IS THERE ?

For all talk related to Robotech RPG Tactics™. A strategic, tactical board game brought to you by Palladium Books®, Ninja Division® and Harmony Gold®

Moderators: Phaze, Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

ZINO
Knight
Comment: NEVER QUIT..... I got lucky

IS THERE ?

Unread post by ZINO »

is there a list that tell you the points of individual mecha when starting with 150 ?
let your YES be YES and your NO be NO but plz no maybe
rosco60559
Explorer

Re: IS THERE ?

Unread post by rosco60559 »

The points are only on the squad cards.

Trust me I'd love to put down a goofy mixed squad for fun but they didn't give us the option.
ZINO
Knight

Unread post by ZINO »

rosco60559 wrote:The points are only on the squad cards.

Trust me I'd love to put down a goofy mixed squad for fun but they didn't give us the option.

well there facebook option
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

given all the units are under 150pts so far, no need for individual mecha points.

for example, 150pts will get you 1 valkyrie squadron (80pts) + 1 valkyrie support (40pts) + VF-1S valkyrie special (30pts) (assuming no upgrades) so 7 valkyrie
or you could easily take a valkyrie squadron and a destroid squadron, plus a few cheap upgrades. which would give you 8 mecha

the zentreadi stuff is much the same.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
ZINO
Knight

Unread post by ZINO »

ok ty
FatherMorpheus
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Rifts is a framework, if you don't like part of it don't use it.

Unread post by FatherMorpheus »

I noticed how the card point totals don't match the point values in the book on page 93 of the book. I couldn't add up the total points, it was really bugging me.

Is the game just not designed that way?
rosco60559
Explorer

Unread post by rosco60559 »

father, there are no actual points for the figs in the book. that should be for converting your rpg characters or making your own. the points for playing just a straight up game are on the cards so don't lose them or you're screwed.
FatherMorpheus
Megaversal® Ambassador

rosco60559 wrote:father, there are no actual points for the figs in the book. that should be for converting your rpg characters or making your own. the points for playing just a straight up game are on the cards so don't lose them or you're screwed.

Wow. So unlike every other game out there, the points are in the book they are only on the cards. OK. That is, well... Man, OK.

I guess I didn't realize that before.
Mike1975
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Mike1975 »

FatherMorpheus wrote:
rosco60559 wrote:father, there are no actual points for the figs in the book. that should be for converting your rpg characters or making your own. the points for playing just a straight up game are on the cards so don't lose them or you're screwed.

Wow. So unlike every other game out there, the points are in the book they are only on the cards. OK. That is, well... Man, OK.

I guess I didn't realize that before.

It's really simple. Any single unit can appear in a large number of squadrons and in different faction with different upgrades. Having it all in the book you would have to list every combination that that one unit could be with, plus the upgrades.

Example. The Spartan can be in a Brawler Squadron, A Close Combat Squadron, A Spartan Squad, numerous Malcontent Squadrons and Squads and each will have different upgrades and upgrade costs. Having it on the cards prevents some mistakes and confusion when building an army but can also be frustrating if you are used to things like 40k where a space marine is a space marine is a space marine and you pay for them individually to add to your force and only rarely as a full squad/squadron even if that is what you form with them later.

If you have problems go here....
http://robotech-rpg-tactics.wikia.com/w ... ctics_Wiki
FatherMorpheus
Megaversal® Ambassador

Mike1975 wrote: Having it on the cards prevents some mistakes and confusion when building an army but can also be frustrating if you are used to things like 40k where a space marine is a space marine is a space marine and you pay for them individually to add to your force and only rarely as a full squad/squadron even if that is what you form with them later.

That is the part which I didn't understand. Basically things are deployed as groups, rather than doing a full point build like 40K (and most other games). So we will need to purchase Group cards so we have the official point counts and the like.

Now I understand.
Forar
Hero

Unread post by Forar »

I still think that a couple pages (at most) summarizing the various cards (units within, points, upgrades by keyword) would have been a valuable inclusion to the book.
Mike1975
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Mike1975 »

Maxgravity
D-Bee

Unread post by Maxgravity »

FatherMorpheus wrote:
Mike1975 wrote: Having it on the cards prevents some mistakes and confusion when building an army but can also be frustrating if you are used to things like 40k where a space marine is a space marine is a space marine and you pay for them individually to add to your force and only rarely as a full squad/squadron even if that is what you form with them later.

That is the part which I didn't understand. Basically things are deployed as groups, rather than doing a full point build like 40K (and most other games). So we will need to purchase Group cards so we have the official point counts and the like.

Now I understand.

There's no need to purchase group cards separately. The cards come with the base game and the various boxed sets come with the appropriate cards for the units they contain.

-MaxGrav
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

and actually, in warhammer 40K you buy your forces as whole units.. very few army's do a per-figure point calc any more.
space marine's haven't had that since 4th edition (now you buy them in 5 or 10 man units, with the points covering the whole unit and their basic gear) and pretty much every force has been moving to that as they get updated.
and a lot of army's were using that even under 3rd edition.

and even when you did do per figure, you had a minimum and max size you had to follow. so ultimately you still had a per unit cost, you could just upgrade them with extra figures to make a bigger unit.

functionally similar to how in RTT you buy a core unit, then can add extra force cards to it..

and even under the 'kill team rules' which allowed small points games and got rid of cohesion within the squad you get to take.. you still had to take a full legal unit up to the points limit. so if your unit specified you had to have at least 5 guys, you had to take at least 5 guys.. you couldn't only take 2..

in 40K, you basically hadn't had the ability to buy a single figure from a unit since Rogue Trader/1st edition.. once they made the move to army based battles instead of squad sized skirmishs, you got locked into the "have to buy a full unit" dynamic.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website

Return to “Robotech RPG Tactics™”