Demoing out of the box?

For all talk related to Robotech RPG Tactics™. A strategic, tactical board game brought to you by Palladium Books®, Ninja Division® and Harmony Gold®

Moderators: Phaze, Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Sakieh
D-Bee

Demoing out of the box?

Unread post by Sakieh »

I have done a bit a number crunching, and, while 2 core boxes and trading between
the two players is enough to get 300 points for each player(more for the UEDF player),
I realized that there should be a sort of 'demo straight from the box' to show off what
is in the box, not just what all one can get after you start. This thinking led me to think
"What is the iconic fight in Robotech?"

This is what I, from here on out, plan to use as my 'teaching/demo' force..what is everyone's
opinions? (Yes, I know that we do not have the special character Rick Hunter and Khyron
figures yet. Still, since there was nothing special about their Mecha, I figure just dropping them
in and saying that the VF-1S is Rick and the Glaug is Khyron is all one really needs to do)

Zentraedi: Regult Attrition Squadron with veteran warriors: 95 points
Glaug: 20 points
Upgrade to Khyron: 10 points
Salvage Pod: 10 points
Recon Pod: 15 points
Total: 150 points

UEDF: Valkyrie Squadron: 80 points
SDF Nose Lasers: 5 points
Long range missiles: 20 points
VF-1S 30 points
Long range missiles 5points
Rick Hunter: 10 points:
total: 150 points

Now, I went with this pairing because, well, Rick Hunter and Khyron were always the
iconic enemies, the ones who always faced each other across the field, and when
people think Robotech, they first think of Valkyries. (The other UEDF option is a stock, no
options Valkyrie Squadron, and a Destroid Area Denial Squadron with a Command Destroid,
but that would not be a fair game for a new Zentradi player.)
Battle Damage
D-Bee

Re: Demoing out of the box?

Unread post by Battle Damage »

I'd actually go with the second option, as it demonstrates more models and features of the game. I feel that this is the point of demo-ing the game. As teh person running hte demo, you can always adapt your play style to account for a new player. I suppose it depends on what your 'hook' is for drawing new players in: For me, it would be the variety of shiny toys. Others might go "oooh Rick Hunter!".
Sakieh
D-Bee

Unread post by Sakieh »

Battle Damage wrote:I'd actually go with the second option, as it demonstrates more models and features of the game. I feel that this is the point of demo-ing the game. As teh person running hte demo, you can always adapt your play style to account for a new player. I suppose it depends on what your 'hook' is for drawing new players in: For me, it would be the variety of shiny toys. Others might go "oooh Rick Hunter!".

True..and I can just throw Rick Hunter into the VF-1A and drop the Command Destroid..However, two units on one
side where the Zentradi player has to kill 8 models(that are individually tougher then theirs) while the UEDF player
only needs to take down 3 of the Zentradi models to score victory points is not really fair..You want it so that
whichever side the new player picks, it is a fair fight. I might, however, when doing demos just bring both force
options for the UEDF players, and if I get a new player who wants to play the UEDF, give them the two squads,
while if they want to play Zentradi, take the one squad.
warmaster21
D-Bee

Unread post by warmaster21 »

I havent tried them out yet, but the rulebook has a chain of demo scenarios that gradually introduces game mechanics to people, it keeps them nice and simple from what i can tell (2 vf-1a's against 6 battlepods) and gradually increases from there, though with the concession that life is cheap is removed so the zentradi side actually gets command points.

For demoing iv always found the simpler the demo is the easier it is to explain to people, if you go full bore right from the start you could scare some people away with making it seem alot more complex then it is then just showing different portions of the game gradually.

my $.02
Sakieh
D-Bee

Unread post by Sakieh »

warmaster21 wrote:I havent tried them out yet, but the rulebook has a chain of demo scenarios that gradually introduces game mechanics to people, it keeps them nice and simple from what i can tell (2 vf-1a's against 6 battlepods) and gradually increases from there, though with the concession that life is cheap is removed so the zentradi side actually gets command points.

For demoing iv always found the simpler the demo is the easier it is to explain to people, if you go full bore right from the start you could scare some people away with making it seem alot more complex then it is then just showing different portions of the game gradually.

my $.02

One of the problems I have in my area is people want to see the full game. I come from experience demoing BattleTech,
where I would do duels(Rifleman against an Orion was my preferred method, with me running the Rifleman). I am not trying
to win over people who have never played a miniatures wargame before..I am trying to win over people playing Warhammer
and Warmachine, people who do their demos by ROFLstomping a new player(something I really don't believe in..)
Battle Damage
D-Bee

Unread post by Battle Damage »

Sakieh wrote:
warmaster21 wrote:I havent tried them out yet, but the rulebook has a chain of demo scenarios that gradually introduces game mechanics to people, it keeps them nice and simple from what i can tell (2 vf-1a's against 6 battlepods) and gradually increases from there, though with the concession that life is cheap is removed so the zentradi side actually gets command points.

my $.02

One of the problems I have in my area is people want to see the full game. I come from experience demoing BattleTech,
where I would do duels(Rifleman against an Orion was my preferred method, with me running the Rifleman). I am not trying
to win over people who have never played a miniatures wargame before..I am trying to win over people playing Warhammer
and Warmachine, people who do their demos by ROFLstomping a new player(something I really don't believe in..)

I generally find that when I demo, I get my ass kicked anyway...

But guiding the new guy into the cool things he can do and then letting him unleash the fury generally helps generate interest.
Malcontent-Khyron
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Malcontent-Khyron »

my $.02

These Are the Exact Scenarios I have been using to Demo at My Local store Mostly the First one (2 Vf-1a's VS. 6 regult, Skirmish rules)
I also Have people that want to see the full game but normally I run them a basic Demo first letting them understand the basic mechanics then Me and another player will play out a full battle letting them watch, so that at least people on both sides of the board are using all of their abilities and weapons correctly.
Why are they using such primative weapons?

Return to “Robotech RPG Tactics™”