Did I miss the Robotech Tactics relaunch?

For all talk related to Robotech RPG Tactics™. A strategic, tactical board game brought to you by Palladium Books®, Ninja Division® and Harmony Gold®

Moderators: Phaze, Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

bielmic
Dungeon Crawler

Did I miss the Robotech Tactics relaunch?

Unread post by bielmic »

I frankly haven't been paying attention to this project for a while and decided to peek back in during Adepticon. It looks like for the first time in OVER a year we have proof of some sort of effort being made to complete this project (the pics of the SDF-1 in an update and the Armored and VF-4 from Adepticon)... but I remember around Christmas that there was supposed to be a relaunch of the game supposedly during the Spring. Have I missed that? If not, has there been any more details about this or has the relaunch been quietly shelved like the last official q1/q2 2016 release dates for wave 2?
Congratulations, Palladium Books. You just threw away a customer of 28 years because of how you handled Robotech Tactics.
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Re: Did I miss the Robotech Tactics relaunch?

Unread post by The Beast »

bielmic wrote:I frankly haven't been paying attention to this project for a while and decided to peek back in during Adepticon. It looks like for the first time in OVER a year we have proof of some sort of effort being made to complete this project (the pics of the SDF-1 in an update and the Armored and VF-4 from Adepticon)... but I remember around Christmas that there was supposed to be a relaunch of the game supposedly during the Spring. Have I missed that? If not, has there been any more details about this or has the relaunch been quietly shelved like the last official q1/q2 2016 release dates for wave 2?

I've seen rumors from a couple different sites and on Facebook that claim Chuck basically said 2016 won't happen, but I haven't seen anything official from Palladium about that. I hope that's not the case, but, IMO, Palladium has to prove that rumor is unfounded.
rosco60559
Explorer

Unread post by rosco60559 »

The plain old truth is nope still waiting for the re-launch. With how little of wave 2 is done I doubt anything will be done in the near future with it.
Alpha 11
Palladin

Unread post by Alpha 11 »

Nothing other then in the updates saying that there has been nothing to report. Which is not true, IMO. I'm positive something bad has happen, they are just not saying anything for some strange reason. It won't hurt to say so. It would make all us backer WAY more understanding and give more support of the game in general, and not the downward spin that its become.
Morgan Vening
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Morgan Vening »

Alpha 11 wrote:Nothing other then in the updates saying that there has been nothing to report. Which is not true, IMO. I'm positive something bad has happen, they are just not saying anything for some strange reason. It won't hurt to say so. It would make all us backer WAY more understanding and give more support of the game in general, and not the downward spin that its become.

I disagree it won't hurt. Palladium have spent years saying everything is cool, and as little as three months ago, dismissed any idea that completion was not inevitable. If they'd been more up front when the problems started to occur, or more engaged with the backership, maybe. But they've burnt through any goodwill they might have, with a significant portion of backers. Admitting issues now simply wouldn't do them any good, not unless they're willing to offer refunds.

Better for them to just buckle down and get things done, if that's what they're planning on doing. Guess we'll see between now and end of Summer (late September in the US). That's the timeframe by which we should have "much more details, information, progress reports and offer up new material on a regular basis".

The allegation reported regarding writing off 2016 doesn't contradict this though. If they're not expecting to have everything ready for completion before end of September at the earliest, then writing off 2016 is probably for the best. Trying to go from start of manufacturing to shipping to backers in 3 months, especially at that time of year, would be a fool's errand. Realizing that an setting unrealistic timeframes don't do anything but cause problems, would be a good first step.

Too bad they're still doing it with their other products. Of the 8 non-Rifter products listed as being in the "Schedule of 2016 Releases for the First 6 months", none have been done, one is almost ready (and has been split into two volumes), and one looks like it might make it under the wire. Hitting 25% of your self-set target is NOT good.
rosco60559
Explorer

It would have been best if they kept open and HONEST communications through this entire project. Seeing other projects have issues then tell backers what's going on, and proposed solutions have kept backers on their sides for the most part. There is no way I'm expecting anything this year. Too much needs to be done and approved, plus add in October they start the grab bags for 5 months nothing gets done on anything other than the rifter.
Alpha 11
Palladin

Morgan Vening wrote:
Alpha 11 wrote:Nothing other then in the updates saying that there has been nothing to report. Which is not true, IMO. I'm positive something bad has happen, they are just not saying anything for some strange reason. It won't hurt to say so. It would make all us backer WAY more understanding and give more support of the game in general, and not the downward spin that its become.

I disagree it won't hurt. Palladium have spent years saying everything is cool, and as little as three months ago, dismissed any idea that completion was not inevitable. If they'd been more up front when the problems started to occur, or more engaged with the backership, maybe. But they've burnt through any goodwill they might have, with a significant portion of backers. Admitting issues now simply wouldn't do them any good, not unless they're willing to offer refunds.

Better for them to just buckle down and get things done, if that's what they're planning on doing. Guess we'll see between now and end of Summer (late September in the US). That's the timeframe by which we should have "much more details, information, progress reports and offer up new material on a regular basis".

The allegation reported regarding writing off 2016 doesn't contradict this though. If they're not expecting to have everything ready for completion before end of September at the earliest, then writing off 2016 is probably for the best. Trying to go from start of manufacturing to shipping to backers in 3 months, especially at that time of year, would be a fool's errand. Realizing that an setting unrealistic timeframes don't do anything but cause problems, would be a good first step.

Too bad they're still doing it with their other products. Of the 8 non-Rifter products listed as being in the "Schedule of 2016 Releases for the First 6 months", none have been done, one is almost ready (and has been split into two volumes), and one looks like it might make it under the wire. Hitting 25% of your self-set target is NOT good.

You might be right. Though I'm positive several of us, including me, would say "FINNALLY!! They are being honest and talking!" I know it would help me.

rosco60559 wrote:It would have been best if they kept open and HONEST communications through this entire project. Seeing other projects have issues then tell backers what's going on, and proposed solutions have kept backers on their sides for the most part. There is no way I'm expecting anything this year. Too much needs to be done and approved, plus add in October they start the grab bags for 5 months nothing gets done on anything other than the rifter.

I think no one will disagree with you there.
Bonkers
D-Bee

Unread post by Bonkers »

My money is on agents along the chain banking on a spike in interest and a chance to increase their price, the series being so popular for so long. If they give their word now then they can't up the cost later. Cynical I know but there is huge potential in this game so likely there holding out to go gw with the price before the historical 20 20 that is the basis for gw price. I for one am looking forward to wave 2 on or about Christmas.
Alpha 11
Palladin

Bonkers wrote:My money is on agents along the chain banking on a spike in interest and a chance to increase their price, the series being so popular for so long. If they give their word now then they can't up the cost later. Cynical I know but there is huge potential in this game so likely there holding out to go gw with the price before the historical 20 20 that is the basis for gw price. I for one am looking forward to wave 2 on or about Christmas.

I hope your wrong on that first part. It would be REALLY stupid of them to try that, and if it got out..., well, I wouldn't want to be in their shoes. And yes, I hope it gets out around that time. If it doesn't get out by then, we will have to wait to sometime in the first few months of 2017.
rosco60559
Explorer

the problem is a quote is only good for so long. so if they got a quote now and rrt doesn't go into production in a reasonable amount of time cost goes up.

I've had customers come into the shop I work at and expect quotes from over a year ago to be honored. before we take the cars back in we tell the people the parts prices may have gone up since it was quoted so long ago and try to keep close to it. the customers then find out to keep a decent warranty they have to pay a higher price for the quality parts like moog or only get a 1 year for the bargain basement to keep at the old quote.
wilycoyote
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by wilycoyote »

This may well be a big stumbling block, as factory time is at a premium and missing your slot means being pushed right back and likelu having to compenstae the production team.

If this is added to the fact that noone can quote an actual date, it is to say the very least very problematical for PB
Alpha 11
Palladin

wilycoyote wrote:This may well be a big stumbling block, as factory time is at a premium and missing your slot means being pushed right back and likelu having to compenstae the production team.

If this is added to the fact that noone can quote an actual date, it is to say the very least very problematical for PB

If that's true, then great! More money down the drain! :|

Return to “Robotech RPG Tactics™”