A gritty list of powers?

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

thorr-kan
Adventurer

A gritty list of powers?

Unread post by thorr-kan »

I love me four-color superheroes as much as the next virtual being. But sometimes when I'm theorycrafting, I prefer something more grounded. The standard HU2 power list is not that list. I'm not certain how I'd pare it down at this point. But has anybody else done anything similar?

(I know, I know. Realism in a superheroes RPG is not the preferred genre. But I've got a few ideas for Rifter articles that won't fly in the usual genres.)
I have a blog; come see what I've created: https://thewhiteminotaur.wordpress.com/
-The 2024 Character Creation Challenge (#charactercreationchallenge):
https://thewhiteminotaur.wordpress.com/ ... challenge/
NMI
OLD ONE

Re: A gritty list of powers?

Unread post by NMI »

I am not sure I understand what you are looking for?
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
thorr-kan
Adventurer

NMI wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:05 pmI am not sure I understand what you are looking for?
Condensed version: has anybody tweaked to powers list to make to only include more "realistic" powers?

(Realistic in quotes, because this is, after all, a superhero game. But sometimes I like more realism. Having a healing factor and claws, albeit not Wolverine levels, might be possible to genegineer into a human; Dark Phoenix? Not so much.)
I have a blog; come see what I've created: https://thewhiteminotaur.wordpress.com/
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

It's pretty much up to each GM to decide what powers work for their flavor of game. What is "realistic" is pretty subjective based on perception of how the world works.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
fbdaury
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by fbdaury »

thorr-kan wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 4:56 pm
NMI wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:05 pmI am not sure I understand what you are looking for?
Condensed version: has anybody tweaked to powers list to make to only include more "realistic" powers?

(Realistic in quotes, because this is, after all, a superhero game. But sometimes I like more realism. Having a healing factor and claws, albeit not Wolverine levels, might be possible to genegineer into a human; Dark Phoenix? Not so much.)
One place to start is looking at nature - if a power (or a close approximation of it) exists in the natural world, then the likelihood (in a superhero game, even a gritty one) that it can be gene-engineered into a human is highly likely. Most of HU's powers ARE gritty, street-level. Remove about 10-15% of the total powers and you have a perfect "Street Sweepers" or Mystery Men game TBPH.
thorr-kan
Adventurer

fbdaury wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 6:03 amOne place to start is looking at nature - if a power (or a close approximation of it) exists in the natural world, then the likelihood (in a superhero game, even a gritty one) that it can be gene-engineered into a human is highly likely. Most of HU's powers ARE gritty, street-level. Remove about 10-15% of the total powers and you have a perfect "Street Sweepers" or Mystery Men game TBPH.
I think the percentage to remove is higher than that, but the idea of nature as a muse clarifies an idea I couldn't articulate before.

I'm starting to smell a Rifter article.
Incriptus
Hero
Comment: Hey, relaaaax. Pretend it's a game. Maybe it'll even be fun
Shoot the tubes, Dogmeat!

Unread post by Incriptus »

This might be similar to what you're thinking. Once upon a time I was looking at "powers" that could be mistaken for skills.
The number of asterisks next to the power represents how plausible it is. The more asterisks the more likely I would be to allow it.

*****Battle Rage: None of the bonuses are beyond what a normal albeit an exceptional person can do. [also the power sucks]
*****Extraordinary Intelligence: Plenty of historical examples let alone comic examples
*****Feral: The bonuses are nothing that an experience character can't match or surpass. I can see in a comic setting someone who lived the right lifestyle gaining this 'power'
*****Heightened Sense of Awareness: Sure similar reason to criminal intuition
*****Heightened Sense of Balance: Why not, he's just that good
*****Heightened Sense of Recall: Why not
*****Heightened Sense of time: Fine by me
*****Physical Perfection: Of course
*****Targeting: We can all name a half dozen normal humans in comics with this 'power'
****Animal Brother: While it would be odd and noteworthy. It doesn't have a mind control element to it. It's just a person who is well learned in the way of animals, and has a particular bond with one pet.
****Extraordinary Mental Endurance: Ditto above but more acceptable due to the inability to influence anyone else.
****Extraordinary Physical Beauty: I'd allow it, nothing really super human there. again depends how literally you take the charm/impress table.
****Impervious to Fear & Terror: Well we are all desensitized to a degree after all
****Iron Will: Indomitable spirit, sure
****Living Anatomy: A perception / knowledge based power, I’m cool with it
***Extraordinary Mental Affinity: It's pretty high up their but we don't really have a 'limit' to a person’s Mental Affinity. Depends on how literal you take the trust/intimidate table.
***Linguistics: Again the definition given makes it too supernatural, but as an extreme polyglot I can see it.
***Multitasking: While obviously incredible, I'm tempted to allow it as it doesn't influence anything outside the person doing it.
***Natural Combat Ability: Oddly enough if you leave out the ability to automatically copy the guy you're facing, the actual abilities of this power are not all that much greater than any other well trained/experienced martial artist/weapon master.
***Speed Tasking: Seems like something that could be learned by the truly dedicated
**Beast Master: Like animal brother, but closer to being "mind control" I would probably leave it off since animal brother is a nicer equivalent
**Book Worm: It's a little over done. Is it really significant to an extreme polyglot who's a talented speed reader . . . yeah there are a few other tricks,
**Criminal Intuition: Maybe. There are a lot of TV / Movie / Comic characters who have this type of super deduction right
**Extraordinary Physical Strength: Technically it's pushing it. I'm no expert but the lowest EX PS is 22. That’s carrying over a ton. . . and it's pretty easy to go up from there, but i'll leave it for now
**Extraordinary Physical Prowess: the autododge is steep. Now in comics it seems like the average person has an autododge though?
**Extraordinary Physical Endurance: again pushing it. Fatigue at 1/10 the normal rate. Then the 40-160 SDC makes you a bullet soaking machine
**Increased Durability: If I'll allow EX PE, I guess I'll allow this
**Lightning Reflex: See EX PP
*Heavy Weight: I shy away at the natural AR. It is fairly low, but still it means that a low rolling automatic weapon doesn't hurt him. Perhaps with a caveat
*Unnoteworthy: A little extreme especially with the literal definition of the power. Perhaps as a through master of disguise with an emphasis on averageness
Extraordinary Speed: No. It's just outside the realm of human ability

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”