So what should be next for RRPGT?

For all talk related to Robotech RPG Tactics™. A strategic, tactical board game brought to you by Palladium Books®, Ninja Division® and Harmony Gold®

Moderators: Phaze, Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

tgunner91
Explorer

So what should be next for RRPGT?

Unread post by tgunner91 »

With Macross basically done and with the shipping of product in progress we're getting to the question: what next for the game?

I think a scenario book with more cards would be nice. It could cover the battles of the 1st Robotech War. Or it could be split into and released in parts. Say a book 1 that coveres the Battle of Macross Island (including the space battles before and right after the space fold). Then book two could cover the Battle of Saturn, Sara Base, Minmei's Birthday (Max and Ben's first outing) and the battles leading up to Doza's Armada. The final book could cover The Battle of Earth and Khyron's uprising.

Each book could have character cards, say 15 or so scenarios, added rules, and campaign rules for playing the scenarios in sequence.

To support this Palladium could run a sort of world wide campaign on their site.. Maybe like Avalon Hill did with Axis and Allies several years ago. They could also support a couple of tournies to support each book. That could generate interest, excitement, and funds that could lead us players through Macross and get us pumped for either Southern Cross or the Sentinels.

what do you think?
Forar
Hero

Re: So what should be next for RRPGT?

Unread post by Forar »

Point of order: Macross isn't remotely "done". There's another 2/3 of the product line to produce and ship still.

What should be next for RRT? Wave two.

With the other book lines they're working on, adding more books to it probably isn't a great idea anyway. From reading the other forums, it seems there's a lot of fans who would like PB to start clearing it's plate before adding more to it. And between those books and finishing wave two, they'll be busy for some time.
godsgopher
Wanderer

Unread post by godsgopher »

Fantastic ideas everyone of them. I strongly support them. However I think Palladium is going to bet really busy for the next six to eight months. With less than a month and a half to Christmas they still have to do their retail launch. And before that there are still several thousand Kickstarter backers to send stuff to. Don't forget none of the non-US backers have gotten there stuff yet though that's going to start happening very soon.

Once all the wave one guys get there stuff AND the retail launch of wave one has gone out its going to be a build up to Wave Two. While I think waves two will go much much faster, when its ready were going to go through all the same stuff again. Shipping from China, problems in logistics and missed dates (This stuff happens, I'm not making a criticism) and then shipping to us in the U.S. and then to the rest of the world. Now "IF" and I do say "IF" they can find a break in there then someone might have time to write a supplement book which again I think is a fantastic idea.

However I think it could easily be the last part of 2015 before we would even hear about such a thing. Not trying to be pessimistic just trying to consider the full timing.
tgunner91
Explorer

Forar wrote:Point of order: Macross isn't remotely "done". There's another 2/3 of the product line to produce and ship still.

With the other book lines they're working on, adding more books to it probably isn't a great idea anyway. From reading the other forums, it seems there's a lot of fans who would like PB to start clearing it's plate before adding more to it. And between those books and finishing wave two, they'll be busy for some time.

Errr... You're totally missing the point.

Macross is done. All of the primary mecha are done. They are just casting and shipping.

This thread is about what should be next. I personally want to see scenario books before they move on to Southern Cross or New Generation.

Also, this isn't about what "others" want. It's what you want to see next. Please reserve "plate clearing" and "wave 2 needs to go out" for another thread.
jedi078
Champion
Comment: The next group of player characters to surrender in one of my games are going to play Russian roulette.

Unread post by jedi078 »

tgunner91 wrote:I personally want to see scenario books before they move on to Southern Cross or New Generation.

I seriously doubt we'll be seeing any official scenario books for RRPGT anytime soon. When it comes to miniatures their focus is going to be on The Masters Saga and New Generation miniatures. Heck I wouldn't even be surprised if PB decides to do miniatures for Rifts (their own IP) before moving on to the other Robotech eras. The original Robotech RPG back in the late 1980's was a test of sorts for the MDC system which we see in Rifts.

Now we might see a Rifter article or two. But I'm not even sure if PB is accepting Rifter articles for RRPGT, as they do not currently accept articles for the Robotech RPG.
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem".
Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985
tgunner91
Explorer

I guess it comes down to what makes money and what people want. I think GW did it right with LOTR. They put out the figures then put out a lot of books with scenarios and new odds and ends. That sucked out a lot of money from me and gave me a lot of game play in exchange. I want the get as much play with Macross as I can before I start thinking Southern Cross and Next Generation.

But yeah, I'm in for the long haul. I loved the series and have always wanted to wargame it.
Mike1975
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Mike1975 »

Actually someone is working on a scenario book to present to PB, I've made a bunch of alternate factions and then you have the option for an advanced rules set and/or a detailed skirmish rules set. Plus additional upgrade options can be made available in an upgrades pack somewhere down the line.
Forar
Hero

Unread post by Forar »

tgunner91 wrote:Macross is done. All of the primary mecha are done. They are just casting and shipping.

Incorrect. According to Wayne they're still approving "3Ds" as of a week or two ago. Considering how long it took to get a dozen'ish figures approved for this wave, the next two dozen or so will probably take quite a while. They aren't "casting" (which I believe is generally reserved for resin and Pewter figures) yet at all, at least based on what we've been told.

And given how long milling that many molds will take, I imagine we'll know *long* before they start punching out wave two plastic in earnest.

This thread is about what should be next. I personally want to see scenario books before they move on to Southern Cross or New Generation.

Also, this isn't about what "others" want. It's what you want to see next. Please reserve "plate clearing" and "wave 2 needs to go out" for another thread.

I'm sorry if you disagree, but I think this is an extremely overly optimistic thread when, frankly, much of 2015 might be lined up already.

I would love for them to prove me wrong, but that's my answer until wave two is at least being loaded into containers.

If nothing else, there's not as much room to add scenarios and characters while so heavily limited to available figures. When the *entire* Macross line is on store shelves, that would be a perfect time to potentially broaden things with a scenarios book. With the added bonus of a years worth of player feedback and testing, in both a competitive setting and more casual games.

You asked what people think they should do next. That's my answer. Just because you don't like it doesn't make it invalid.

Edit: Hey Mike, how's that FAQ coming along?
Last edited by Forar on Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

tgunner91 wrote:
Forar wrote:Point of order: Macross isn't remotely "done". There's another 2/3 of the product line to produce and ship still.

Errr... You're totally missing the point.

Macross is done. All of the primary mecha are done. They are just casting and shipping.

nope. primary mecha not yet made:

Super VF-1 (A, J, S, D, R)
Armored VF-1 (A, J, S, D, R)
HWR-00 Monster
Quadaluun Rau "female" PA
Nousjadeul-Ger "male" PA
Zentraedi heavy infantry
Zentreadi light Infantry

secondary mecha not yet made:
YF-4
Jotun Armored VF (A, J, S, D)
QF-3000 Ghost
Lancer Space Fighter
Zent 'advanced' Male PA (forgot the name)

in regards to stuff i'd like to see in a 'wave 3' type thing?
a scenario/campaign book would be nice.
i'd love to see a kit for the Quel-Quallie Theatre Scout (which is a sort of small starship/large mecha.. with limited mecha transport ability and some guns/missiles good for support.)

i'd also like to see more of the human non-mecha.. the F-203 Dragon and the Comanchero copter for example, also maybe a kit with a UEDF shuttlecraft and some of the ground transports to provide convoy vehicles..)
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
jedi078
Champion
Comment: The next group of player characters to surrender in one of my games are going to play Russian roulette.

Unread post by jedi078 »

Mike1975 wrote:Actually someone is working on a scenario book to present to PB, I've made a bunch of alternate factions and then you have the option for an advanced rules set and/or a detailed skirmish rules set. Plus additional upgrade options can be made available in an upgrades pack somewhere down the line.

A lot of the random encounters from the 1st edition Robotech RPG books would be great place to start when building scenarios. I even have a few scenarios from my PbP game (it's been running for almost nine years now) that could be converted to RRPGT.

I'm pretty sure many other GM's could produce a list of scenarios from the games they've run.

Heck is there anything against posting scenarios here in the forums?
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem".
Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985
silvermoon383
Wanderer

Unread post by silvermoon383 »

As long as we don't list stats I can't think of a reason why not.
warmaster21
D-Bee

Unread post by warmaster21 »

I would like to see them make some of the non mecha units, like the Commanchero, the F203 dragon, and the cats eye specifically.
andrewdrexler
Newb

Unread post by andrewdrexler »

My 2 cents on what should be next;
First there should be some outreach through to the established mini gamer channels. Beasts of War, Bell of Lost Souls, some YouTube videos made in house, etc. Get some exposure for the game before retail release so when it comes out there is a buzz that is other than just Kickstarter backers who have had the product under a microscope since day one (how many of us cheered every time an email from the Kickstarter showed up?). Bring 3d printed masters of the wave two items or something new with you so people who are not “in house” can see them and comment on them.
Get some articles into the Rifter. The quarterly format and price point is excellent for keeping RTT supported and fresh without releasing supplement after supplement (like GW for example). Painting guides, pro painted figures, scenarios, mini campaigns, basing examples, converting ideas, Battle Reports, terrain building, etc. A whole new facet of the hobby has opened up, and if it is not supported RTT will slowly lose momentum and wither away.
Go to the various laser cut MDF terrain companies (MAS, Shark Mounted Lasers, Mad Mecha Guy, and Burnt In Designs for example) and get them involved in making terrain for the game. Show their products prominently in your battle reports and let them say their terrain is “official RTT” or some such. Infinity did something similar in its infancy to gin up terrain production for its game, and 6mm is such a niche scale that there is just not a lot of terrain out there for it yet.
Get a real demo team together. Not just running convention games, but demos at game stores. Also, support the toury\competitive play aspect of the game with something worth having. It does not have to be a solid gold SDF-1, or confer an advantage to the winners, but it HAS to be cool and worth attending the toury\event for. Fantasy Flight does counters and alternate art game cards that are great.
All of these can be done BEFORE or in conjunction with Wave 2. A miniatures game is a far different beast than a RPG and requires a different outlook and support system for supporting it.
Everyman
D-Bee
Comment: Don’t argue with Idiots.. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Unread post by Everyman »

I have to agree with Andrew that they really need to promote the game a bit more. With the retail street date apparently set for November 26th, they have not really done much advertising for the system. They also really need to add pictures of high quality painted miniatures to the web site store as that is a key factor in selling miniature games.

As far as what I would like to see next, first off would be a FAQ since there are a number of questions that have already arisen about the game. While I am not surprised since they wrote the rules as if this was a role playing game (which would have a GM and allow for interpretation of the intent of the rules), this is a miniature game and for competitive play there are a number of things that need clarification (and that is from just one day of skimming over the rules).

Personally, I would far rather see them adding the additional eras then trying to expand this one; since for a miniature game to be really popular it needs to have supported competitive play and with only two (or three depending on if you count the Malcontents) factions there is not enough to support long term competitive play. Generally most people expect somewhere in the area of six to ten factions for a miniature game at that level.
There are 10 kinds of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.
tgunner91
Explorer

Very true. There are some YouTube vids on the game, but it's not the major players like you guys mentioned. I asked my local brick and mortar about it and they said that they had never heard of it. I'm sure that will change somewhat in the days to come.

One thing that will help is to have some events and tourneys at Origins, Gencon, and the HMGS cons. Also there could be some megaversal ambassador activity too. I inquired about this but never got an answer. I guess Palladium and the Ninjas are all focused on getting Kickstarter product out for the now.

Very true though about miniatures driving sales, but GW put out books with their lines too. That would be Palladium's strength here. Writing RPG materials isn't too far out from writing war game books. However they have a lot of stuff on their plate in that area too. It would be cool though to see RPG tactics stuff in the coming UEDF Marines book though.

Return to “Robotech RPG Tactics™”