How to beat Zentraedi?

For all talk related to Robotech RPG Tactics™. A strategic, tactical board game brought to you by Palladium Books®, Ninja Division® and Harmony Gold®

Moderators: Phaze, Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

ZydecoPanda
Newb

How to beat Zentraedi?

Unread post by ZydecoPanda »

Recently just got my Kickstarter pledge order and I am really enjoying the game, but there seems to be a bit of a balance issue when my friends and I play. We've been doing the intro games from the back of the rulebook and some just random games with equal points, and it seems that the Zentraedi win every time. Has anyone else found this?

Does anyone have any tips for how to make the most of the UEDF forces?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks :)
Maxgravity
D-Bee

Re: How to beat Zentraedi?

Unread post by Maxgravity »

Don't get fixated on Regults, go after the force multipliers like Recon, artillery and Glaugs.

Also don't forget to hug cover when possible. Regults hit most Destroids, as well as Valk B and G modes 50% of the time but if you are in light cover that drops to 1/3rd the time or 1/6th of the time in heavy cover.

Squadron formation is also important. If the enemy has no artillery, or has expended it all, grouping your destroids into groups of three will boosts your firepower and defensive capabilities quite a bit via Close Formation. Also, if you are running a command Destroid, consider running the squadron as a 4 man diamond formation so that the CO also has the formation bonus.

Finally keep hit probabilities in mind.
Destroids will hit most Zentradi 50% of the time with Gnerls and Glaugs being the exceptions at 33% of the time.

Regults hit UEDF 50% of the time, excepting Spartans, Ghosts and Valk F mode ( 33%) and the Monster (16.67%).

Zenty Arty hits 2/3rds the time

Glaugs hit 83% of the time
Alpha 11
Palladin

Unread post by Alpha 11 »

Maxgravity wrote:Don't get fixated on Regults, go after the force multipliers like Recon, artillery and Glaugs.

Also don't forget to hug cover when possible. Regults hit most Destroids, as well as Valk B and G modes 50% of the time but if you are in light cover that drops to 1/3rd the time or 1/6th of the time in heavy cover.

Squadron formation is also important. If the enemy has no artillery, or has expended it all, grouping your destroids into groups of three will boosts your firepower and defensive capabilities quite a bit via Close Formation. Also, if you are running a command Destroid, consider running the squadron as a 4 man diamond formation so that the CO also has the formation bonus.

Finally keep hit probabilities in mind.
Destroids will hit most Zentradi 50% of the time with Gnerls and Glaugs being the exceptions at 33% of the time.

Regults hit UEDF 50% of the time, excepting Spartans, Ghosts and Valk F mode ( 33%) and the Monster (16.67%).

Zenty Arty hits 2/3rds the time

Glaugs hit 83% of the time

Wow. Nice info. Though I did figure out to go for the Officer Pod, etc. first.
Spinachcat
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Spinachcat »

Have you tried singing at the Zentraedi models? :)
Phaze
Megaversal® Ambassador Coordinator
Comment: Pirate Wisdom:
Rum is a journey, and a destination.

Unread post by Phaze »

Spinachcat wrote:Have you tried singing at the Zentraedi models? :)

:lol: ... no wait .... Is it Minmei? ... :puke:

Sorry, couldn't help myself.
I'll still enjoy watching you get blown off the table while you stare in helpless wonder at Phaze's marching legions of colored perfection. -- Godsgopher
BradyTech
D-Bee

Unread post by BradyTech »

ZydecoPanda, what are the Zents doing to win?

I want to do that.
Alpha 11
Palladin

Unread post by Alpha 11 »

Phaze wrote:
Spinachcat wrote:Have you tried singing at the Zentraedi models? :)

:lol: ... no wait .... Is it Minmei? ... :puke:

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

:lol: :lol:
ZydecoPanda
Newb

Unread post by ZydecoPanda »

BradyTech wrote:ZydecoPanda, what are the Zents doing to win?

I want to do that.

It could be very lucky dice results, but in smaller points games with not a massive amount of UEDF mecha on the table the Zents just seems to be able to take the UDEF down quite quickly with the massive amounts of fire power they can lay down.
Maxgravity
D-Bee

Unread post by Maxgravity »

Are you consistently rolling low? If so, try changing dice. One of the dirty secrets of gaming is that game dice are low quality to begin with and even "good" dice wear out to the point of no longer rolling truly random within a few hundred rolls on a soft surface, quicker on the typical dinner table. And your typical gamer dice bag only accelerates the problem.

If that's not it, what's your army composition, what's the size of your play area and how much terrain is on the table?

-MaxGravity

Return to “Robotech RPG Tactics™”