Favorite Rifle

1'st edition, Deluxe Revised. Military strategies are the thing to discuss here. Oh yeah and how much damage that land mine will do.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

That's the catch - how to make it survive on the battlefield and not weigh 3 tonnes.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
Grey Death
Adventurer

Unread post by Grey Death »

Jefffar wrote:It looks like the rifle of the fture will be the following:

A light weight base model with a number of modular assemblies including:

Caliber changes from 5.56 to 7.62 with perhaps something in between

Barrel changes for configuration as a carbien or PDW out to designated marksman's weapon or heavy barrelled light machinegun

Customizable ergonomic fittings allowing for change for different sizzed users and different roles.

Sighting system attachements ranging from the telescoptic, to the night vision, to the thermal, with optional camera attachments.

A variety of other aiming aides including laser pointers, range finders and ballistic computers.

Attachable, repeating, explosive munition weapon - likely with an air burst capability if so programmed via the ballistic computer.

Attachable, repeating shotgun type weapon for firing door breaching or less than lethal rounds.

All of this with the goal of allowing each man in the rifle team to carry a different weapon, but have interchangable parts, magazines and features.

Overall it's a great idea, and within reach, though the repeating munition launcher has been difficult to get light enough.

Heck the military doesn't know what it wants. They had that the XM8. Which was modular. It had rifle/carbine, compact carbine, Sharpshooter, and squad auto configurations. 3 different color skins for the body to camo it. Accepted multiple sight and optic set ups. It rail to mount grenade launcher. Admitly it was only a single shot. But thats no worst than what we have now. I don't think there was a shotgun attachment. But with the proper ammo the GL could easily fill that role. It even had an electronic round counter. To keep track of ammo better in the heat of battle. And to be able to track wear and tear / maitenience on the rifle.
Hale Chidduck: Do you believe in karma?
Joe Sarno: Karma's justice without the satisfaction. I don't believe in justice.
lather
Champion

Unread post by lather »

In 1985 I read an article called "The 21st Century Soldier". A British company was working on the battle system for the individual soldier.

The visor - a full face shield - of the helmet was linked to the rifle via computer. The visor could also display other information from the computer. The computer looked to be at least twice the size of a field radio.

The rifle was an over-under configuration. THe top was 5.56 whiile the bottom was like a mini grenade launcher or something like that. It's been 20 years. I am amazed that I remember anything at all about the article.

That seems to be pretty much what we have today, except everything is much smaller.
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

I read the same ariticle. If I remember correctly the launcher/gun incorporated a laser rangefinder / designator and his back unit incorporated two vertical launching laser guided missiles.

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

psychophipps
D-Bee

Unread post by psychophipps »

And the foregrip of the XM8 also melted off during testing... :eek:
What killed the XM8 was the decision for all of the U.S. services to swap to a new assault rifle instead of just the Army. This created a new set of guidelines in that the selected weapon has to pass the requirements of all of the U.S. armed services so that it will be easier to resupply.
Well, that and the fact that FN already has the M16 contract and their new SCAR meets all the requirements, is cheaper than the XM8, can be easily modified to shoot 5.56mm NATO, 7.62mm NATO and 7.62mm x 39 Russian, and is already in use by USSOCOM.

A day late and a dollar short, my german friends...
Mark(psycho)Phipps( HAHAHA! )
Grey Death
Adventurer

psychophipps wrote:And the foregrip of the XM8 also melted off during testing... :eek:
What killed the XM8 was the decision for all of the U.S. services to swap to a new assault rifle instead of just the Army. This created a new set of guidelines in that the selected weapon has to pass the requirements of all of the U.S. armed services so that it will be easier to resupply.
Well, that and the fact that FN already has the M16 contract and their new SCAR meets all the requirements, is cheaper than the XM8, can be easily modified to shoot 5.56mm NATO, 7.62mm NATO and 7.62mm x 39 Russian, and is already in use by USSOCOM.

A day late and a dollar short, my german friends...
Mark(psycho)Phipps( HAHAHA! )

Didn't know that. The foregrip melting is pretty problematic. :eek: Have they decided on the SCAR as the replacement for the M-16? It was my understanding that it was just going to be used on a limited basis for special forces. Much like the Stoner 63 in the Vietnam era.
Joe Sarno: Karma's justice without the satisfaction. I don't believe in justice.
Jefffar
Supreme Being

Unread post by Jefffar »

So far SCAR is a SOCCOM only toy

demos606
Hero

Unread post by demos606 »

I've always been very partial to the 30-06, Garand and Browning .50. As to a solid favorite amongst the 3, really tough call and it would really depend on what/where I was shooting. Combat environment it's gotta be the Browning though, Garand simply doesn't have the HEAP ammo variety :(
What a cruel thing is war: to separate and destroy families and friends, and mar the purest joys and happiness God has granted us in this world; to fill our hearts with hatred instead of love for our neighbors, and to devastate the fair face of this beautiful world. - R E Lee
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. - G Orwell
Jefffar
Supreme Being

Unread post by Jefffar »

Jarhead, I didn't forget them, I just didn't specify them.

Demos, you do know htis is about favourite rifles right? Last time I checked the Browning 50 was a heavy machingun not a rifle.

GhostKnight
Adventurer

Unread post by GhostKnight »

Remington 700 BDL, 300 ultra mag, 25x scope, bipod. Sighted at 800m with 200 grain bullets.
Recovery? Only for the rich and 20 counties.
Anti-Nuclear = Anti-Salmon
PC = Patronizing Cretin
The World Clock
Real Economic Statistics
Jefffar
Supreme Being

Unread post by Jefffar »

In this country? Forget it. I'd need to make an extra couple of digits on my salary first.

maasenstodt
Adventurer

Unread post by maasenstodt »

After a lot of consideration, I'm in the process of purchasing my "homeland defense" rifle now. I decided upon a 16" Saiga AK chambered for .308. I wanted something compact given my urban environment, but I also wanted the ability to reach out if necessary as well as be effective against targets behind cover. While a 16" barrel isn't optimal for 7.62x51 ammunition, the combination still provides more energy than 5.56mm or even 7.62x39mm rifles.

I don't know if I can call it my favorite rifle yet (I guess that might be my .308 Enfield at present), but I'm sure looking forward to giving it every opportunity! :D
Rockwolf66
Hero

Unread post by Rockwolf66 »

CS Jarhead wrote:
maasenstodt wrote:After a lot of consideration, I'm in the process of purchasing my "homeland defense" rifle now. I decided upon a 16" Saiga AK chambered for .308. I wanted something compact given my urban environment, but I also wanted the ability to reach out if necessary as well as be effective against targets behind cover. While a 16" barrel isn't optimal for 7.62x51 ammunition, the combination still provides more energy than 5.56mm or even 7.62x39mm rifles.

I don't know if I can call it my favorite rifle yet (I guess that might be my .308 Enfield at present), but I'm sure looking forward to giving it every opportunity! :D

Whats the muzzle flash and gas in your face on those shorties in .308? I came to hate the shorty M249 SAW barrel in Iraq because of all the gas and debri it blew back in my face. Granted it is an automatic weapon. Watch out for over penetration in urban enviroments!

Based on the experiance of useing an M-1A(Semi-automatic M-14 clone) indoors I would have to say bad. Mind you that was without an SEI Vortex flash suppressor.
Grey Death
Adventurer

Rockwolf66 wrote:
CS Jarhead wrote:
maasenstodt wrote:After a lot of consideration, I'm in the process of purchasing my "homeland defense" rifle now. I decided upon a 16" Saiga AK chambered for .308. I wanted something compact given my urban environment, but I also wanted the ability to reach out if necessary as well as be effective against targets behind cover. While a 16" barrel isn't optimal for 7.62x51 ammunition, the combination still provides more energy than 5.56mm or even 7.62x39mm rifles.

Whats the muzzle flash and gas in your face on those shorties in .308? I came to hate the shorty M249 SAW barrel in Iraq because of all the gas and debri it blew back in my face. Granted it is an automatic weapon. Watch out for over penetration in urban enviroments!

Based on the experiance of useing an M-1A(Semi-automatic M-14 clone) indoors I would have to say bad. Mind you that was without an SEI Vortex flash suppressor.

My thoughts on the subject are this. If you intend on using this as a home defenese weapon. It would be a poor choice of caliber. There if far to large a risk of over penetration. You might end up going top jail with the criminal (assuming they survive) because you shot through the wall of your home, and the one next door. Killing or injuring a neighbor. Sounds far fetched but is more of a realistic possibility than you may think. IMO the best all round defensive weapon the normal american could possess. Is the 12 gauge shotgun. Ease of use, devastating fire power at close range, easy access to ammo through out america, are but a few of the advantages. True you wont be able to make a long shot at 200 yards. The realistic possiblity of that happening is slim. Most gun battles in the united states occur at less than 30 yards.
Rockwolf66
Hero

I do know of people who do use .308 or 7.62X51mm NATO rounds for self defence. Most of the time they use rounds designed for urban use. While Military M80 rounds do penatrate homes rather well, rounds like Hornady's TAP work well for home defence. Then I know of a man who has a very good reason to have an HK-91 and 150 rounds of Israeli AP ammo for self defence. Mind you some of the kids he teaches have rap sheets four feet high and are in for nice things like Attempted murder and possesion of Destructive devices( Bombs).
GhostKnight
Adventurer

Few sounds are as frightening as that of a 12 guage pump being chambered.

My wife works with drug addicts and psychotics. 2 large dogs, pepper spray in the pocket, a G36 for CC, and a 12 guage next to the bed work as last ditch deterents.
PC = Patronizing Cretin
The World Clock
Real Economic Statistics
Rockwolf66
Hero

GhostKnight wrote:Few sounds are as frightening as that of a 12 guage pump being chambered.

If you have been on both ends of a shotgun you realize that it's not quite true. Yes durring the initial cocking people have a flight or fight responce. People who are unfamiliar with firearms may flee, People who have experience with violent situations will have other reactions. Alot of experienced people find solid cover and engage the person with the shotgun.

To Quote the box of truth:
4. I "racked" the shotgun several times during the tests, and no bystanders lost control of their bowels.
Conclusion: Racking a shotgun will not make the bad guy faint.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot3.htm
GhostKnight
Adventurer

In discussions with ex-burglars (addicts), many of them mentioned running away from either dogs or shotguns. A serious gang banger may be taking cover... which is why I alternate load with BBs and slugs.
PC = Patronizing Cretin
The World Clock
Real Economic Statistics
Rockwolf66
Hero

I take it you don't get very many Meth heads in your area then.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Rockwolf66 wrote:To Quote the box of truth:
4. I "racked" the shotgun several times during the tests, and no bystanders lost control of their bowels.
Conclusion: Racking a shotgun will not make the bad guy faint.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot3.htm

1. Nice site! :ok:
2. Unless the bystanders were badguys, that's not really a great test.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
GhostKnight
Adventurer

Rockwolf66 wrote:I take it you don't get very many Meth heads in your area then.

Actually, we do. The majority of addicts use meth.
PC = Patronizing Cretin
The World Clock
Real Economic Statistics
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Ruger mini-14

to go bigger would be the Saiga .308

to go smaller remington .22
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Lord_Dalgard
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: CoH/CoV Global @Frontovik

Re: Favorite Rifle

Unread post by Lord_Dalgard »

Chello!

My favorite? My SVT 40.
Anthony N. Emmel
Proud Member of CLD 2.0
GM of the Guardians of the Polar Bear

"Those blast points are too precise for Pecos raiders. Only
Coalition Deadboys are that accurate."
--Unknown Cyber Knight in CS Lone Star.

+425 Movie Geek Points!
Rockwolf66
Hero

a friend of mine just got a FN SCAR 17S to go with his 16S. Due to my work schedule i haven't tested the 17S yet but I liked shooting the 16. Currently the plan is to replace the factory muzzlebreak(Flashbang anyone?) with a flash supressor that is Noise Supressor compatable.
"Having met a few brits over here i wonder about them. The Military ones I met through my dad as a kid seem to be the most ruthless men on the planet..." -Steve Hobbs
Trooper Jim
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: Huh! What? There was homework???

Unread post by Trooper Jim »

I currently have a AR15 configured lime a M4. It has an EoTech 512 holosight and MI forend rails. It is on sexy rifle and a real pleasure to shoot.

Return to “Recon® & Recon® Modern Combat”