Looking for 6 ft. by 4 ft. tables

For all talk related to Robotech RPG Tactics™. A strategic, tactical board game brought to you by Palladium Books®, Ninja Division® and Harmony Gold®

Moderators: Phaze, Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Alpha 11
Palladin

Looking for 6 ft. by 4 ft. tables

Unread post by Alpha 11 »

Does anyone know where to find any? Or maybe 4 ft. by 3 ft. tables? Can't seem to find them anywhere. Want to use them for RTT and other games. And I would like not have to build my own.
Morgan Vening
Dungeon Crawler

Re: Looking for 6 ft. by 4 ft. tables

Unread post by Morgan Vening »

Alpha 11 wrote:Does anyone know where to find any? Or maybe 4 ft. by 3 ft. tables? Can't seem to find them anywhere. Want to use them for RTT and other games. And I would like not have to build my own.

Until I bought my own tables (custom sized from a place that dealt with that kind of thing), we used to use two 4x4 pieces of 1/2" MDF, laid on top of a regular table. Was a cheap alternative, and was easy to pack away. A friend had three sets, and three trestle tables, and it's a couple minutes to set up and pack away, without having to commit to a permanent space.

Unless you're looking to do permanent fixed terrain, it's probably the best option. And while permanent fixed terrain looks nice (some of the shots from the POH Tourney were cool), it starts to get repetitive fairly quickly.
Seto Kaiba
Knight
Comment: "My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie."

Unread post by Seto Kaiba »

Alpha 11 wrote:Does anyone know where to find any? Or maybe 4 ft. by 3 ft. tables? Can't seem to find them anywhere. Want to use them for RTT and other games. And I would like not have to build my own.

Back when I was first getting into Warhammer 40,000, my preferred solution for a quick-and-dirty gaming table was to use a cheap folding banquet table. They're not quite the right size (usually they're only about 2.5' along the shorter side) so what I did was take 4'x4' size pieces of plywood, apply duct tape to smooth the rough edges for easy handling, and then cover the "top" with material to make whatever type of base terrain I had in mind. That way, you have an extremely portable modular gaming table that can easily adapt to your changing tastes and fits neatly into the trunk or second row of most any midsize family car.

To actually texture the gaming surface, I tried a couple different methods. Initially, I tried glue and flock, but that turned out to be great for leaving little tufts of flock EVERYWHERE whenever I moved it. Texture paint in grey or khaki works great for concrete or sand-type terrain effects. For grass, I felt texture paint didn't produce the right look, so I got some squares of green felt and glued them to the plywood.

I actually still use a version of this approach today... just it's an 8'x4' sheet of plywood over a regulation pool table's top.
Macross2.net - Home of the Macross Mecha Manual

Zer0 Kay wrote:Damn you for anticipating my question. I've really got to unfoe you, your information is far more valuable than my sanity when dealing with your blunt callousness. :)
CaptKaruthors
Explorer

Unread post by CaptKaruthors »

You can find folding work tables at Lowes. They have several different dimensions. You'll probably need two. There are other alternatives, but I dunno what your budget is.
Alpha 11
Palladin

Just wanted to say, thanks for the help guys!
jedi078
Champion
Comment: The next group of player characters to surrender in one of my games are going to play Russian roulette.

Unread post by jedi078 »

You can find folding tables at places like Target and Walmart. We ended up getting six for my son's birthday party and plan to use them for other events.
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem".
Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985
Alpha 11
Palladin

I ended up getting 3 2 ft. by 4 ft. tables. Again, thanks for the help guys!
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

I wouldn't give up on making some yourself. I made two tables to close to your dimensions over the holidays.
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.

Return to “Robotech RPG Tactics™”