Hex color codes help with painting?

For all talk related to Robotech RPG Tactics™. A strategic, tactical board game brought to you by Palladium Books®, Ninja Division® and Harmony Gold®

Moderators: Phaze, Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

bielmic
Dungeon Crawler

Hex color codes help with painting?

Unread post by bielmic »

There was a mention in the recent update about spending the next few days adding hex color codes to the Robotech painting guide.

I finished layout of the color guide for the rulebook... only to then have it pointed out by Ninja Chris that we could improve it by listing hex color codes for each paint scheme. You can see the first one in this image. Jeff’s going to go through and add them over the next few days. I've still got a couple of rules clarifications to add elsewhere in the book, and hope to get that stuff done next week.

I was under the impression that hex codes are only useful when painting in computer programs like MSpaint and Photoshop but I don't recall ever seeing Hex codes on minis paint bottles. Is there something I missed over the past 20 years of acrylic model paint use? If the painting guide needs paints, is contacting popular independent paint companys like Vallejo to see if you can use their paint names (if they're trademarked... most aren't unless you're talking about GW paints) a better option? I just can't see spending a few days worth of time on something that seemingly won't help outside of the digital realm as being the best time management choice for a company that keeps saying they're working so long and hard week after week. Perhaps that time would be better spent nicely assembling the models on the test sprues you have and taking some quality pics... or perhaps putting together an art free file of the rules onto the Kickstarter for people to check out instead as a thanks for waiting for 8+ months and counting.

If someone knows of a model paint line that is classified by hex code, please feel free to post a link here. I just have a nagging fear that this may end up a good intention that is a waste of time better spent on other things.
Congratulations, Palladium Books. You just threw away a customer of 28 years because of how you handled Robotech Tactics.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Re: Hex color codes help with painting?

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

actually, you can with a little internet searching find sites that will take those hex codes and tell you which paint to buy in different brands.

this site even has a search feature by hex code: http://scalemodeldb.com/paint

so for example, if i punch in F8A13A , i find i can use Revell's # 32115 , or model master # 52920, etc. to get a color that is roughly correct. (often the shades are not exact sadly)

and most companies do use hex codes for their colors.. they just don't usually put them on the bottles. usually that is "go to the site" type stuff..

that said, i do wish they'd add a little square of 'reference color' to each code, not just list them in text.. that would make it easier to tell which is which and thus narrow down the search.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website

Return to “Robotech RPG Tactics™”