Artillery Battle Pods

For all talk related to Robotech RPG Tactics™. A strategic, tactical board game brought to you by Palladium Books®, Ninja Division® and Harmony Gold®

Moderators: Phaze, Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Artillery Battle Pods

Unread post by Warshield73 »

When I receive my pledge I will receive 8 Artillery Battle Pods, but it will come with the parts for
8 Light Artillery
8 Heavy Artillery
8 Experimental Particle Beam

Now I have no experience putting together minis like these so for those of you that do shouldn't it be possible to take regular Battle Pods and simple put the extra Artilleryparts on them to create all 24?

Any ideas on this would be appreciated.
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
NMI
OLD ONE

Re: Artillery Battle Pods

Unread post by NMI »

It is probably coming with the base framework/bodies and then the extra weapon limbs/attachments. Therefore you will have
8 "generic" frames
and 8 sets of light, heavy and experimental weapons to mix/match to your desire.
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
rosco60559
Explorer

Unread post by rosco60559 »

magnets will be your friend, it'll just take a little practice
Phaze
Megaversal® Ambassador Coordinator
Comment: Pirate Wisdom:
Rum is a journey, and a destination.

Unread post by Phaze »

While I am not 100% sure,

But looking at the frames for the Pods from the progress photos, they are generic. So I would assume that you would get your arty pods as generic pods with a frame for the artillery bits. How many bits you recieve I am a little unsure, but if you can choose to make 8 of one of the types, then you would be able to take other basic pods and convert 16 of them using the remaining bits from the arty sprues, creating a total of 24 arty pods (8 of each type).

Man, can I over explain things... :P
I'll still enjoy watching you get blown off the table while you stare in helpless wonder at Phaze's marching legions of colored perfection. -- Godsgopher
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Thanks NMI & rosco. Never worked on stuff like this before so trying to get some ideas what I might be able to do.
Phaze wrote:While I am not 100% sure,

But looking at the frames for the Pods from the progress photos, they are generic. So I would assume that you would get your arty pods as generic pods with a frame for the artillery bits. How many bits you recieve I am a little unsure, but if you can choose to make 8 of one of the types, then you would be able to take other basic pods and convert 16 of them using the remaining bits from the arty sprues, creating a total of 24 arty pods (8 of each type).

Man, can I over explain things... :P

Phaze, not over explained really good info and kind of what I was thinking.

Given the rules I have seen I should only need 4 light, 2 heavy and 2 particle beam artillery pods for most potential games but I like the idea of being able to use the extra pieces in the future, especially considering how many regular regult battle pods I am getting (48).
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Jorel
Champion
Comment: I'm a Derrik, Derriks don't run.

Unread post by Jorel »

It really depends on the designs of the attached points to know how much modding will be needed. We'd have to see the sprues to know that.
Customer Service Director for Northern Gun

"The Devil's among us!
Stay back boy!...This calls for Divine Intervention!
I kick arse for the Lord!"
-Father McGruder- Braindead (a.k.a. Dead Alive)
Jorel
Champion

Unread post by Jorel »

I don't think we have seen the arty pod sprue.

"The Devil's among us!
Kendachi
Wanderer

Unread post by Kendachi »

Actually, we have:

http://palladiumbooks.com/cuttingroom/O ... 173318.jpg

It appears to come with all three of the weapons and one pod.

Its from update #138. So yeah, magnets all up in this Arty Pod! :)
"If a question is not asked, then how can it be ignored?" - NMI

“No question is so difficult to answer as that to which the answer is obvious.” - George Bernard Shaw

"Robotech RPG Tactics, the game, will be at Gen Con. For sale. In quantity. There's not much question about that." - Wayne
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

also looks like it is using the same scuplt of the body as the standard pod, so you should be able to modularize those with little extra work.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Jorel
Champion

Unread post by Jorel »

thanks for that. still not seeing exactly where they attach, but I'll take a closer look later.

"The Devil's among us!
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador

Jorel wrote:thanks for that. still not seeing exactly where they attach, but I'll take a closer look later.

I noticed that too. We see the front of the pod but not the back. Still you should just be able to replace the rear cannon on the standard Regult with the extra artillery parts.
Kendachi
Wanderer

Warshield73 wrote:
Jorel wrote:thanks for that. still not seeing exactly where they attach, but I'll take a closer look later.

I noticed that too. We see the front of the pod but not the back. Still you should just be able to replace the rear cannon on the standard Regult with the extra artillery parts.

Really? I believe the back of the pod is in the upper left corner, one type of attachment for the guns to the left of the twin heavy particle cannons, and the one for the missile launchers right above the front of the body. I don't have it in my hands, but I feel confident with my guesses.

Many years of 40k, maybe. :D

“No question is so difficult to answer as that to which the answer is obvious.” - George Bernard Shaw

"Robotech RPG Tactics, the game, will be at Gen Con. For sale. In quantity. There's not much question about that." - Wayne
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador

Kendachi wrote:
Warshield73 wrote:

Really? I believe the back of the pod is in the upper left corner, one type of attachment for the guns to the left of the twin heavy particle cannons, and the one for the missile launchers right above the front of the body. I don't have it in my hands, but I feel confident with my guesses.

Many years of 40k, maybe. :D

Not sure if we are talking about the same thing, I mean the part on the main body of the pod where the artillery pods connect, not the actual connections.

But looking at the sprue I am thinking that while it will have all the weapons themselves it will not have multiple connection arms, meaning it is unlikely or maybe just more difficult that you can turn a regular regult into an artillery pod.
Kendachi
Wanderer

Warshield73 wrote:Not sure if we are talking about the same thing, I mean the part on the main body of the pod where the artillery pods connect, not the actual connections.

But looking at the sprue I am thinking that while it will have all the weapons themselves it will not have multiple connection arms, meaning it is unlikely or maybe just more difficult that you can turn a regular regult into an artillery pod.

The mount for the cannons/missiles replaces the guns mounted on top of the pod, like the ones in this pic, I believe: http://palladiumbooks.com/cuttingroom/O ... 143821.jpg

So, I think it should be easy enough to magnetize.

glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

i think he was pointing out that they only provide a single strut for between the body and the pods, making you choose between SRm and LRm pods in building, making it tougher to go fully modular since you'll have to put connectors on the pods as well, not just where the turret thing meets the body.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador

glitterboy2098 wrote:i think he was pointing out that they only provide a single strut for between the body and the pods, making you choose between SRm and LRm pods in building, making it tougher to go fully modular since you'll have to put connectors on the pods as well, not just where the turret thing meets the body.

Exactly. Thank you for the correct term.
Kendachi
Wanderer

It looks like there's actually two mounts - one for the two missile types, one for the experimental particle cannons.

I think the missile pod connections actually look very promising for magnets, nice and flat and large-ish.

Maybe we'll know for sure soon... I wonder what happened to them putting one together?

:)

glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

magnets can be tricky on small perpendicular surfaces.. the pods are liable to 'droop' in unaesthetic ways.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Spinachcat
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Spinachcat »

glitterboy2098 wrote:magnets can be tricky on small perpendicular surfaces.. the pods are liable to 'droop' in unaesthetic ways.

I agree. I haven't see the magnet-thing work out well IRL at game tables, but I've seen some pro-pics that make it look like its possible. Perhaps there is some technique that needs to be addressed.

BTW, the extra bits and the sprues themselves are GREAT to combine into destroyed mecha parts to attach to terrain.
Mike1975
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Mike1975 »

Problem is the main body looks hollow so there might not be a good place to mount a magnet.
Morgan Vening
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Morgan Vening »

Mike1975 wrote:Problem is the main body looks hollow so there might not be a good place to mount a magnet.

That's why you put flex steel sheet on the interiors of the rocket pods, and insert the magnets into the solid crossbeam.

Flex steel is only 0.025" thick, so thin enough you don't need to counter-sink it. The weight of the pods isn't going to be enough for it to matter (though you might want to add a lock pin if you're worried about droop, and it's got the added advantage of not needing to give a crap about polarity (as only one side is magnetized).
Dirty Herby
D-Bee

Unread post by Dirty Herby »

It will require some pre-planning but I'm going to be using magnets to allow me to switch out the different weapon types. There are so many different sizes of rare earth magnets that it's almost impossible not to be able to do it. Like I said it's going to require some pre-planning to see what will and won't work.

Return to “Robotech RPG Tactics™”