Vintex RCC and their skills

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

MDGiest
Wanderer

Vintex RCC and their skills

Unread post by MDGiest »

Ok, so I was looking over this new RCC and I came across something odd & disturbing. In place of OCC Related Skills is Are of Specialty. Alright no problem with that. Pick 5 skills from one category...ok. And then...nothing? What, these guys can't learn new skills related to their field of expertise? A pilot can't pick up ANY Pilot Related skills? This makes no sense for a warrior who supposedly uses tech weapons and such. Did I miss something? Is there an errata on World Book 30 that I missed? Help please?!
"I don't care who's right..Let's go kill something." Graffiti at Newtown

"You are the dumbest...smart person, I've ever met!" (Ive forgoteen who said it, but damn it was funny)
rat_bastard
Kreelockian
Comment: Maybe if my sig line is clever enough someone will finally love me.

Re: Vintex RCC and their skills

Unread post by rat_bastard »

MDGiest wrote:Ok, so I was looking over this new RCC and I came across something odd & disturbing. In place of OCC Related Skills is Are of Specialty. Alright no problem with that. Pick 5 skills from one category...ok. And then...nothing? What, these guys can't learn new skills related to their field of expertise? A pilot can't pick up ANY Pilot Related skills? This makes no sense for a warrior who supposedly uses tech weapons and such. Did I miss something? Is there an errata on World Book 30 that I missed? Help please?!

by all means discuss this with your GM, I would allow a Pilot Vintex pilot related (and communication) skills as supplemental skills.

But they are kinda meant to be Jen'hadar, focused, deadly and bland.
"If a child shows a particular abundance of pity for fools or an overwhelming disdain for jibber jabber he is plucked from his family and raised by monks in the T-emple."
cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

Unread post by cornholioprime »

rat_bastard wrote:
MDGiest wrote:Ok, so I was looking over this new RCC and I came across something odd & disturbing. In place of OCC Related Skills is Are of Specialty. Alright no problem with that. Pick 5 skills from one category...ok. And then...nothing? What, these guys can't learn new skills related to their field of expertise? A pilot can't pick up ANY Pilot Related skills? This makes no sense for a warrior who supposedly uses tech weapons and such. Did I miss something? Is there an errata on World Book 30 that I missed? Help please?!

by all means discuss this with your GM, I would allow a Pilot Vintex pilot related (and communication) skills as supplemental skills.

But they are kinda meant to be Jen'hadar, focused, deadly and bland.

That's Jem'hadar, buddy.

I find it outrageous that you misspelled that word.

Truly,
Truly,
Truly outrageous.

(Rikonius better send me my Pun Points in the mail for making that one up!!)
The Kevinomicon, Book of Siembieda 3:16.

16 Blessed art Thou above all others, O COALITION STATES, beloved of Kevin;

17 For Thou art allowed to do Evil without Limit, nor do thy Enemies retaliate.

18 Thy Military be run by Fools and Dotards.

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

Unread post by cornholioprime »

On a more serious note, perhaps the extremely limited choice of progressions is a way to partially balance this RCC out.

After all, the flavor text for this species does indicate that they aren't particularly 'bright' in terms of thinking for themselves or innovation, and therefore the (deliberately?) limited skill set might be the way in which those inadequacies are expressed.
The Kevinomicon, Book of Siembieda 3:16.

16 Blessed art Thou above all others, O COALITION STATES, beloved of Kevin;

17 For Thou art allowed to do Evil without Limit, nor do thy Enemies retaliate.

18 Thy Military be run by Fools and Dotards.

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Greetings and Salutations. While I dont' know if any errata, I will note that they do get secondary skills. Now I know Secondary Skills are limited, but it does allow the character to take Sensory Equipment (also a Communications skill and available as secondary). W.P. Heavy Energy can substitute for Weapon Systems (you don't get the +1 bonus, that's all you should really lose, because Heavy Energy does apply to vehicle mounted weapons), and that can be selected as one of your Modern W.P. of choice (O.C.C. skills). Also, it mentions that they automatically get the "Targeting" skill. Not sure what skill that is (Weapons Systems maybe?). You can't get Navigation, admittedly. The character starts with Land Navigation, and Sensors may help with the rest (if going by instruments alone, not positive but I think that would work). Secondary Skills do provide a total of 12 skills over all the levels, and that's pretty decent (I think, I haven't compared all the other O.C.C.). All in all it doesn't look too bad, though I haven't tried to make one and I don't play much Rifts (so maybe not the best judge). I just thought to point out how it could work better for a pilot and such. Don't ignore Secondary Skills, they are your friends. And, if a G.M. is generous (by no means required, but it's reasonable in my opinion), if you can role-play why your character is able to learn something normally not allowed (trained in game to use a skill normally not allowed as a Secondary) the G.M. may allow it as the character advances (I would). Anyways, just some thoughts. I hope some of that helps. If not, then my apologies for wasting your time. Please have a nice day. Farewell and safe journeys.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.

Return to “Rifts®”