and another eight rounds on the stock. It is light fast and even my children can manage it (and they are trained in its use BTW) The longest shot within my home is just under 40feet so the lethality of the weapon is more than adequate and I dont need to worry about shooting through my neighbor's walls.

There it is ... begin the flaming

I dont think its a bad choice at all. As I stated in another thread. I considered getting a Winchester 9410. Which is a model 94 lever action chambered for .410 shotgun shells. I think it would be a great home defense gun. Not to mention hell on wheels for small game.
Hale Chidduck: Do you believe in karma?
Joe Sarno: Karma's justice without the satisfaction. I don't believe in justice.
GhostKnight
Adventurer

If you're going for a 410 then why not get the Taraus 410 revolver?
PC = Patronizing Cretin
The World Clock
Real Economic Statistics
GhostKnight
Adventurer

The spread has been demonstrated to be 18 inches at 10 yards.

The rest... well, I worked in Portland for 10 months. I feel for ya.
PC = Patronizing Cretin
The World Clock
Real Economic Statistics
demos606
Hero

Unread post by demos606 »

All I can really comment on from a defense standpoint is the Mossberg 590 since thats pretty much all the shotgun the military sees when it sees a shotgun. I'm also going to admit my prefered ammo isn'y much good for home defense since I prefer the solid slug. I've always had issues with the effective kill ranges of shotguns so they tend to fall to weapon of last resort status for me.
What a cruel thing is war: to separate and destroy families and friends, and mar the purest joys and happiness God has granted us in this world; to fill our hearts with hatred instead of love for our neighbors, and to devastate the fair face of this beautiful world. - R E Lee
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. - G Orwell
Rockwolf66
Hero

Unread post by Rockwolf66 »

Willis P. Dunlevey wrote:ever since I was a kid I always wanted a 1100 rhodesian special.. a winchester 12 guage with extended magazine (11 rds), long barrel, and select fire.... I saw a video of one being used by a rhodesian security guard in the mid 1970s

it sounds like a Remington 7188 knockoff. The US Navy experimented with the 7188( a factory conversion of the Remington 1100 to selective fire) and while the 420 round per minute rate of fire was impressive. What the Navy SEALs who carried it found out that it was heavier than the Ithaca 37's that they carried. The rate of fire ate shell at a rate that made it impossible to have enough ammo. Lastly they found that the shotgun would not work for very long in the Delta region.

Funny thing is that while a 12 gauge has the same amount of recoil as a .375 Holland & Holland elephant rifle those who used the 7188 did not complain about the recoil.

Still if I was looking at a selective fire shotgun the MPS AA-12 looks to be a better solution.

Return to “Recon® & Recon® Modern Combat”