Favorite Grenade Launcher.

1'st edition, Deluxe Revised. Military strategies are the thing to discuss here. Oh yeah and how much damage that land mine will do.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Rockwolf66
Hero

Favorite Grenade Launcher.

Unread post by Rockwolf66 »

So what is everyone's favorite Grenade Launcher?

Mine is the M-203 pi as it can be mounted on just about anything from as the pictures show an MP-5 to the M-60E4 rail interface.
Grey Death
Adventurer

Unread post by Grey Death »

Either the HK GMG, or the Mk19. Why? Their belt fed. Do I really need to say more? :D
On a more serious note I would go with the M-203 or the HK79. But I would lean towards the 203 more. I like the fact that the 79s has a hinged breach (as opposed to the sliding style on the 203) that allows a larger range of specialty munitions. But it is expensive and more importantly heavy. So I think the 203 wins out.
Hale Chidduck: Do you believe in karma?
Joe Sarno: Karma's justice without the satisfaction. I don't believe in justice.
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

There was a grenade launcher developed in the former Czecslovakia called the LCZ B40. As automatic grenade launchers go, it's light and ocmpact (almost rifle size) and, by swaping out a few key components, could be converted into a .50 calibre anti-materiel rifle/light machinegun.

I like the Russian GP-25/30 series. The ar esmaller and lighter than a lt of wester style launchers and being muzzle loaders can accomidate rounds of a variety of lenghs if needed. I think they are also able to be loaded and fired faster than western launchers. I rememeber reading about how one GP-30 can be used to hit a target with 2 grenades simultaneously by launching one in high tragectory, reloading, then launching another in low trajectory.

The Russians also developed a neat silenced grenade launcher.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
demos606
Hero

Unread post by demos606 »

M-203 is nice for hand held, multipurpose combat rifles but for my money it's all about the Mk-19 when it comes right down to needing a grenade launcher.
What a cruel thing is war: to separate and destroy families and friends, and mar the purest joys and happiness God has granted us in this world; to fill our hearts with hatred instead of love for our neighbors, and to devastate the fair face of this beautiful world. - R E Lee
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. - G Orwell
jedi078
Champion
Comment: The next group of player characters to surrender in one of my games are going to play Russian roulette.

Unread post by jedi078 »

Lucky wrote:Mk-19. nuff said.

ditto

(what is up with us Jarheads liking the Mk19?)

Maybe it's the amount of destruction they cause.....
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem".
Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985
demos606
Hero

Unread post by demos606 »

Yeah, there is definately something about the Mk-19 thats hard not to love if you were one of Uncle Sams Misguided Children. Personally, it's the sheer destructive potential it represents - plus white phosphorous is really hard to ignore when yer firing for effect.
What a cruel thing is war: to separate and destroy families and friends, and mar the purest joys and happiness God has granted us in this world; to fill our hearts with hatred instead of love for our neighbors, and to devastate the fair face of this beautiful world. - R E Lee
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. - G Orwell
Grey Death
Adventurer

A little off topic. Do any modern armies use rifle grenades that slip over the end of a rifles barrel? I could see advantages and disadvantages. Just a thought.
Joe Sarno: Karma's justice without the satisfaction. I don't believe in justice.
jedi078
Champion
Comment: The next group of player characters to surrender in one of my games are going to play Russian roulette.

Unread post by jedi078 »

Grey Death wrote:A little off topic. Do any modern armies use rifle grenades that slip over the end of a rifles barrel? I could see advantages and disadvantages. Just a thought.

Yes, you can add a tear gas/smoke grenade launcher attachment to a Remington (or Winchester) 870 shot gun which can be fired through the use of a blank, such as described here by Lucky:

Lucky wrote:Rifle Grenades are fired with a special round that is basically just powder and wadding, like a super-blank. regular blank cartridges put about 15x the amount of carbon into a weapon as a regular round, so Id imagine a rifle grenade cartridge would put significantly more than that.
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem".
Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

They still make rifle grenades, so someoen must use them.

A lot of modern grenades are "bullet trap" or "bullet through" designs allowing them to be fired with standard ammunition still in the rifle - though generally you still have to set the gas regulator to a special grenade firing mode.

One of my favourite rifle grenades is a round the Israelis have developed for their troops patroling along the fencelines. It's an anti-ambush round and is desinged not to require any changes in the rifle's settings or in the use of ammunition, the soldier just slides it on his weapon at the start of the patrol so it's ready to use when an ambush happens.

What makes this grenade so special is that it doesn't launch - but is basically the equivalent to a rifle mounted claymore mine.

It's a flechete round that fires in a pretty broad arc. The use of the flechettes alows the shooter to fire through chain link fence without worrying about loss of effect.

BTW, in regards to grenade laucnhers, what do you all think of the Lacroix Samourai Urban Fighting Weapon. Fires a 76 mm grenade (read mortar round) from the shoulder. A little heavy to carry, bit of a recoil issue, but no back blast.

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Rockwolf66
Hero

Jefffar wrote:BTW, in regards to grenade laucnhers, what do you all think of the Lacroix Samourai Urban Fighting Weapon. Fires a 76 mm grenade (read mortar round) from the shoulder. A little heavy to carry, bit of a recoil issue, but no back blast.

I would much rather take the EX-41( often confused with the earlier and similar China Lake Pump action Grenade launcher). it's a four shot HV 40mm pump action launcher, hense the mix up by people who don't do their homework.
Jefffar
Supreme Being

Unread post by Jefffar »

The extra range of the HV is nice, but I think I'd rather shoulder soemhtign with less recoil and a higher magazine capacity for a shoulder fired repeating grenade launcher.

Rockwolf66
Hero

Jefffar wrote:The extra range of the HV is nice, but I think I'd rather shoulder something with less recoil and a higher magazine capacity for a shoulder fired repeating grenade launcher.

Well I know the lancher is not the EX-41 but a FNH single shot but check out a couple video's from the shootout at blackwater.

http://armedforcesjournal.com/blackwater/?s=2003_videos

http://armedforcesjournal.com/blackwater/?s=2004_videos

the video's you want to watch are named "76mm" and "40mm". The rest of the video's are nice to see as well( My preferances are the MK-14 and M60E4).
Jefffar
Supreme Being

Unread post by Jefffar »

That 76mm is the Lacroix Samurai I mentioned earlier. I heard they were looking at 40 mm systems and 81 mm systems with the 40 mm system being the one presented.

Rockwolf66
Hero

Lucky wrote:
...That might explain some of the civilian casualties in Lebanon.

Well I hate to say this but there are alot of cases where the Palistinians fake evidence in order to discredit Israel. the most blatant attempt recently uncovored was a faked attack on an ambulance. Needless to say if the vehicle had really been rocketed by an Israeli Helicopter, there would no have been an intact vehicle.
Jefffar
Supreme Being

Unread post by Jefffar »

I agree, the baddies (in Lebanon, Iraq and Afghanstan) have learned to manufacture collateral damage for the western media.

I also think that the Israelis still gave Hezbolah a lot of good stuff to work with that required little spin doctoring.

GhostKnight
Adventurer

Unread post by GhostKnight »

Lucky wrote:take the weapons off a dead hezbo militant, and presto! you have an unarmed, innocent civilian murdered by the zionist infidels.

Daisy Cutters solve that. There's nothing left...
Recovery? Only for the rich and 20 counties.
Anti-Nuclear = Anti-Salmon
PC = Patronizing Cretin
The World Clock
Real Economic Statistics
Jefffar
Supreme Being

Unread post by Jefffar »

Interesting new product

What y'all think?

I am wondering about the recoil myself.

Grey Death
Adventurer

Interesting item. I bet that recoil is like 3" mag 12gauge. But thats pure conjecture on my part. The set up of the grip looks strange. It doesnt look to be very comfortable or stabile. I like the round though. Sounds like a poor mans XM-25, XM-29.
GhostKnight
Adventurer

Unread post by GhostKnight »

That would be interesting for urban warfare.
Recovery? Only for the rich and 20 counties.
Anti-Nuclear = Anti-Salmon
PC = Patronizing Cretin
The World Clock
Real Economic Statistics
Jefffar
Supreme Being

Unread post by Jefffar »

Grey, somewhere between that and a 10 guage shotgun (20 x 75 mm or abouts)

Grey Death
Adventurer

Jefffar wrote:Grey, somewhere between that and a 10 guage shotgun (20 x 75 mm or abouts)

That would sound about right.

I'm curious about the ammunition. Does any one know what the blast radius on the HE and/or the HE-I? They mention in the article that it would be useful for attacking unarmored and lightly armored vehicles. I wonder what the penetrative value (ie, how many mm of steel it can pierce) of it is?
Jefffar
Supreme Being

Unread post by Jefffar »

Well they say that the just tok a 20mm cannon round ad mated it wuth a new, shorter cartridge case, so the same blast as a 20 mm cannon.

Since it's the HE/HE-I rounds being used, and the muzzle velocity has been signifigantly reduced, I suspect armour penetration is pretty minimal.

Jefffar
Supreme Being

Unread post by Jefffar »

Yeah, the South Aficans, forced to develop their own gear by an arms embargo, did some pretty impressive stuff.

I suppose I should point out that the work that led to the G-5 and descendants was done by rogue Canadian artillerist Gerald Bull to rise money for his space launching cannon project.

Too bad Mr. Bull fell in with the wrong crowd.

Jefffar
Supreme Being

Unread post by Jefffar »

CS Jarhead wrote:The MK-19 is classified as a Machine Gun. Of course Jefffar will now ridicule US weapons classifications lol :P

Well if they didn't make it so easy for me to . . . :D

Oh well, not like there haven't been other armies guilty of that.

Jefffar
Supreme Being

Unread post by Jefffar »

Alejandro wrote:Let him. Considering Canada's extreme military budget, I'm kinda surprised they upgraded from muskets. HA! :lol:

Hey, we were the 4th largest military in the world at the end of WW2.

Too bad we haven't bought anything since then :(

Return to “Recon® & Recon® Modern Combat”