Multiple close formations?

Here you can discuss rules related questions pertaining to the Robotech RPG Tactics™ game. Do you have your own rules modifications to share? Constructive suggestions for future rules expansion? Talk about them here!

Moderators: Phaze, Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Battle Damage
D-Bee

Multiple close formations?

Unread post by Battle Damage »

Reading the posts in this forum has made me question my interpretation of the close formation rules.

My reading of the rules has led me to the conclusion that a squadron could consist of multiple groups in close formation: E.g. a Regault attrition squadron with a Glaug added could be placed in two groups of five, with both groups consisting of five pods within 2" of each other and therefore both groups could claim the benefits of close formation.

Some of the other posts in here seem to imply that each squadron can only have component in close formation.

Any thoughts?
Axoid
Megaversal® Ambassador

Re: Multiple close formations?

Unread post by Axoid »

My thought is one close formation per squadron. If there are two groups, the larger one gets the CF bonus. Most other games that have formation rules are like this, and it makes sense thematically. You're one squadron, so you should get one bonus for acting like a squadron.
Phaze
Megaversal® Ambassador Coordinator
Comment: Pirate Wisdom:
Rum is a journey, and a destination.

Unread post by Phaze »

Axoid wrote:My thought is one close formation per squadron. If there are two groups, the larger one gets the CF bonus. Most other games that have formation rules are like this, and it makes sense thematically. You're one squadron, so you should get one bonus for acting like a squadron.

I would disagree. Squadrons break out into smaller 'flights'. As long as the groups can claim benefit of combined fire, so be it. You see this tactically in the use of small 'Fire Teams' that cover each other as they move up the battlefield. I always found the unit cohesion model of other games like 40k unrealistic as you have a full unit of guys fighting in a lump; for defending a fire base maybe, but offensively, it doesn't make sense.
I'll still enjoy watching you get blown off the table while you stare in helpless wonder at Phaze's marching legions of colored perfection. -- Godsgopher
Grabula
D-Bee

Unread post by Grabula »

Phaze wrote:
Axoid wrote: I always found the unit cohesion model of other games like 40k unrealistic as you have a full unit of guys fighting in a lump; for defending a fire base maybe, but offensively, it doesn't make sense.

Depends on the situation. In afghanistan where we didn't have to worry about artillery or airstrikes we fought pretty close together. There are a lot of factors that determine how close you fight as a unit. For one being closer makes communication easier, shifting of weapons and fire easier and handing off of ammo and other equipment during a fight. Terrain has a say in it though as well. At one point my platoon was effectively split by about 50 meters because that was the only way we could all get cover. Finally even tanks will fight 'close' together for support and weight of fire. In general a 'unit' will fight as close together as reasonably possible considering all of the conditions since the advantages outweigh the disadvantages.
In the middle of painting my first mecha!
Mike1975
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Mike1975 »

Keep in mind that Close Formation has 2 advantages and one disadvantage.

1. Units in Close Formation can shield each other without paying command points. So if you have a Veritech hit by a Glaug with the top cannon for 6 damage you can split it among both the fighters half and half for 3 points each. THEN you can Roll with Impact for each of the two Veritechs reducing that damage from 3 each to 1 each since it rounds down to a minimum of 1.

2. Units in Close Formation may get the GN bonus if the total # of units exceeds the GN of the unit in question.

Now the bad....they fire simultaneously. This makes it a bit harder to kill weaker units like a VF-1A that is in front of a VF-1J that you really want to kill.

So although smaller groups may not get the GN bonus, there is still an advantage to Close Formation. Dead Units cannot return fire. It is better to have 2 damaged units than one dead one.
Phaze
Megaversal® Ambassador Coordinator
Comment: Pirate Wisdom:
Rum is a journey, and a destination.

Unread post by Phaze »

Grabula wrote:Depends on the situation. In afghanistan where we didn't have to worry about artillery or airstrikes we fought pretty close together.

Your absolutely right...it depends. I prefer to have the option and not forced to stay together. Smaller groups of higher GN may not be able to use the +1, but thet could still use the shielding aspects.

BTW... As one vet (flyboy) to another: Thanks.
I'll still enjoy watching you get blown off the table while you stare in helpless wonder at Phaze's marching legions of colored perfection. -- Godsgopher
warmaster21
D-Bee

Unread post by warmaster21 »

Mike1975 wrote: Units in Close Formation can shield each other without paying command points. So if you have a Veritech hit by a Glaug with the top cannon for 6 damage you can split it among both the fighters half and half for 3 points each. THEN you can Roll with Impact for each of the two Veritechs reducing that damage from 3 each to 1 each since it rounds down to a minimum of 1...

The glaug's main cannon having overwhelming and cant roll with impact against it, but this is a good example for nearly every other situation for an advantage for close formation
Mike1975
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Mike1975 »

Excellent Point that I should have caught. That was the right mechanics but a bad example with the Glaug's cannon.

Return to “Robotech RPG Tactics™ - Rules Discussion”