Recon Modern Combat

1'st edition, Deluxe Revised. Military strategies are the thing to discuss here. Oh yeah and how much damage that land mine will do.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

eerie

Recon Modern Combat

Unread post by eerie »

Don't know if any of you out there are still holding your breath about "Recon Modern Combat." But I was lucky enough to FINALLY get a reply from Palladium (it only took 4 emails for them to get back to me! - has anyone else ever had this problem with hearing back from them?) but they said they're not printing it. And I asked if that stuff, or anymore of the original Recon stuff, would end up on the cutting room floor and they said no. Great. Kinda makes you lose faith in these guys. :x

eerie
lather
Champion

Unread post by lather »

Yea, it seems to me that there was some behind the scenes stuff going on with that game.

Either road, I was not anticipating that book too much anyway as you just have to look through the recent news to figure out what was going to be there.

That and I don't generally buy new books..:)

If you were anticipating something, ask about it here... surely someone has an idea or resource for you!
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Unread post by Tinker Dragoon »

See other topic: viewtopic.php?t=33260
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning
eerie

Unread post by eerie »

Tinker Dragoon,

thanks for the link to the other postings about the game. But I have to add that as someone who just got out of the Army the idea of Palladium wanting to wait unit things cool down a bit in the Middle East, as one person stated, seems stupid. Sorry, but I can't think of another way to put it.

First, the game's been listed for preorder for I don't know how long so get off your lazy ass and finish it or take it off the site so as to quit teasing us. They churn out RIFTS books ad nauseam, you'd think they could spend some time working on this book and get it out to us.

Two, get over yourselves - believe me, NOBODY in the military is going to care about some game dealing with modern combat. They're making a GAME, not some op-ed piece about what we should be doing over there. There were a few guys I knew at FT Bliss who gamed, but I don't think I'd ever find them in the barracks crying because of a new wargame. If anything, we were looking forward to it. Think about it - we're in the Army! You don't think that maybe we'd ENJOY something like that??? :lol:

Third, at least give us some of the old stuff on the "cutting room floor" site. If Palladium was so committed to being PC and didn't want to offend anyone with wargames, why not take take the original rules off their site?
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

How about the fact that my 20 year old copy of Recon mentions a version of Recon that is fully compatable with Hereos Unlimited appearing int he next 6 months . . .

Face it, Recon won't be out until it is out.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
eerie

Unread post by eerie »

Jefffar,

I've lost my original Recon rule book (anybody out there want to part with one please email me), so I'll take your word for it. But it's not all that surprising to me. Gamers seem to be a notorious not-quite-alpha-male lot. What's worse is when manufacturers, like Palladium, don't do stuff they said they would.

After rereading the link that Tinker Dragoon sent, and the post from Lather, I wish that Palladium would at least explain WHY. But I really hope that they're not putting out the supplement because of the ridiculous excuse of "the current world situation." When aren't there wars or conflicts going on??? Again, they're making a game and not some political statement. If that is the reason then Palladium's stance is laughable; since the start of modern RPGs people have denigrated gaming and found any excuse to belittle the gaming world. Why try and get in the good grace of others outside the gaming world?

After buying a ton of stuff from Palladium, I expected something more from them. This episode is just simply pathetic on their part.
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

I strongly suspect that the true reason the RPG is delayed is the same reason that TMNT 2nd Edition didn't fly. Palaldium has a strict policy about releasing books that they feel may be unprofitable. The best indicator of that is the number of pre-orders they receive for the book.

So if you want to see the book sooner, pre-order it, get your whole group to preorder it, get your family to preorder it, get your family pets to preorder it . . .

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Marcantony
Adventurer

Unread post by Marcantony »

If I may commit some brief blasphemy Id really recommend Merc 2000 and some of the Twilight 2000 books as useful source material.
Maryann
Adventurer

Unread post by Maryann »

Jefffar wrote:I strongly suspect that the true reason the RPG is delayed is the same reason that TMNT 2nd Edition didn't fly. Palaldium has a strict policy about releasing books that they feel may be unprofitable. The best indicator of that is the number of pre-orders they receive for the book.

So if you want to see the book sooner, pre-order it, get your whole group to preorder it, get your family to preorder it, get your family pets to preorder it . . .

Pre Order via mail/web orders have nothing to do with this one. The book was never solicited to distributors so there were no pre-orders. Mail order is such a small part of the orders that its nice to have a bunch of pre-orders but not necessary. Don't read into this too much. Kevin felt it would be tacky to release it during the war, thats the REAL reason it got delayed indefinately.
Snoopy and Charlie Brown are (c) Peanuts Worldwide.
"Besser ein Ende mit Schrecken als ein Schrecken ohne Ende." ( A frightening end is better than an endless fright) -- Nelly
You called down the thunder, well now you got it!
Oh what A tangled web we weave ...

Jefffar
Supreme Being

Unread post by Jefffar »

Really?

I thought RMC had moved farther along the road to distribution than that.

Learn somethin' new every day.

Jefffar
Supreme Being

Unread post by Jefffar »

Pulp,

a clamor on the boards won't help. The big boss rarely (if ever) pays attention to the boards.

I do have it on good authority that he reads and responds to almost every letter (you know, the type with an envelope and a stamp) that comes across his desk - as long as its polite.

So if you really want to move Recon forward, draft your arguments into a polite letter and send it too . . .

ATTN: Kevin Siembieda
Palladium Books, Inc.
12455 Universal Drive
Taylor, MI 48180-4077

Jefffar
Supreme Being

Unread post by Jefffar »

Going to take up the challenge?

Jefffar
Supreme Being

Unread post by Jefffar »

I hope it will.

I've always thought the fastest way to get RMC to print is to do it as a module for N&Ss.

Then again, N&Ss is due for a redo too.

Recon_Charlie

Recon Modern Combat

Unread post by Recon_Charlie »

Ahhhh my very first post!

Like all of you, I'm a huge fan of Recon. This little game of ours is one hell of a game. It's quick, dirty and fun. I was one happy camper when I read of a New Recon game 3 years ago. Like all of you, I'm still waiting.

I don't know why Palladium Books would try to integrate Recon Modern Combat to their Megaversal system. Recon's rules were perfect for the type of game it is.

To this moment, what's the consensus on the Megaversal system Vs. Original Recon system dilemma?

See you in the jungle,
Recon Charlie
Jefffar
Supreme Being

Unread post by Jefffar »

I like the origional game a lot.

But it's a great War Game, not a great Role Playing Game. Fore role playing the Megaversal is way better.

Post Count 10 000 - 93

Recon_Charlie

Unread post by Recon_Charlie »

Is Recon really about Role Playing? Personally, I've always viewed Recon as a wargame. That's what's fun about it. It's a simple system that provides us with an afternoon worth of fun with friends and alcohol. The Recon System ( for a lack of a better name) is a loose set of rules designed to simulate the deadliness of combat. Palladium's Megaversal System is a more complex, hence everything takes longer to resolve.

My very personal opinion is that this complexity removes some of the fun factor the original game offered. But, hey, I'll buy anything Palladium publishes with the Recon name on it.
Jefffar
Supreme Being

Unread post by Jefffar »

Palladium tries to market itself as a Role Playing Game company, not a War Game company. They also pride themselves on a Megaversal system.

But yeah, the origional rules rock and should be kept as a seperate wargaming line.

Post Count 10 000 - 39

Return to “Recon® & Recon® Modern Combat”