Rifts New Navy Manuscript sent in!

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Greg Diaczyk
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The Official "Wayne Smith Clone"

Re: Rifts New Navy Manuscript sent in!

Unread post by Greg Diaczyk »

Mediapig71
This sounds awesome man! I really hope there are some rules in there to even the playing field between tech based heroes and power based ones.... Can't wait for this book!

I've played in a couple of games where the tech based character got shafted, was always fixing gear or having it destroyed by the villain and never got anything really new, where as the mutants in the group kept getting more and more powerful.

So definitely yes.

If you liked what I did in Rifter #37 with the Expanded Mega-Heroes, there will be a lot more things like that, including rules on how to "level up" tech based characters, to keep them on the same power level as the ever increasing powers of a mutant, experiment or wizard.
Greg Diaczyk,
"Wayne Smith Clone"
Palladium Freelance Writer and Editor

Icefalcon
Champion

Unread post by Icefalcon »

Greg Diaczyk wrote:Mediapig71
This sounds awesome man! I really hope there are some rules in there to even the playing field between tech based heroes and power based ones.... Can't wait for this book!

I've played in a couple of games where the tech based character got shafted, was always fixing gear or having it destroyed by the villain and never got anything really new, where as the mutants in the group kept getting more and more powerful.

So definitely yes.

If you liked what I did in Rifter #37 with the Expanded Mega-Heroes, there will be a lot more things like that, including rules on how to "level up" tech based characters, to keep them on the same power level as the ever increasing powers of a mutant, experiment or wizard.

This sounds awesome. Can't wait to get my hands on it.
*Sniff, Sniff* Why does it smell like wet dog in here?!
Mediapig71
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Mediapig71 »

Music to my ears.... sounds exactly like what these classes need!
Wooly
Adventurer

Unread post by Wooly »

Greg Diaczyk wrote:Mediapig71 wrote

Can you give us any hints of what the book will contain?

At the moment it is still in the very early stages of development, but what I pitched to Kevin was the following:

Hardware Unlimited™
A sourcebook for Heroes Unlimited™

The much anticipated accessories book for any crime fighter, vigilante and super hero. A comprehensive catalogue of the standard fair of super hero gear from grappling hooks, super sleuthing gear, to body armor, weapons and accessories only a super hero would need. Not to be outdone by the gear they produce the heroes behind their concepts rise to feature their talents to the super hero community, battling with their evil competitor Fabricator Inc. by outfitting heroes with the latest gear, accessories, costumes and hero paraphernalia.

• New Hardware Power Categories: Hacker, Driver, Mad Scientist, Chemical Genius, Robotics Genius and Robotic Swarm Master.
• An as un yet named Hardware Organization that builds custom costumes, gear, technologically gear that upgrades super powers, vehicles and Hero Headquarters (a good guy version of Fabricator Inc.)
• A huge catalogue of useful low tech and high tech gear for every type of super hero, from the normal human vigilante to the power packed mutant. All accessories to be “timeline appropriate” and easily adjusted whether you want to run a game in 1980 or 2080.
• New Bionics and Robotic Systems
• Custom Vehicle Creation Rules for Land, Sea and Air Vehicles.
• Advice on how to run equipment based games and hero dependency on gadgets (instead of powers)
• Expanded Mega-Heroes (An updated version of my Rifter # 37 article)
• Secret Base Creation Rules (An updated version of my Rifter #37 article)
• New Skill programs to reflect "non-Hardware" characters trying to be Hardware Characters such as a Mutant with Telemechanics or Mechano-Link.

Take a look at the Punisher: Armory series.

Also there are also hundreds of firearms, new ammunition (PDW calibers like 4.6 and 5.7 come immediately to mind) and accessories which now exist which really show how badly dated the Compedium of Modern Weapons is.
“When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” - C.S. Lewis
Mediapig71
Dungeon Crawler

This probably falls into the category of pestering, so I apologize, but just figured I'd pipe up and see if there was any update of Hardware Unlimited?

The ideas Greg discussed sound so awesome, I really can't wait for this book!
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Mediapig71 wrote:This probably falls into the category of pestering, so I apologize, but just figured I'd pipe up and see if there was any update of Hardware Unlimited?

The ideas Greg discussed sound so awesome, I really can't wait for this book!

I think until they can get the plunger out and get NG1 NG2 megaverse on fire out of the pipes we won't hear much about other products and that is probably for the best as they have a bunch on their plate. If they can get that flowing smoothly again we should start hearing more about new stuff.
Witchcraft
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Witchcraft »

Why doesn't Ninja Division start working on Hardware Unlimited so Kevin can get to RIFTS BILOXI BLUES?!?!
There is no spoon.
Mediapig71
Dungeon Crawler

I really wish they could put out more Heroes Unlimited stuff, but I know it's hard for a small company. The HU books really stand out to me (for the most part) as high quality releases, and I'm always excited at the prospect of new material.
Shawn Merrow
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: For the glory of Zeon and Zerebus, Sieg Zeon!

2D6 Palladium Forum History Geek Points

Unread post by Shawn Merrow »

Witchcraft wrote:Why doesn't Ninja Division start working on Hardware Unlimited so Kevin can get to RIFTS BILOXI BLUES?!?!

They are miniature gaming people with probably no experience in putting out RPG books.

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection
ZINO
Knight
Comment: NEVER QUIT..... I got lucky

Unread post by ZINO »

Greg Diaczyk wrote:So I finally finished off the manuscript for Rifts New Navy and just sent it off to Kevin.

You can officially start hounding him to get the book published now!

Heck point out it would go really well with the Pacific Rim movie that's slated for release in July 2013 (and everyone on the boards is cheering about). :eek:

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming :D

Congrats man you rock hope to see it soon and I will buy it hand down man!!
we need new stuff like this man and last a new fresh of breath air this will help PB man!!!
let your YES be YES and your NO be NO but plz no maybe
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Greg Diaczyk wrote:Hardware Unlimited™

The much anticipated accessories book for any crime fighter, vigilante and super hero. A comprehensive catalogue of the standard fair of super hero gear from grappling hooks, super sleuthing gear, to body armor, weapons and accessories only a super hero would need. Not to be outdone by the gear they produce the heroes behind their concepts rise to feature their talents to the super hero community, battling with their evil competitor Fabricator Inc. by outfitting heroes with the latest gear, accessories, costumes and hero paraphernalia.

• New Hardware Power Categories: Hacker, Driver, Mad Scientist, Chemical Genius, Robotics Genius and Robotic Swarm Master.
• An as un yet named Hardware Organization that builds custom costumes, gear, technologically gear that upgrades super powers, vehicles and Hero Headquarters (a good guy version of Fabricator Inc.)
• A huge catalogue of useful low tech and high tech gear for every type of super hero, from the normal human vigilante to the power packed mutant. All accessories to be “timeline appropriate” and easily adjusted whether you want to run a game in 1980 or 2080.
• Advice on how to run equipment based games and hero dependency on gadgets (instead of powers)
• New Skill programs to reflect "non-Hardware" characters trying to be Hardware Characters such as a Mutant with Telemechanics or Mechano-Link.

Can't wait to see/read this!
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
Semi-Retired Gamer
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Semi-Retired Gamer »

Greg Diaczyk wrote:Mediapig71 wrote

Can you give us any hints of what the book will contain?

At the moment it is still in the very early stages of development, but what I pitched to Kevin was the following:

Hardware Unlimited™

Thumbs up! 8)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I blog (mainly) about role-playing interests at The Semi-Retired Gamer.
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

I'm confused... why did this need a necro again?
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Please take the opportunity to discuss with Kevin the incorporation of some clarification upon Sea Titan breeding rules.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
ZINO
Knight
Comment: NEVER QUIT..... I got lucky

Unread post by ZINO »

Congratulations on getting your manuscript
will buy the second it come out !!!!!!!!!!
let your YES be YES and your NO be NO but plz no maybe
89er
Adventurer

Unread post by 89er »

Water, Water everywhere and none to drink due to the Lord of the Deep buying all of our bottled water.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

89er wrote:Water, Water everywhere and none to drink due to the Lord of the Deep buying all of our bottled water.

Get out your best calamari recipes, then, and be sure to use the Rifter rules for Rifts cooking to defuse the magic energies in any Lord of the Deep flesh, because that stuff is likely dripping bad mojo that will kill you, or worse, if eaten raw.
Prepared just right though, to remove the evil taint, I imagine it would be considered a delicacy like fugu. only a LOT pricier(because nobody's going to go out DELIBERATELY hunting Reachers, no matter how much they're being paid).
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
BuzzardB
Explorer

Unread post by BuzzardB »

So its New Navy a book that will exist? I see this thread is actually pretty old, did New Navy become Lemuria or something?
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

So a Hardware book and new navy. Yays. Oooo can we have sdc equivalents in the new navy book.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

I wonder if we'll find out if the Ticonderoga is the "largest war machine".

Far as I know it might be on Earth... obv. stuff in Phase World or Robotech or Mechanoids would eclipse though. Maybe AU?
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

BuzzardB wrote:So its New Navy a book that will exist? I see this thread is actually pretty old, did New Navy become Lemuria or something?

No its more of a matter of the log jam of NG1/NG2/robotech tactics threw all their production schedule for a loop. Hopefully now that NG2 is out and robotech seems moving well we can get the megaverse in flames out the door and get the production line moving a bit more freely.

We shall see but it sounds like some of the other lines may get a bit of love in the way of some smaller source books this year.
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

kaid wrote:
BuzzardB wrote:So its New Navy a book that will exist? I see this thread is actually pretty old, did New Navy become Lemuria or something?

No its more of a matter of the log jam of NG1/NG2/robotech tactics threw all their production schedule for a loop. Hopefully now that NG2 is out and robotech seems moving well we can get the megaverse in flames out the door and get the production line moving a bit more freely.

We shall see but it sounds like some of the other lines may get a bit of love in the way of some smaller source books this year.

Ill look forward to reading it in 2098.
I want to see from Palladium:
Updated Aug 2015
-Rifts: Dark Woods/Deep South, Space 110 PA, Scandinavia
-Mechanoids: Space (MDC)
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
-Updated Errata for post-2006 printings of Rifts books
-Searchable, quality PDFs/E-pubs of current Rifts titles
cawest
Wanderer

Unread post by cawest »

so is this book still coming out? would be nice to have a more well rounded fleet
ffranceschi
Adventurer
Comment: "In Absentia Lucis, Tenebrae Vincunt"
Location: Republic of Cordoba, Silver River Republics (Montevideo, Uruguay)

Unread post by ffranceschi »

Congratulations Greg! Lemuria is in my top five so New Navy should be super awesome!. Russian Subs rock! Oh, and I would like to see the ASF-14 too...perhaps a last minute add on or a Rifter article?
Head of Northern Gun Research and Development

"I'm ready man, check it out. I am the ultimate badass! State-of-the-badass-art!" - Private Hudson, ALIENS (1986).
taalismn
Priest

Even a Rifter teaser with material cut from the New Navy project would be GLORIOUS.
Darn it, why do you dangle such prospective books in front of me?! It's torture, I tell you, torture in the waiting!!! :badbad: :frust:
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

taalismn wrote:Even a Rifter teaser with material cut from the New Navy project would be GLORIOUS.
Darn it, why do you dangle such prospective books in front of me?! It's torture, I tell you, torture in the waiting!!! :badbad: :frust:

Yes torture indeed I'm going to go to my congressman and demand that book-boarding be banned from the PBI's retinue of information gathering techniques. How dare you use this dastardly technique on your fans. :fool:
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

So the new ships...are they pre-Rifts origins? Or are these designs that were created in the past 300 years? Basically...can I use them in Chaos Earth?
I want to see from Palladium:
Updated Aug 2015
-Rifts: Dark Woods/Deep South, Space 110 PA, Scandinavia
-Mechanoids: Space (MDC)
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
-Updated Errata for post-2006 printings of Rifts books
-Searchable, quality PDFs/E-pubs of current Rifts titles
taalismn
Priest

Zer0 Kay wrote:
taalismn wrote:Even a Rifter teaser with material cut from the New Navy project would be GLORIOUS.

Yes torture indeed I'm going to go to my congressman and demand that book-boarding be banned from the PBI's retinue of information gathering techniques. How dare you use this dastardly technique on your fans. :fool:

"See this manuscript? It's the New Navy plus...lots and lots of creation tables and new stuff....(sniff, sniff) smells heavenly...really good stuff....some of our best work ever...sorry, can't let you see it until we publish it...after we get so and so out of the way first..I dunno, 2016 maybe? But it will be really great!"
(cue Snoopy Cry-Howl from Palladifan)
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

Greg Diaczyk wrote:Let me preface this with any or all of this could change at the whim of the Editor… but assuming nothing changes… :D

glitterboy2098 wrote
what kinds of new ships and gear?

A whole bunch of New Navy ships, a bunch of independents from the Pacific Rim and custom ship creation rules.

Sonic weapons and a few other undersea weapons
New Power Armor (New Navy and AquaTech)
New Cyborg Chassis (undersea mining)
New Bio-System/Cybernetics
New and stated out old D-Bees (Kizh and Octurill where mention in Splynn Dimensional Market and they are stated out)
Millennium Coral and Clams

are the locations of the new Navy's secret cities detailed?

Yes, with a map of the surrounding locations, Kodiak Island (Alaska), Hawaii and a small island halfway between South American and Antarctica.

does it explain how the New Navy's society/government works?

Sort of, but not really, they run military style. Even their cities are essentially just places for their civilian population to live, but controlled by the Navy.

...and a few other tidbits to tease you further
New O.C.C.s
Game Master’s section on how to bring “Land Lubber” characters into an undersea campaign.
Plot ideas on how to run an epic campaign to battle the Lord of the Deep
A bunch of hook, line and sinkers,
Undersea Colony Creation Rules
Random Tropic Island Encounter Tables

Just noting that it is funny that Kodiak is "surrounding" to you. All of the west coast of the lower 48 is closer.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)

Return to “Rifts®”