Future of RRT

For all talk related to Robotech RPG Tactics™. A strategic, tactical board game brought to you by Palladium Books®, Ninja Division® and Harmony Gold®

Moderators: Phaze, Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Kryptt
Adventurer
Comment: Macross fan first
Robotech fan second

Future of RRT

Unread post by Kryptt »

With the uproar over how so many backers are disappointed with the minis I'm surprised it's not being discussed here were we will eventually make this the home for RRT. I hope PB can help get excitement for RRT back. This is a plea that I hope the rest of the minis don't end up like the vf-1 fighter and spartan. It's gotten to the point that over at the RRT ks and FB people are trying to sell their stuff because they can't get a refund.
Kryptt
Adventurer
Robotech fan second

Re: Future of RRT

Unread post by Kryptt »

And now it's spreading to dakka.
Mike1975
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Mike1975 »

I think it all depends on what PB can scramble to fix/share. I hope this can be fixed like the Template mess. It's going to need something pretty big though.
Kryptt
Adventurer
Robotech fan second

Unread post by Kryptt »

It sounds like things will stay as is. Not a happy camper right now.
Forar
Hero

Unread post by Forar »

As noted elsewhere, the "template mess" should've been a non-issue for anyone paying attention. I'm reasonably certain we'd been told ages ago that they would be transparent plastic, so the grey 'prototype' or whatever it might've been obviously wasn't the end product. And aside from a few comments, very few people even took notice. I mean, it's a template, for frak's sake.

However, here, we have a much larger issue. Even if the Spartan is an exception to the rule, and most of the figures are lower on the piece count/easier for construction, we've already seen others with 16-22+ pieces.

Even at the best case scenario, I think it's finally settling in just how many pieces are involved in building 1 or 10 or 100 or 400 of these figures.

We got a killer deal (compared to MSRP/retail prices) with the KS campaign, but is it really that killer a deal if most people only build a fraction of what they have coming?
bielmic
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by bielmic »

I'm very concerned about the miniatures now. Until the past two updates, I've been telling myself that at least I'll have a big pile of cool Robotech minis even if the significant rules loopholes/issues brought up during the KS aren't addressed and the delivery date continues to backslide further and further into 2014 (let's face it... June is already not happening as a delivery date for pledgers and Gencon is frankly starting to look questionable). That unfortunately is no longer a valid reassurance. Those with blind faith kept telling us and shouting down valid concerns that the delays mean we'll get quality minis but that isn't the case if the sprues stay as previewed and Palladium will have nothing to show for an 8 month delay (from the revised October date) and counting.
Congratulations, Palladium Books. You just threw away a customer of 28 years because of how you handled Robotech Tactics.
Kryptt
Adventurer
Robotech fan second

Unread post by Kryptt »

That's just it. Even the defenders aren't chiming in on the ks page. Even they can see that this is a legitimate concern.
bielmic
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by bielmic »

Not everyone (referencing the snap-tite dismissal in another thread).... In any case, poorly laid out sprues and cheap looking minis will hurt palladium more than anyone else. Macross is already the most popular era and would likely draw the most pledges but the significant delays in the delivery will hurt further campaigns. If the rules end up a jumbled and abusable mess and the minis are fiddley and awkward for no reason then the next campaign (and Macross retail sales) will be hurt further. I want the game to succeed but it seems like this whole endeavor has been post KS campaign has been run in a very amateurish fashion. Promises of early delivery dates 1 day after the KS, no communication for weeks at a time last summer, the max/miriya debacle, holes in the rules you can drive a truck through never getting an official comment, proclamations of being good last fall when everyone sees that things are significantly behind, and now the icing on the cake poor sprue layout and unacceptable mold lines front and center on the models.
Congratulations, Palladium Books. You just threw away a customer of 28 years because of how you handled Robotech Tactics.
MurderCityDisciple
Adventurer
Location: Formerly:Detroit, Michigan (West Side) Now in Dearborn: Which has 98.7% less arson.

Unread post by MurderCityDisciple »

I'm still scratching my head why the hell would somebody make a game with so much assembly. Especially one attached to a roleplaying game.

Ninja Divisions newest game has one piece figures that are detailed and ready to play instantly.

Super Dungeon Explore

Wouldn't this be a much better product with ready to go pieces, color coded to faction?

I've been reading the Kickstarter comments and Wow! It's bad....very bad. A total PR fiasco, the word of mouth for this product has to be in the frikken toilet. If Palladium doesn't make the Gen Con deadline....yikes!

Also....did I read the last update correctly. 7 to 14 books for 2014???
“It's too bad that stupidity isn't painful.” - Anton LaVey

"God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh." - Voltaire

"The die is cast." - Julius Caesar [Ultimate Powergamer]
Jorel
Champion
Comment: I'm a Derrik, Derriks don't run.

Unread post by Jorel »

I know the number of pieces combines with the size is a huge turn off for me.
Customer Service Director for Northern Gun

"The Devil's among us!
Stay back boy!...This calls for Divine Intervention!
I kick arse for the Lord!"
-Father McGruder- Braindead (a.k.a. Dead Alive)
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

To run at my local con, I'll need, realistically, 2 sets of VF-1s (6 models), 2-4 destroids, and 6-12 Pods. IF i do not get these by Gencon....I won't be running it at y local con in September. Unlike some, I do not have the time to dedicate to dozens of minis to get them assembled and painted in only a few weeks. Even 12-22 minis would be iffy if I only get them early August to field them for the cone by late September. I am usually working 5-6 days a week and 60-70 hours that time of year. Combine that with a wife and three kids all aged 10+ and even my days off are pretty filled. Depending on the assembly needed I may ONLY do the VF-1s and 6 pods and hope it's enough to get people interested. If I am unable to show how "good" the other units are will be a large disadvantage for me if that is the route I end up going.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Asterios
Explorer

Unread post by Asterios »

As it goes, there are many valid concerns about this project, because of the delays we were told it was because of quality miniatures, this does not seem to be the case, at the end of the kickstarter Palladium focused all energies into their Con exclusive figures and put the rest on the back burners (yes con exclusives and game pieces are done in a separate way due to medium being used on them, resin and plastic), now with them relying on Ninja Division to do these models on time is not feasible when Ninja Division is already almost 2 years late on another kickstarter they are involved in not too mention they have a new kickstarter they are running right now.

we will have 6 months from the time the molds are tooled and cut to when we will see product, but as the recent Spartan update showed us, these designs are anything but "Quality" product, already backers are trying to sell their pledges, since once product is shipped and shown to be inferior product eBay will be flooded with people trying to get some of their investment back, already a couple businesses which have done pre-orders on this game line are receiving cancelations of the pre-orders.

My question is what is Palladium going to do, will they stand behind their product or just let it go the way it is.
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

I have no intention of getting rid of anything. My concern with the delay is my ability to get the game shown and demoed. I can do a decent paint job and likely cover the seams but that takes time and that time I may likely miss the next con as an excellent chance to get it shown. That leaves me trying to show it at my local shop until next March's con. My local shop is already running games nightly already so I may not even be able to do that as they are busy with Heroclix and other mini games along with CCG nights.

I want this to succeed as much as the next guy. I am just afraid it may end up stillborn as far as my area is concerned.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Kryptt
Adventurer
Robotech fan second

Unread post by Kryptt »

Here's a video from the gama show.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=share&v=pR-z5PBsJx4

Looks like most of the models will be split in half. The open cockpit Miriya looks pretty good as does the recovery pod. I noticed a huge seam line on the Gnerl.
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

And for the record I have a more selfish reason I want this to succeed like gangbusters....I want a Rifts version.

\m/
Kryptt
Adventurer
Robotech fan second

Unread post by Kryptt »

Seeing the NG-1 cover and some of the mecha line art. I'm inclined to agree with Jaymz. I didn't grow up on rifts, not my thing but with minis that can change. Some of the mechs I've seen from the books look like they would make for awesome crossover games with RRT.
MurderCityDisciple
Adventurer
Location: Formerly:Detroit, Michigan (West Side) Now in Dearborn: Which has 98.7% less arson.

Unread post by MurderCityDisciple »

Oh my...they look like those toys you get from a grocery store vending machine. I know, my kid used to get them all the time. Little snap lock robots and whatnot. Had similar gaps.

I will wait and see if this thing totally spirals out of control...ahem...and I plan on picking up a set of destroids and a few zentan. But if the models are going to be more than 3 bucks a piece, screw that.

In a sick, sad way I am enjoying the horror show that is the Kickstarter page comments. Has there ever been a Kickstarter that's been this negative?
In the same ballpark as the Kitten Grinder 2000 or Lil' Auschwitz Baking Babies Playset, methinks.
“It's too bad that stupidity isn't painful.” - Anton LaVey

"God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh." - Voltaire

"The die is cast." - Julius Caesar [Ultimate Powergamer]
Kryptt
Adventurer
Robotech fan second

Unread post by Kryptt »

MurderCityDisciple wrote:Oh my...they look like those toys you get from a grocery store vending machine. I know, my kid used to get them all the time. Little snap lock robots and whatnot. Had similar gaps.

I will wait and see if this thing totally spirals out of control...ahem...and I plan on picking up a set of destroids and a few zentan. But if the models are going to be more than 3 bucks a piece, screw that.

In a sick, sad way I am enjoying the horror show that is the Kickstarter page comments. Has there ever been a Kickstarter that's been this negative?
In the same ballpark as the Kitten Grinder 2000 or Lil' Auschwitz Baking Babies Playset, methinks.

Unfortunately your not the only one. Sad. This is being discussed on a few other miniature forums. The mayhem here is barely tame compared to the other macross and warhammer boards.

As for them looking like cheap toys that seems to be the general consensus. I'm not looking for a refund or plan on selling them yet until I get the models in my hands. Even though the last two updates created this situation I call Seamgate.
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Kryppt - tactics minis style would be awesome I think for the Northern Gun 2 Robodome....

\m/
Forar
Hero

Unread post by Forar »

MurderCityDisciple wrote:But if the models are going to be more than 3 bucks a piece, screw that.

... nobody point him to the MSRPs yet.

I need to grab my camera.

This is going to be great.
Asterios
Explorer

here ya go for the MSRPs or what palladium will be selling it for:

http://palladium-store.com/1001/categor ... ctics.html

Average model price is from $6 - $8 ea.
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Starter box is 99.95 for 34 minis. That isn't that bad. It's the add ons that get pricier.

\m/
Forar
Hero

Unread post by Forar »

And like X-Wing, it wouldn't shock me if some people eventually snagged 2 starters to buff up their forces.

Not that $200 (before possible retailer discounts) is a small sum just to fluff up the 'chaff' for the most part, but if one was looking to buff up their forces cost effectively, it wouldn't be a bad way to go.
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

very true. 30 VF models, 8 destroids, 24 pods, 2 glaugs, 2 scout pods, 2 recovery pods for 200 bucks aint bad

\m/
Spinachcat
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Spinachcat »

Is it allowed to post links to the other discussion of RTT?

I would be interested in reading them.

I am very saddened by what I have been reading. RTT was supposed to be Palladium's shining moment entering a new marketplace. Now, there are too many indications that this KS will only further alienate and disappoint fans and potential fans. AKA, exactly the opposite of what we as fans and Palladium as a company needed to occur.

Wow. I can't get angry because if the fears online turn out to be true, I am 100% confident that I can flip the minis on eBay for at least what I paid for them. But I am concerned that the end result of this KS will be a disappointment.
Asterios
Explorer

Spinachcat wrote:Wow. I can't get angry because if the fears online turn out to be true, I am 100% confident that I can flip the minis on eBay for at least what I paid for them. But I am concerned that the end result of this KS will be a disappointment.

Actually one of the biggest fears now is people who want out won't be able to get their money back, many have already been trying to sell their pledges, and several buyers who have made pre-orders with companies are already backing out of their pre-orders. at this rate if the minis come to our worse fears people will be lucky to get half of what they invested in their pledges with the market being glutted like it is, even now you can pre-order robotech items on eBay for less then what the backers paid.
Spinachcat
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Spinachcat »

I have been selling on eBay for a long time. Gluts happen, but they generally last a couple months. It's panic selling, like how D&D stuff sells for nothing right before a new edition launches and then bounces back to 50% to 200% of MSRP about a year later.

If anyone on this thread is concerned about reselling, take your box of KS goodies, put it on a safe shelf and leave if for a year or two. Then put it on eBay for 30 days and list it at least at your original price. If you play it smart, you will be able to link to many images online of fully painted minis done by others so you can promote your sale by saying "hey, this is what you could do!" - also smart sellers promote their stuff on forums to gather interest.

It will take a couple hours work, but I doubt anyone has to lose any money, especially if you wait. I am expecting to double my money if I don't decide to invest in a semi-pro painter/modeler to assemble and paint the minis for me.
Tiree
Champion
Comment: Token Right Wing Fascist Totalitarian
"Never hit a man while he's down. Kick them, it's easier" - The Hunt

Unread post by Tiree »

I just checked on Ebay - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Robotech-RPG-Ta ... 0707651969 It looks like it's a game store that bought a 'lot' of mini's. Doesn't look too bad, and the discount isn't that big.
Forar
Hero

Unread post by Forar »

Asterios wrote:even now you can pre-order robotech items on eBay for less then what the backers paid.

I don't believe this is true except in fringe cases.

Battle Cry pledges have sold for significantly more than backers paid, and I highly doubt many people were buying basic figures through the add ons, which weren't nearly as good a deal as a Battle Cry or two. Hell, they weren't as good a deal as buying an extra core box / "first contact" to buff up the numbers even.

The current ebay seller is selling below MSRP (and I don't think they've adjusted their prices to reflect the increase), but backers who bought Battle Cry tier(s) paid around 1/4 MSRP in the first place.
Asterios
Explorer

Forar wrote:
Asterios wrote:even now you can pre-order robotech items on eBay for less then what the backers paid.

I don't believe this is true except in fringe cases.

Battle Cry pledges have sold for significantly more than backers paid, and I highly doubt many people were buying basic figures through the add ons, which weren't nearly as good a deal as a Battle Cry or two. Hell, they weren't as good a deal as buying an extra core box / "first contact" to buff up the numbers even.

The current ebay seller is selling below MSRP (and I don't think they've adjusted their prices to reflect the increase), but backers who bought Battle Cry tier(s) paid around 1/4 MSRP in the first place.

Sadly not recently, there are some backers who are trying to sell their product for slightly less then what they paid for them with no takers, so if you know where they can get their money back or more list it so people can go there.
Forar
Hero

Unread post by Forar »

Oh, there've definitely been a couple of people trying to sell below the original price recently, but that's been born out of frustration trying to recoup any sort of costs at all due to the no-refund policy that is in place.

Considering the massive savings that were found in those tiers originally, selling piecemeal once the products begin delivering is another kettle of fish entirely.

But I can't fault people for wanting out. 3 months post delivery target with another 3-4 minimum just to see wave one, and even that is looking less and less likely as the days go by? Taking a minor trim to ones contribution in order to actually see that money back isn't an unreasonable stance to take.
Mike1975
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Mike1975 »

There were quite a few on DakkaDakka saying they wanted to sell. I offered to post what they wanted to sell on the Facebook page and even gave my personal email so that they could send me a list. I only had one taker. To me there is much more barking than actual biting going on.
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Yeah for now that may be the case. Let's see what happens IF they miss the promised June/July shipping goal...

\m/
Morgan Vening
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Morgan Vening »

Mike1975 wrote:There were quite a few on DakkaDakka saying they wanted to sell. I offered to post what they wanted to sell on the Facebook page and even gave my personal email so that they could send me a list. I only had one taker. To me there is much more barking than actual biting going on.

Though, on the flip side, there was only one potentially interested buyer, and that is still in development.

So it's not like it was snapped up, lickety split, either.
Kryptt
Adventurer
Robotech fan second

Unread post by Kryptt »

I don't see anybody buying other pledges with the way the models are done. If they were miniatures yes. As is no.
Jorel
Champion
Comment: I'm a Derrik, Derriks don't run.

Unread post by Jorel »

I recently bought a pledge of AvP during the Backerkit. I'm actually curious if anyone has had any luck selling off their pledge. Aside from Zero. We know he sold his to Pedro.
Customer Service Director for Northern Gun

"The Devil's among us!
Stay back boy!...This calls for Divine Intervention!
I kick arse for the Lord!"
-Father McGruder- Braindead (a.k.a. Dead Alive)
Forar
Hero

Unread post by Forar »

There've been a few people mentioning success getting money back through their bank/credit card, and some attempted sales, but I haven't been compiling a list or anything.
Morgan Vening
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Morgan Vening »

The one offer I had, fell through. So I'll likely be looking at the alternate option later today.

Return to “Robotech RPG Tactics™”