Fighting Holes & Grenade Slump Question

1'st edition, Deluxe Revised. Military strategies are the thing to discuss here. Oh yeah and how much damage that land mine will do.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

GreenGhost
Adventurer

Fighting Holes & Grenade Slump Question

Unread post by GreenGhost »

If you have a character in a fighting hole and a hand grenade were to be thrown into the hole what would your penalties be (if any) when the character attempts to kick it into the grenade slump.

I think the penalties should reflect the shape or type of grenade.

Also if the character was successful in kicking the grenade in the slump would you completely negate any damage to the character or would you reduce the damage? Personally I'd reduce the damage to a quarter or half depending if the character was successful (and how successful) in their Military Fortification skill.
Semper Fi
OOH-RAH!
0331/0321
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

Yeah,s ome sort of reflex or parry or initiative roll to do it in time, and then a strike roll to put it in the sump.

The grenade being in the sump allows the character to amek a roll with explosion roll. If succesful the character takes no damage, if a failure, half damage. On a natural 1 the character looks down the sump after the grenade and takes full damage.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
Rockwolf66
Hero

Unread post by Rockwolf66 »

Jefffar wrote:The grenade being in the sump allows the character to make a roll with explosion roll. If succesful the character takes no damage, if a failure, half damage. On a natural 1 the character looks down the sump after the grenade and takes full damage.

Lets not forget the effects of overhead cover. if the Dogface has placed logs and sandbags over the foxhole to protect against mortars they are taking damage. The reson is that a "roof" on a foxhole traps the blast overpressure. it's the same reason why Navy SEALs cleared out enclosed spaces with Mark 3A2 concussion grenades.

There is an incident that happened many years ago that illustrates this principle. A British military unit was playing war games and two men were killed when a grenade simulator went off inside the bunker they were hold up in. The reason they were killed was that the blast door in the back of the small bunker was clossed and trapped the blast.
"Having met a few brits over here i wonder about them. The Military ones I met through my dad as a kid seem to be the most ruthless men on the planet..." -Steve Hobbs
GreenGhost
Adventurer

Using your foot to get a hand grenade into a slump is a lot better an idea than taking the time to bend down and fishing for it with your hands. Time you more than likely don't have.
Semper Fi
OOH-RAH!
0331/0321
GreenGhost
Adventurer

Lucky wrote:It takes 2-3 seconds for the grenade to land.

1 second for the character to realize there is a grenade at his feet.

Bottom line----

1 second to do something about it. If the character doesn't get a perfect (or damn near) roll, he can kiss his ass goodbye.

And you'll only have a second to kiss your ass goodbye- so you should get to it quickly :P
Semper Fi
OOH-RAH!
0331/0321
GreenGhost
Adventurer

Maybe a simple Called Shot with a minor penalty of a -3 or so would be the best way to play this out. You wouldn't want a large hole to kick the grenade into. Sure- it would reduce the penalty, but there wouldn't be the confined space to contain the blast.
Semper Fi
OOH-RAH!
0331/0321

Return to “Recon® & Recon® Modern Combat”