ASC and Master mecha theorycrafting

For all talk related to Robotech RPG Tactics™. A strategic, tactical board game brought to you by Palladium Books®, Ninja Division® and Harmony Gold®

Moderators: Phaze, Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

warmaster21
D-Bee

ASC and Master mecha theorycrafting

Unread post by warmaster21 »

warning wall of text.

i know masters saga is a long way off if palladium decides to keep with it and go through all the series, but using the same formulas they used Edit for Stats and Conversions, the bioroids seem extremely weak by themselves...

pretty much all the bioroids only have 1 weapon system, and are extremely fragile, not to mention they are suppose to have a 2:1 kill ratio over ASC mecha, so im guessing they are going to either have really good pilots? or have some interesting rules to make up for it.

Edit for Stats and Conversions

with those stats, maybe everything is going to have rapid fire? im pretty sure they will have at the very least pilot/gunnery 2 as legionnaires are better pilots then zentradi battlepod pilots, and probably a similar defense. so we'll just go with pilot 2, gunner 2, defense 6 on the hoversleds, however conscrips are basically slaves so they could end up with pilot/gunnery 1 and potentially life is cheap, with the upgrade to be legionnaires with 2/2 stats?

so on the master sides we have Blue/green/Red/ and their upgraded versions which add 1-2mdc and maybe enough speed for a speed up

On the ASC side of things...

im curious to see how accurate my predictions turn out to be. but all in all i feel the ASC mecha are just weaker in general to UEDF, and Master mecha are pretty much equvilient to zentradi mecha or worse off (similar MDC, slower, less firepower, not counting hover sleds of course, but even with sleds they just have more mdc and arent as slow but still have no firepower)
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Re: ASC and Master mecha theorycrafting

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

i would assume that with mecha that are individually less powerful, their shortcomings would be offset by larger numbers per squadron, like with the battlepods in the current macross version.

so for example, instead of 4 to a squadron with Logans, it might be 6 or even 8.. and at lower points cost than 4 valk's.

emphasis in southern cross is likely to be on the ground battloids and VHT's (and hopefully ground vehicles) supported by veritechs and fighters instead of the macross style of veritechs backed up by destroids.

actually i suspect the VHT will end up being the 'go-to' unit in a ASC force the way VF-1's are in a UEDF force.. the ASC segment of the show revolves around Dana and the other hovertankers so in the RPG hovertanks seem to have a bit of an edge stats wise, and that will most likely translate to RTT as well.

i would also point out that the ASC mecha, in robotech continuity, were not really designed to fight bioroids, but rather human rebels and also zentraedi mecha.. in the form of malcontents and Dolza loyalists. Bioroids gave the ASC a lot of trouble at first in the show, and the RPG stats bear this out some. it wasn't until the ASC started deploying the Ajax that they could get an edge in space, and on the ground it took determined employment of combined arms and reliance on hovertanks to effect the balance.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Mike1975
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Mike1975 »

Note these were made before the official rules were released so they are a bit out of date but close enough for what you are doing.

Most of the "Drone" mecha for the Masters are to give them flavor and taken from the "Return of the Masters" RPG book.
warmaster21
D-Bee

Unread post by warmaster21 »

thanks for the insight.

masters saga is probably my favorite out of the 3 series so i was mostly just curious about what they were probably going to do. i figured the emphasis was going to be strongly on the hover tanks and ground forces of the southern cross, i was just too burned out after doing stuff to get around to converting the rpg book stats for the mecha ;)

after browsing through those cards mike graciously uploaded, im glad to see i wasnt too far off in my estimates.

but yeah after reading through the masters rpg book i had forgotten before then how "weak" everything was compared to the zentradi and UEDF forces.

though im definately looking forward to rolling with some invid which is my favorite race/faction out of all of the shows.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

given the size differences with some of the more common invid mecha (a scout for example is small enough to 'limpet' the back of a battlepod and pull a empire strike's back), it might be worthwhile to add a "multiple mecha on one base" mechanic to the later area's of play..

honestly this can be as simple as having 3 mecha per base, and each time you take a hit, roll 1D6 to see who takes it (1,2, to mecha A, 3,4 to mecha B, etc. with rerolls if it hits one already marked destroyed), and if it's a missile volley or a blast template, let the player divide up the damage as he wills, as long as all the damage is applied. (thus preventing them from doing massive overkill to one mecha in the group)
attacks would be trickier, but you could either just roll for each, or treat even direct fire attacks like volleys.

the same could be applied to MDC armored Infantry like the master's Terminators, ASC troops, Cyclones, invid Soldiers.. they'd only be 6-9mm tall, so you could put say, 6 to a base, (a squad), working the same as above.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

Okay, so here's the deal. The Forums of the Megaverse moderation team takes potential copyright violation extremely seriously. To quote the rules on the subject:

The Rules wrote:
6. Conversions
Posting the conversion (adaptation) of non-Palladium intellectual property to the Palladium Books game system will not be tolerated. Sorry. And in the same way,
Palladium property may not be converted to other game systems. For a longer explanation of this policy, read on.

7. Palladium Books Copyrighted Material
No part of Palladium's publications/books may be reproduced, in part or whole, in any form or by any means, without permission from the publisher, except for brief quotes for use in reviews. This means you may not ask to have rules posted or stats posted just because you don't own the book. If you want that info buy the book. You can post the rule from a book in answer to a question, but please be brief or paraphrase the rule. In short. Just stick to your rule in question. Do not post entire books or multiple pages, PDF files, artwork, etc. If someone is asking where a rule can be found, it is preferred that you post the book title, page number, and where on that page the information can be found, rather than quoting it out of the book in its entirety. We cannot grant permission to use or create derivative works from, or to take any of Palladium Books' registered trademarks, copyrighted materials and intellectual properties for commercial use or distribution, or financial gain. Individuals and companies looking to "license" a Palladium intellectual property are invited to contact the company directly and discuss the possibilities. A separate, written agreement between you and Palladium will always be required to use any of its trademarks, copyrighted works or intellectual properties. Also because of other licensing agreements that Palladium is actively working on, please note that permission to play online and post derivative works does not include permission to create, publish, and distribute any computer programs, whether they are computer games or computer character generators.

Please consider this paragraph your formal "limited license" to use Palladium copyrighted text and trademarks solely for your own "personal" and "limited use" and enjoyment on the net and other on-line services. In addition, Palladium grants you a "limited license" to create news works which are derivative of Palladium copyrighted text, so long as the resulting "derivative works" are for your "personal use" on the net or other online services, for personal fun, NOT for financial gain, is NOT published, sold, or actively distributed, and has the following statement, "The world, characters, likenesses, rules, titles, names, publications, trademarks and copyrights related to all Palladium Publications are owned and licensed exclusively by Palladium Books Inc.; all rights reserved, worldwide." Thank you.]

We also have a specific item specifically about Robotech

POSTING MECHA STATS OF ANY KIND = NO NO! wrote:
Unfortunately at this time, the posting any "Robotech/Macross" related mecha and/or gear is prohibited.
I just got off the phone with Kevin. They are still waiting to get some responses from Harmony Gold. Until we have a definitive answer, posting of "Robotech/Macross" related mecha and/or gear is NOT allowed.

This includes home-brewed, never before seen, custom drawn pieces of work.

Now, at the time this thread was started, nothing was specifically indicated about Robotech RPG Tactics and I understand the excitement the new game has caused. So I am not issuing any official warnings for this topic. However I have edited out the violating material and locked this thread. I am also in the process of updating the rules to reflect Robotech RPG Tactics copyright and conversion issues.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.

Return to “Robotech RPG Tactics™”